2013 Acrobatic and Tumbling 3x National Champions

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I know we were all waiting with great anticipation for the outcome against the Quinnapac Bobcats and the Lady Ducks came through.
HAMDEN, Conn.—The No. 1 seed University of Oregon acrobatics and tumbling team defeated the No. 2 seed Quinnipiac Bobcats Saturday afternoon 277.885-273.655 in Hamden, Conn. to win the NCATA National Championship for the third year in a row.

“We had a couple of stumbles in this meet that we usually do not have in Acro and a couple of things in Team Routine,” said head coach Felecia Mulkey. “I’m very impressed with the team for how well they recovered from those things. Whenever there was an issue, all of them were able to turn around and get as many points as they could in that particular heat.”

Oregon swept the Compulsory round, totaling 38.45 points to QU’s 36.8 thanks in part to a perfect 10.0 in Heat 2 and a 9.95 in Heat 3. The Ducks won the first two heats of the Acro round with scores of 9.95 and 9.55 before Quinnipiac answered back by winning Heat 3. Overall, UO just edged QU 27.76-27.52 in the round.

“In the 7-element Acro, there was a huge bobble in the middle, but they were really able to maintain ground with how they executed the rest of that heat. We’ve been working on that all year and they were able to do that today,” added Mulkey.

The Pyramid round was another extremely close one as the teams tied at 29.65 after tying the first heat and splitting the next two. Oregon recorded another perfect 10 in Heat 2. Going into halftime, Oregon led 95.86-93.97.

UO came out of halftime on fire as it swept the Toss and Tumbling rounds, topping Quinnipiac 29.35-27.80 and 57.88-55.83, respectively. The Ducks recorded scores of 9.95 or higher in the final three Tumbling heats.

Up by 5.49 before the Team Routine, Oregon looked to put the meet away in the final event. While Quinnipiac won the Team Routine 96.06-94.80, the Ducks were able to score enough points to seal the win and their third straight National Championship.

“I think the three-peat was well deserved by this group of athletes. We have a really young team and have some great athletes coming in next year. I can’t wait to get started, but we have to take two weeks off,” added Mulkey with a huge grin on her face.
http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =207449760
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

There are only 9 schools that have this sport. But hey, it's a good title ix balancing sport. Cheap and a good number of women's scholarships.

Sent from my iPad
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Actually, it isn't ncaa so idk if it counts for title ix.

Sent from my iPad
Duck07
All-American

Re: 2013 Acrobatic and Tumbling 3x National Champions

Post by Duck07 »

USUaggieDuck wrote:Actually, it isn't ncaa so idk if it counts for title ix.

Sent from my iPad
The NCAA is a racket with the billions of dollars they rake in off the backs of "amateur-athletes." I was under the impression that when we scrapped wrestling and added baseball we had to add A&T to make us Title9 compliant. Title 9 is all about sex discrimination yet the NCAA will allow women to play football but they won't allow men to play say Volleyball unless it is a separate volleyball team. This would violate the 4th Amendment of "equal protection" where Title 9 gets its origin yet a federal judge recently ruled on Qunnipac:
The school already was under an injunction issued in this case by U.S. District Court Judge Stefan R. Underhill in 2010 after he found the school had been manipulating its athletic rosters to make it appear that women had more opportunities than they did. The judge also ruled that competitive cheerleading had not developed enough to be considered a college sport for Title IX purposes. That ruling was upheld by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Title IX, in 1972, opened doors for girls and women by banning sex discrimination in all federally funded school programs, including sports.

The school had previously insisted it would continue to pursue acrobatics and tumbling despite the ruling. But on Friday, it backed away from that position.

"The court has ruled that acrobatics and tumbling is not in their view an approved NCAA sport for Title IX purposes, and as a result the university will have to review its status and continuation going forward," Bushnell said in her statement. "The university currently sponsors only NCAA-approved intercollegiate sports and not club sports."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/04/2 ... z2RmLvfAEA
What good are the courts right now if they actively prevent a sport from becoming one by questioning its athletic virtue? Golf is an activity, its not a sport otherwise I might be a NCAA Dodgeball or 4-square champ!