Election 2016

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Election 2016

Post by Duck07 »

Well yes, the very nature of change always sees market interruptions and that is also why there are some people who are going to take in hundreds of millions+ when all is said and done thanks to things like bank put options and other policies. Going through a period of change isn't reason not to do something, especially when you believe it is the best choice long term.

Everything is so out of whack that we need to start making these adjustments on a global scale or else it will be even worse. We went through an example of how out of balance things were in 2008 and perhaps now is the time we can discuss the different models of capitalism and get to a point where we have true, fair trade. That also needs to take into account standard of living scales and tariffs on any nationalist policies that prop up certain industries and business. China can't support widget makers with rebates and cash in order to flood foreign markets with goods that can't be produced as cheaply at home.

We have a population problem, not a people problem and bringing more people into this country isn't going to make it any easier to fix. 1 in 8 students are homeless in Lincoln County, there is a severe lack of affordable housing on the Coast and there is a flood of Californians moving to Oregon and no where to put them.

The definition of insanity is often said to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result.

"People think I'm crazy, they're absolutely right!
I'm crazy in the morning, afternoon and night!"
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Are there any Hillary supporters who have a problem with her turning over classified information to her attorneys and getting away with it? I think it's obvious now that Trumps decision to run was only to secure the win for her.

Let the great culling begin
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

As usual..............posting has become a point of ridicule & disrespect so since I can't delete my original post, I've edited it and am signing off.
Last edited by MFRDuckFan on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

An epic rant that manages to really not address anything, spout some misinformation and overgeneralizations, and some tired insults about intelligence. No wonder political discourse in this country is at an absolute low.

Also, about the part about being willing to listen and not blindly following, I've seen plenty of liberals not willing to listen or tolerate other viewpoints and then basically want an echo chamber of ideas. Neither side is better than others in this regard, otherwise people would actually be talking rationally to one another, not just talking past one another like they are now.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

MFRDuckFan wrote:As usual..............posting has become a point of ridicule & disrespect so since I can't delete my original post, I've edited it and am signing off.
The key is to be concise with anything anyone might find inflammatory.

Like, homosexuality is the antithesis of life.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:If people want an idea of what a Trump victory will look like, just check out a potential Brexit is doing to the global markets.
I feel helpless. I am staring at my IRA, unable to switch my funds before they will be ravaged at the opening bell tomorrow morning. But however much I recover, I'll switch to T-bills before the November election. As I too believe a Trump victory would cause a panic on Wallstreet unless he makes a major shift away from his trade rhetoric at the very least.
Obviously, the Brexit hysteria that affected the markets for a few trading days was pure nonsense, and stocks are higher now than they were before the Brexit vote. I do agree, however, with the thought that November will be a bad time for stocks (if they can keep them propped up that long), although I think it will happen no matter who gets elected. There has been a retreat to the dollar lately, and most dollar-denominated assets are doing well, but how long can it last? Gold is rising, and so are bonds. The ten year treasury bond yield is crazy low. I am a firm believer that the financial world is the real driver of the political world (rather than the reverse), and the trends in the bond market are troubling. People concerned about their IRA should stop blaming things like a Brexit vote in England and start looking at the world debt markets.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:Well yes, the very nature of change always sees market interruptions and that is also why there are some people who are going to take in hundreds of millions+ when all is said and done thanks to things like bank put options and other policies. Going through a period of change isn't reason not to do something, especially when you believe it is the best choice long term.

Everything is so out of whack that we need to start making these adjustments on a global scale or else it will be even worse. We went through an example of how out of balance things were in 2008 and perhaps now is the time we can discuss the different models of capitalism and get to a point where we have true, fair trade. That also needs to take into account standard of living scales and tariffs on any nationalist policies that prop up certain industries and business. China can't support widget makers with rebates and cash in order to flood foreign markets with goods that can't be produced as cheaply at home.

We have a population problem, not a people problem and bringing more people into this country isn't going to make it any easier to fix. 1 in 8 students are homeless in Lincoln County, there is a severe lack of affordable housing on the Coast and there is a flood of Californians moving to Oregon and no where to put them.

The definition of insanity is often said to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result.

