Bud Lee's Beer Thread

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Bud Lee's Beer Thread

Post by Bud Lee »

I like beer....I like talking about beer...so I figured why not start a thread.

Just uncorked a bottle of Samuel Adams Stony Brook Ale. Very nice ale that is aged in a oak barrel. Light and crisp with a slight hint of fruit. I highly recommend. 9% ALC./VOL so its has a nice kick.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Bud Lee's Beer Thread

Post by Duck07 »

Well Bud, if you think we're fierce about our football, just say something bad about our spirits :lol:

I've got a nice steak to go with it and finish off a beautiful day on the Oregon Coast.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Well you picked a great spot & fan base to have a beer convo with.

Being the Californian I am, I'll throw a couple of my local favs out for you to find.

Bear Republic's XP Ale. Their "Racer 5" is delicious and more well known, but the XP is lighter (in alcohol and structure), and IMO the superior beer. It's pretty tough to find, but if you do...don't pass it up.

Also opened up, just today, a classic favorite of mine: Lagunitas' "Hop Head" ale. If you're into super Hoppy beers, give this one a run.
AKA: CAgrown
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I dig a good hoppy beer, I've had all the Bear Republic ones that you mentioned.

I like a lot of the west coast beer, not a big fan of Serria Nevada Products for some reason. Their Pale Ale is very good, but most of their beers just don't do it for me.

Something I just recently discovered is MOA out of New Zealand. Their breakfast beer is exceptional. Perfect for anytime you feel like partaking in some early morning drinking.

All of theirs that I've had are great. The carbonation is a bit high in most which is slightly off putting to some, but I like it.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Well if you like beer you need to come to San Diego where you can now visit more than 50 breweries. My favorite - Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. Followed closely by Green Flash Imperial IPA.
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit

Post by 303DucksFan »

I'd skip going to San Diego and come straight to Fort Collins.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

303DucksFan wrote:I'd skip going to San Diego and come straight to Fort Collins.
True there is some amazing beer in Ft. Collins. But we have amazing beer, beautiful women (lots of them) and an ocean, all of which can be enjoyed at the same time if you know where to go. :D
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

303DucksFan wrote:I'd skip going to San Diego and come straight to Fort Collins.
I don't know, I had one heck of a seasonal IPA (I think it was called the Black Hopocalypse) from the Pumphouse in Longmont and Left Hand ain't too shabby either. ;)
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit

Post by 303DucksFan »

Duck07 wrote:
I don't know, I had one heck of a seasonal IPA (I think it was called the Black Hopocalypse) from the Pumphouse in Longmont and Left Hand ain't too shabby either. ;)
True, lefthand is becoming a great brewery. Odell Is also getting huge out here as well.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Y'all ever get Abita your way? Good local beer here.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Now hooked on hop valley IVA vanilla infused ale....
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Bud Lee's Beer Thread

Post by whosyourwally »

We are calling this the year of the micro brew in Columbus, OH. We've had 5 or 6 open up in the past year, bringing our total to like... 5 or 6. But they've gotten pretty creative, with mixed results. I love the effort. Black IPA's, cask conditioned ales, sour mix infused beer (amazing!).
Now for a little rant: one of my favorite things about traveling has been trying local brews, but with the rise in popularity of microbrews, the lines are getting pretty blurry, and corporate beer is getting tricky. I don't enjoy that I can now get a Fat Tire on draft here. Same for Odell's, Henry Weinhard, Abita, etc. I start to ask myself what's the difference between a Rogue Dead Guy, a Sam Adams Latitude 48, and any InBev attempt at an IPA.. You can say taste, but I'll challenge you to look up how and where those beers are actually bottled and distributed. Plus how much fun is it to travel somewhere and see a whole bunch of beer you've never heard of.
In conclusion, Drink Local. Support the local economy and you'll encourage higher standards in your local brews.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Bud Lee's Beer Thread

Post by OreDucks01284 »

for me, its this beer.

guinness shake at red robin is da bomb!!
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

whosyourwally wrote:We are calling this the year of the micro brew in Columbus, OH. We've had 5 or 6 open up in the past year, bringing our total to like... 5 or 6. But they've gotten pretty creative, with mixed results. I love the effort. Black IPA's, cask conditioned ales, sour mix infused beer (amazing!).
Now for a little rant: one of my favorite things about traveling has been trying local brews, but with the rise in popularity of microbrews, the lines are getting pretty blurry, and corporate beer is getting tricky. I don't enjoy that I can now get a Fat Tire on draft here. Same for Odell's, Henry Weinhard, Abita, etc. I start to ask myself what's the difference between a Rogue Dead Guy, a Sam Adams Latitude 48, and any InBev attempt at an IPA.. You can say taste, but I'll challenge you to look up how and where those beers are actually bottled and distributed. Plus how much fun is it to travel somewhere and see a whole bunch of beer you've never heard of.
In conclusion, Drink Local. Support the local economy and you'll encourage higher standards in your local brews.
Well, I always encourage folks to support your local beverage producers and I understand the romanticism behind discovering the local terroir, if you will. That being said, I don't share your concerns about the expansion of beer distribution through "corporate" channels. The truth of the matter is that the mass distribution of "craft beers" (including many that you mention) has been the primary driving component of the boom in micro-breweries around the country. It is exposure to these brands that provide introduction to different styles and approaches in brewing; both to the consumer and the aspiring brew master. This is beside the obvious point that many, I'd submit most, do enjoy the ability to have a Fat Tire on draft from around the country.

I work in the alcohol industry. A different sector, granted, but one that deals with an even sharper divide in the "small vs. corporate" debate. I've now worked on both sides of the aisle and can tell you with confidence that both sides have their positives and negatives. Interestingly enough, though I work in production, I know the beer industry is of extreme interest to the sales and marketing end of our sector in the alcohol and spirits industry. The company I work for has spent loads of money studying its dynamics and growth patterns.
AKA: CAgrown
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

We have a cute little brewery here in Medford that puts out some gnarly product. Walkabout Brewery. The owner, Ross, is from Australia and started his business out of his garage. We've bought pony kegs from him for our fridge for years and he now offers food & fun. Love to support local breweries!