Election 2016

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Election 2016

Post by Duck07 »

pudgejeff wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Funny that all the people wanting to leave the U.S. want to go to Canda and not Mexico.

Not funny all the rioting going on and it's foundation of hatred for those they disagree with.
Why is it funny? Seems to make perfect sense to me, care to extrapolate on your thoughts?
One of the foundational tenets of Trump's plan is to build a wall with Mexico. So many of those people upset with him use that as one of their first critiques against him yet none of them want to go to the warm, tropical environment but the wet and frigid environment because it's more stable. I find that hilarious. If the choice was say Cuba or Canada, I'd know where I'd be going.

The appropriate response was that of Lin Manuel Marada: F that. I love this country...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:I'm all for peaceful protests. Hell I did it waaaaaaay back when I was young and knew everything. But this bunch of professional anarchists are just out to riot and be subversive to our way of society. In the aftermath of this kind of BS we hear "oh, we'll have to look at video from cameras in the area and TRY to bring charges. I've got a better idea. The next time it turns into a riot, surround the area with national guard and police and arrest the whole damn bunch of a$$holes. Then charge them with the toughest offenses you can. Let the whole damn bunch of them spend some "quality time" incarcerated. Think it would help stop this $hit? This crap makes we embarrassed to tell anyone I'm a native Oregonian...
Shoot, the Oakland mayor already said they can't do anything to stop or quell it.

Further, it's a degradation of the good name of anarchy. What righteous Anarchist organises anyways? Then again, what liberal votes for the Bride of Monsanto and Goldman Sachs? The message that Hillary was that toxic of a candidate and why still hasn't sunk in for a lot of people. Bernie or Warren probably does beat the Donald, but that is just a side note.
UofDuck
Senior

Election 2016

Post by UofDuck »

I really don't understand the "no wall" mentality. If it is an argument against spending the money to do it, that's different. I suspect all of us have locks on our doors around our home because it's our home and we want to protect it. I suspect even Hillary Clinton has fences around her property so people can't just come and go as they please. What's the wrong with United States putting walls up on their borders to protect the United States against invasions large or small? Every other 1st world country in the world attempts to protect their borders.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Duck07 wrote:
nogerO wrote:I'm all for peaceful protests. Hell I did it waaaaaaay back when I was young and knew everything. But this bunch of professional anarchists are just out to riot and be subversive to our way of society. In the aftermath of this kind of BS we hear "oh, we'll have to look at video from cameras in the area and TRY to bring charges. I've got a better idea. The next time it turns into a riot, surround the area with national guard and police and arrest the whole damn bunch of a$$holes. Then charge them with the toughest offenses you can. Let the whole damn bunch of them spend some "quality time" incarcerated. Think it would help stop this $hit? This crap makes we embarrassed to tell anyone I'm a native Oregonian...
Shoot, the Oakland mayor already said they can't do anything to stop or quell it.

Further, it's a degradation of the good name of anarchy. What righteous Anarchist organises anyways? Then again, what liberal votes for the Bride of Monsanto and Goldman Sachs? The message that Hillary was that toxic of a candidate and why still hasn't sunk in for a lot of people. Bernie or Warren probably does beat the Donald, but that is just a side note.
Yeah, all those disaffected middle age voters from the upper midwest/rural areas would be breaking the door down to vote for northeastern liberals :roll: . Pretty naive take.

Clinton is flawed big time, but all candidates/politicians take their turn going through the sausage factory, including Sanders and Warren.

BTW-Clinton is on track to win the raw vote by > 1 million votes. What do you think Trump would have done under that scenario if the results were reversed? Every country around the world is laughing at the hypocrisy of "the people have spoken".
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Yeah, all those disaffected middle age voters from the upper midwest/rural areas would be breaking the door down to vote for northeastern liberals :roll: . Pretty naive take.

Clinton is flawed big time, but all candidates/politicians take their turn going through the sausage factory, including Sanders and Warren.

BTW-Clinton is on track to win the raw vote by > 1 million votes. What do you think Trump would have done under that scenario if the results were reversed? Every country around the world is laughing at the hypocrisy of "the people have spoken".
And most of that total is due to the excessive numbers in CA. Take out them out and it's basically even.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

greenyellow wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

And most of that total is due to the excessive numbers in CA. Take out them out and it's basically even.
So what?

It's a federal election.

California represents approx. 10% of the population.

Should a vote from California count for less than a vote from rural Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania?

It's long past the time to remove state lines from a national presidential election.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

As soon as it is made a popular vote, Trump and other Republicans stop campaigning in New Hampshire and start spending their time in California, New York, etc where all the people are. The whole strategy would be different. There's no use whining about the rules afterwards. The time for that discussion is before the participants agree to it. As has been pointed out now in many places, whining about the popular vote is like the Indians whining that they scored as many runs in the series as the Cubs, so they should win.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Phalanx wrote:As soon as it is made a popular vote, Trump and other Republicans stop campaigning in New Hampshire and start spending their time in California, New York, etc where all the people are. The whole strategy would be different. There's no use whining about the rules afterwards. The time for that discussion is before the participants agree to it. As has been pointed out now in many places, whining about the popular vote is like the Indians whining that they scored as many runs in the series as the Cubs, so they should win.
Where am I whining? Just stating a fact. Cubs-Indians run analogy.......uh ok. Your the first I have seen compare the federal election to a 7 game World Series, can you link the ''many places" that reference was used?