"People think I'm crazy, they're absolutely right!
I'm crazy in the morning, afternoon and night!"
I usually agree with you politically, but I'm not sure about your opinion on population. Oregon is a pretty sparsely-populated state, relative to other places. If there is a homeless problem here, it seems more likely to me that other factors than overpopulation are at issue. Certainly, one of them has to be the insane amount of land owned by the government, coupled with the state and county governments' agenda to limit housing developments on privately-owned land. These policies, along with the decades-long migration from California (and elsewhere) make the rise in housing costs a mathematical certainty. Not only has housing gone up, but greedy state and local governments have also significantly raised property taxes such that finding cheap places to live has become nearly impossible. That has to at least be contributing to any homeless problem we are having.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Oregon is the Top ranked state for people moving in as well as the amount of people not moving out. Washington is seeing massive population migration as well and its all because of water or lack thereof.

My argument for over population rests on the basis that our current practices are unsustainable for this number of people because we cannot adequately take care of the 7+ billion people on the planet right now. Current agricultural practices are unsustainable because of the sheer volume of fertilizers used (peak phosphorus anyone?)

Others love to argue that in the future well just come up with some new invention to extract that phosphorus and other elements from our waste but I'm not one to bank of tomorrow's technology to solve today's problems.
nogerO
Senior

Is it just me or

Post by nogerO »

do you watch Hillary speak and watch her body language and her parsing of the english language and think you're watching the poster child for pathological liars?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Re: Is it just me or

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:do you watch Hillary speak and watch her body language and her parsing of the english language and think you're watching the poster child for pathological liars?
You have to remember that she is literally the most altruistic person in America. I mean, her spokeswoman told us it was wrong to even suggest that there is any undue influence from the Saudis for donating 10-25 million to the Clinton Foundation. Never mind that whole uranium issue either...
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I just found this board and I'm not sure I'm glad I did now that I've read through it. I see that it hasn't been posted on in nearly three months, so I'm wondering if there's some other (rabid) presidential election board somewhere else.

Anyway, I just wanted to post the following link: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... id=rrpromo, in case it might be useful. It's the Nate Silver site, who predicted the winner of every single state in the most recent presidential election, and missed just two in the 2008 election. It's also kind of cool in that, at least on a regular computer, you can just hover over a state and see the odds of whichever candidate winning that particular state.

That is all.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Duck07 wrote:Oregon is the Top ranked state for people moving in as well as the amount of people not moving out. Washington is seeing massive population migration as well and its all because of water or lack thereof.

My argument for over population rests on the basis that our current practices are unsustainable for this number of people because we cannot adequately take care of the 7+ billion people on the planet right now. Current agricultural practices are unsustainable because of the sheer volume of fertilizers used (peak phosphorus anyone?)

Others love to argue that in the future well just come up with some new invention to extract that phosphorus and other elements from our waste but I'm not one to bank of tomorrow's technology to solve today's problems.
I was told last week that on average 111 people move into Oregon per day... have not been able
to fact check tho...Thats alot of people....
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:My puzzlement over the elections is watching one of my brothers who has gone over the deep end in support of Trump and become an unapologetic bigot towards, blacks, gays, Mexicans, Asians and Muslims. I think he has long had some mostly concealed racist feelings but the Trump campaign and the satellite supporting websites he is visiting has emboldened his vitriol, freed him to express it on social media and allowed it to gain momentum.

I have not engaged him on any of it, just been watching him on social media. I believed for sometime that he didn't actually believe some of the stuff he is posting, but was trying to push peoples hot buttons. I now believe he has started to believe even the most ridiculous fantasies.

Did you all know that the Sandy Hook, Orlando and other mass shootings were staged by Obama so he could take our guns away and take over as a dictator?
hey, there are still a lot of people that think 9/11 was an "inside job."
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

oregontrack wrote:i don't feel it's illogical for me to not want to stand in an area where one man has to ability to kill 49 people and injure dozens more.

your thoughts on mental health are spot-on. but it's not an either/or debate. we have a mental health problem in this country, and we have a gun problem.
I would recommend avoiding "gun free zones" in your case.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And here's an excellent interactive presidential election map for 2016 election night: http://www.270towin.com/ (You can ignore the different colors they currently have for the states and reset the "Starting View" dropdown to "Blank Map.")