I'm so over the NFL

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: I'm so over the NFL

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:When I first saw this original post I was going to post a PSA, about the term "Thug".

The warning is this. The term "Thug" is now widely being used as the PC substitute of the N-word and other derogatives for POC by some people posting on moderated social media. Use it if you want, but do so now knowing some people will give you a wink and others will be offended on the assumption that you're using that meaning of the word.
Aperspectival Madness is here in full force. The meaning of words has been replaced by the emotional (in)stability of the listener. It's upon us to not cater to lower levels of thought.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

The NFL is it's own thing, it's really tough to compare it to college football which is, as I completely agree, the more entertaining product.

To be completely honest I'd be surprised if the opinions here were different; this being a college-based forum, I totally get it. I frequent some NFL forums where most of the people can't stand college football.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:When I first saw this original post I was going to post a PSA, about the term "Thug".

The warning is this. The term "Thug" is now widely being used as the PC substitute of the N-word and other derogatives for POC by some people posting on moderated social media. Use it if you want, but do so now knowing some people will give you a wink and others will be offended on the assumption that you're using that meaning of the word.
Our vocabulary is shrinking.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

No it's expanding. The amount of synonyms for words is increasing. Words also evolve. As an older person I frequently have to use the Urban Dictionary and other sources when I encounter new words or more often older words used in what appears an odd manner.

My post was just a warning as to a newer growing usage of the word that my fellow older poster may or not not be aware of. Obviously another poster was also familiar and went straight to that as the intended meaning.

I'll repeat to all, particularly you old folks out there, if you call a black person a "thug" particularly one who hasn't committed a crime some will believe you are using a racial derogative. Use at your own risk.

I have a brother who is a proud and loud racist and I haven't blocked him on Facebook and I occasionally look at some of his less filtered favorite websites. When he and his friends post memes about the NFL being 70% thugs, they aren't referring to the percentage of criminals or Thugge cultists.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

No it's expanding. The amount of synonyms for words is increasing. Words also evolve. As an older person I frequently have to use the Urban Dictionary and other sources when I encounter new words or more often older words used in what appears an odd manner.

My post was just a warning as to a newer growing usage of the word that my fellow older poster may or not not be aware of. Obviously another poster was also familiar and went straight to that as the intended meaning.

I'll repeat to all, particularly you old folks out there, if you call a black person a "thug" particularly one who hasn't committed a crime some will believe you are using a racial derogative. Use at your own risk.

I have a brother who is a proud and loud racist and I haven't blocked him on Facebook and I occasionally look at some of his less filtered favorite websites. When he and his friends post memes about the NFL being 70% thugs, they aren't referring to the percentage of criminals or Thugge cultists.
*drops mic*
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Thurston wrote:The NFL is it's own thing, it's really tough to compare it to college football which is, as I completely agree, the more entertaining product.

To be completely honest I'd be surprised if the opinions here were different; this being a college-based forum, I totally get it. I frequent some NFL forums where most of the people can't stand college football.
I think that's because most don't have a strong connection to major college football, either because they didn't go to college with a big football program or they live in areas where pro sports are king (i.e. the Northeast.)
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I must say there is a pretty overt campaign going on online by certain people to punish the NFL for, you know, the stuff. So the group think is to run around on websites and disparage the product and the players and whatever in support of you know who. Now, I know the OP isn't doing this intentionally, but it's out there.

Here's my least favorite thug to ever push a referee:

https://deadspin.com/kirk-cousins-shove ... 1792008254
Last edited by Groundswell on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:

Aperspectival Madness is here in full force. The meaning of words has been replaced by the emotional (in)stability of the listener. It's upon us to not cater to lower levels of thought.
From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of thug
:a brutal ruffian or assassin :gangster, tough

Thank you. I knew someone would try to immediately throw a race card and voila.

By immediately having a knee jerk reaction and saying that it was "straight up racist" indicates that the respondent is exactly that. So wear it proudly Phenom. Another one on ignore...sigh
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Thank you for the heads up. But I have no desire whatsoever to get into a PC pissing match with anyone. I know exactly what the term THUG means. And it's exactly what I see in the NFL by an overwhelming majority of it's current players.
It's originally from Hindi and means:

noun
a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
(sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:

Thank you for the heads up. But I have no desire whatsoever to get into a PC pissing match with anyone. I know exactly what the term THUG means. And it's exactly what I see in the NFL by an overwhelming majority of it's current players.
It's originally from Hindi and means:

noun
a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
(sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.
The overwhelming majority of players in the NFL are thugs? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

So the vast majority of NFL players are ruffians and robbers and cruel murderers?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Just in reference to Lynch shoving a ref, that was a 'thug' move, irregardless of race. I'll agree that it's a term more closely associated with a certain race. If a white guy did the same thing he'd more likely be referred to as a punk. Both are meant as a pejorative; I suppose it's up to interpretation if it's a bad thing that we tend to use different words.
'
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

In regards to NFL vs College, I think the importance of the games is what draws me so much to college football. When the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 06, they went 9-7 that year. The Giants were 10-6 the years that they won it. All the offenses are the same, and it's very business like with no loyalties.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Another factor I think are how teams approach the game. In the NFL, most teams are playing not to lose while in college they will let the ball fly and attack the opposing teams.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

If Marcus is playing I watch. Otherwise----yawn. I've got higher priorities on Sunday, likely rearranging my sock drawer.

To paraphrase George Will: The NFL represents the two worst aspects of our culture: random violence-------punctuated by committee meetings.