All Pac-12

Re: Oregon loses AAU status?

Post by Phenom »

Weak...
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

"The UO also is one of two Pacific Northwest members of the Association of American Universities."

This, from the new statement, makes it appear Oregon is still a member of the AAU.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

Oregon is an AAU member and not in danger of leaving!!! For many years we were not a Carnegie "Very High Research Institution" because they did not have the information. That was corrected and we are in no danger of not having that ranking.

OK before the negative Ducks jump in and start complaining about academic excellence at UO here is my challenge. If you think UO academic are not top tier then you should be able to answer just one of the questions below without google.

A hint that will help your guess...all the rankings are in the top ten! Several are #1

Where does the architecture program rank nationally?
Where does interior architecture rank nationally?
Where does the creative writing program rank nationally?
Where does the education program rank nationally?
Where does special ed rank nationally?
Where does journalism rank nationally?
Who has the most admired environmental law program?
Where does Warsaw rank nationally?
There are just 40 student selected world wide to be named a Marshall Scholar..was one a Duck last year?
How many Fulbright Scholars do we have annual and have we had the most nationally with in the last five years?
How many Goldwater Scholar/Researcher do we have?
Was a UO Researcher awarded a National Science Medal last year?

It's late so I don't have time to generate question for the other schools but "ditto" will do.

Our problems aren't teaching and research excellence. We are faced with funding, class size, small grad population and small facilities not problems of excellence. We now get less than 5% of our funding from the state.The operational cost for UO is about $850k per year. If you have a complaint write a letter to Salem.

For me I'm proud the Department of Architecture is ranked #1 in Sustainable Design and #6 among all publics. I'm proud that my dean was name the outstanding architecture educator in the US last year. I attended three universities and I'm proud that my degree says University of Oregon.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

So, I actually go to this school, and the academics are pretty weak in terms of intelligence of the student body, their academic capability, that kind of stuff. I don't care what some rankings say, anyone who says UO is elite is deluded or unaware.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

That's the norm at most public universities.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Tray Dub wrote:So, I actually go to this school, and the academics are pretty weak in terms of intelligence of the student body, their academic capability, that kind of stuff. I don't care what some rankings say, anyone who says UO is elite is deluded or unaware.
How many other colleges have you attended for comparison purposes?
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

gogreen55 wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:So, I actually go to this school, and the academics are pretty weak in terms of intelligence of the student body, their academic capability, that kind of stuff. I don't care what some rankings say, anyone who says UO is elite is deluded or unaware.
How many other colleges have you attended for comparison purposes?
A good question. I attended graduate school at one of the more selective public universities on the West Coast, and during my time there worked for various professors grading papers, working discussion groups, etc.... I can say with pretty clear certainty, and with a few exceptions, there wasn't much noticeable drop off in intelligence from their undergraduate student body to what I experienced while earning my degree from the UO.
AKA: CAgrown
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Old press 2007 release boiler-plate:

About the University of Oregon

The University of Oregon is a world-class teaching and research institution and Oregon's flagship public university. The UO is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), an organization made up of 62 of the leading public and private research institutions in the United States and Canada. Membership in the AAU is by invitation only. The University of Oregon is one of only two AAU members in the Pacific Northwest.

New:

About the University of Oregon

The University of Oregon is among the 108 institutions chosen from 4,633 U.S. universities for top-tier designation of "Very High Research Activity" in the 2010 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. The UO also is one of two Pacific Northwest members of the Association of American Universities.

But our jocks are now way ahead of OSU:

Diane Dietz has the story and data on UO here. I got the OSU data from their very complete Research Office data page, here. Both are "Federal Flow Through" totals, which are the easiest to find directly comparable data. They include spending on outreach and instruction, but it's mostly research money and the trends look similar no matter how you cut it. That's the table on the left. The table on the right shows athletic department spending, from USAToday. (Official UO and OSU numbers for 2012.)
Apparently they are upset that we edited out "Oregon's flagship public University." Nothing about that states that we are losing our AAU status/accreditation and to make that leap is pretty funny.

If I was going to make an argument about education, I wouldn't compare us to other US institutions but rather point out how the AmeriCAN Edumaction Systuhm has been failing over the years in relation to the rest of the world. Its nice that we're good at creative writing and we teach the absurd "enthymeme" rather than teaching students how to write a proper thesis (WR121 Teacher: Oh, but an enthymeme is like a thesis, but we think you're too f'in stupid to grasp the concept so we want you to use some training wheels for a few terms) but there is no escaping our national issues in math and science. If I was a genie and could instill a single trait into young students, it would be patience.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

ya i agree completely but i feel like the professors should be the ones who are intelligent enough to challenge an individual rather than the student body (even thought that is important, i transferred from LCC to U of O, enough said), and many of the professors i have had at U of O do that.

edit: so i guess i partially agree, because i can see where the rankings could come from.