Also the Electoral College amendment/alteration would require a little more than a "discussion" and participant agreement.

The result has little impact one way or another for me, how about you if Trump doesn't deliver?

What I am concerned about is the opportunity to succeed that a majority of the young people(many on this board) will get going forward. We baby boomers have had our chances and many blew it. It isn't me that cast the "whine-life is so unfair vote" and Trump will save us.

You also seem to conveniently leave out the "whiney" Trump narrative that the system was rigged(including the EC) against him before election was even held.

I am man enough to come back in a year if Trump is delivering on his promises to say I was wrong. How about you if Trump reneges on his promises of a chicken in every pot?

Trump's history sure doesn't indicate he is a man of his word.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Well I do happen to believe that a fair number of those people would have in fact changed their vote to support a non Clinton candidate vs Trump. You can also add in the Green And Libertarian vote that wouldn't have been as split.

The lifetime politician lost the electoral college to a rookie. That says quite a bit about Donald, yes? Focus on what matters. Bathroom rights for a fraction of 1% isn't as important as jobs for all.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Well I do happen to believe that a fair number of those people would have in fact changed their vote to support a non Clinton candidate vs Trump. You can also add in the Green And Libertarian vote that wouldn't have been as split.

The lifetime politician lost the electoral college to a rookie. That says quite a bit about Donald, yes? Focus on what matters. Bathroom rights for a fraction of 1% isn't as important as jobs for all.
I think that's what a lot of people forgot this election cycle. The ones who protesting are those think that the social issues were a main issue when economics were more important.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Duck07 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Don't take my post as being critical of where you are coming from. I would venture to say that we have much in agreement with where you stand.

If Sanders or Warren would have had the nomination, I would have supported either, as a registered Independent.

I really thought Mike Bloomberg might have been the best choice for where the country currently is.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I don't so no worries. That's an also more of a conjecture since neither had the nomination and we can't say what would have happened.

One thing I hope people will understand is a quote from Jimmy Carter about Trump and his ability to change his mind. If you can give him a good reason, he will change his thinking. An idea that might appeal to him as an example, while most of the left wants no part in fracking or oil drilling, the right is typically full steam ahead. When I say that I don't want to take any of our oil out until we can fly fighter jets with something other than oil and we should suck everyone else dry, most of the right starts to develop a different notion and if you present it to him like that, he's probably more understanding of the other aspects, like clean water.

I just heard a great piece on NPR where a female Muslim immigrant had to explain that she was more worried about actual Islamic extremism than rhetoric about Donald because she felt that the left's refusal to acknowledge the issue for fear of PC reprisal was getting in the way of finding the middle ground by refusing to call it a problem.

There's plenty of common ground to be had on many issues, we have to be patient and mature enough to fully listen to and understand the issues from the other side. It's good to learn to play Devil's Advocate to challenge yourself.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UofDuck wrote:I really don't understand the "no wall" mentality. If it is an argument against spending the money to do it, that's different. I suspect all of us have locks on our doors around our home because it's our home and we want to protect it. I suspect even Hillary Clinton has fences around her property so people can't just come and go as they please. What's the wrong with United States putting walls up on their borders to protect the United States against invasions large or small? Every other 1st world country in the world attempts to protect their borders.

Tougher immigration laws and enforcement makes total sense. Canada, which everyone is craving now has very stringent immigration laws ironically enough. Finland, Australia, Norway, Sweden, etc basically all the top 10 countries in living standards have very strict immigration laws.

Trump however framed it in a much more racial tone of wanting to kick out 'lesser' mexicana as opposed to just wanting to be stringent like other top countries. Had trump not been so brazen and arguably racist than his stance would be seen totally differently.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

rentdodger1 wrote:
Where am I whining? Just stating a fact. Cubs-Indians run analogy.......uh ok. Your the first I have seen compare the federal election to a 7 game World Series, can you link the ''many places" that reference was used?

Also the Electoral College amendment/alteration would require a little more than a "discussion" and participant agreement.

The result has little impact one way or another for me, how about you if Trump doesn't deliver?

What I am concerned about is the opportunity to succeed that a majority of the young people(many on this board) will get going forward. We baby boomers have had our chances and many blew it. It isn't me that cast the "whine-life is so unfair vote" and Trump will save us.

You also seem to conveniently leave out the "whiney" Trump narrative that the system was rigged(including the EC) against him before election was even held.

I am man enough to come back in a year if Trump is delivering on his promises to say I was wrong. How about you if Trump reneges on his promises of a chicken in every pot?

Trump's history sure doesn't indicate he is a man of his word.
Are you serious? I will guarantee you right now Trump will not deliver on his promises. First you have to identify which promises, since he was often on both sides of every issue. I was not a Trump supporter (although I am glad Hillary didn't win).

I think the world series thing is a good metaphor, I just wanted to make sure nobody thought i made it up since it has been circulating on social media. The point is, popular vote was never the goal, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to act like this election should have been decided that way.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

What happens if Trump and Putin do in fact destroy Daesh/ISIS (balls, Archer)? Is that automatic re election?