I'm so over the NFL

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: I'm so over the NFL

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid and Oregon Ownage share many of my reasons as to why college football wins out over the NFL in entertainment value.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I must be part of the older crowd, because I don't think of black people at all when I hear the word 'thug'. To me, it means paid goons whose purpose is to intimidate people. It was a common word during prohibition in Chicago and other midwestern cities. It is also used a lot in the context of various mobs hired by unions or rich business owners. I have no idea what it has to do with the NFL, but it seems like a mistake to automatically think it has to do with race. Actually, that seems like a racist interpretation, if someone says 'thug' and people assume they mean black people, etc, isn't that racist? Only black people get to be thugs now?

I think everyone is way too quick to be offended. I've met lots of people that said racist stuff in my life - both black and white and mexican...I've had mexicans tell me they were going to take California back because it used to be theirs anyway. I still got along with them. People need to chill and stop letting the media race bait everyone into a big argument all the time. If there is obvious racial injustice, by all means, fight it, but stop looking for it under every rock.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Biggus Duckus wrote:
nogerO wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:When I first saw this original post I was going to post a PSA, about the term "Thug".

The warning is this. The term "Thug" is now widely being used as the PC substitute of the N-word and other derogatives for POC by some people posting on moderated social media. Use it if you want, but do so now knowing some people will give you a wink and others will be offended on the assumption that you're using that meaning of the word.
Thank you for the heads up. But I have no desire whatsoever to get into a PC pissing match with anyone. I know exactly what the term THUG means. And it's exactly what I see in the NFL by an overwhelming majority of it's current players.
It's originally from Hindi and means:

noun
a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
(sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.
You are the dumbest forumer I've seen on here in a long time. If people started using the words "jug jug" when referring to people of color, as in, "those jug jugs should just worry about football" and you saw it used more and more often, what would you do? Open your dictionary and say "jug just means a container of liquid, guys! It's fiiiiine"
Says the self righteous judgemental genius with the screen name Biggus Duckus. Do you drive a red corvette per chance? :lol: :lol: :lol: You're on ignore tough guy.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

The filthy nether regions of the off-season are upon us.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!