Florida State & Notre Dame Are BOTH Overrated

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Florida State & Notre Dame Are BOTH Overrated

Post by SuperDuck »

I just had to put things into perspective after their "classic" game.

Neither team has played another "great" team. Rice, Michigan, Purdue and Syracuse are all patsies. They gave up 43 points to North Carolina at home. Stanford is the only good team they've played, but even they've lost 3 games now. Notre Dame could potentially lose 2 or maybe even 3 more games. At ASU, Louisville and at USC. This is not a national championship caliber team.

Fighting Irish Schedule

Sat 8/30 Rice W 48 - 17
Sat 9/6 Michigan W 31 - 0
Sat 9/13 Purdue W 30 - 14
Sat 9/27 @ Syracuse W 31 - 15
Sat 10/4 (14) Stanford W 17 - 14
Sat 10/11 N. Carolina W 50 - 43
Sat 10/18 @ (2) Florida St. L 27 - 31
Sat 11/1 @ Navy 8:00 pm ET
Sat 11/8 @ (14) Arizona St TBA
Sat 11/15 Northwestern 3:30 pm ET
Sat 11/22 Louisville 3:30 pm ET
Sat 11/29 @ (20) USC TBA

Florida State isn't as good as they were last year either. Their defense isn't as good and the lost some really good skill players on offense. I'm shocked that they haven't lost yet. The win over Oklahoma State was starting to look better until TCU throttled them 42-9 this weekend. FSU is better than Clemson and should have won that game, even without Jameis Winston. But everyone else stinks! They gave up 41 points to North Carolina and could have easily lost that game. N.C. State, Citadel, Wake Forest, Syracuse = come on, man! They may get ambushed at Louisville. That would be the best chance for them to lose. Still, Virginia has an excellent defense and gave UCLA all they could handle earlier this year. Miami has a lot of talent and a good running game. Boston College already upset USC this season. Florida will be playing for Will Muschamp's job.

Seminoles Schedule

Sat 8/30 @ Oklahoma St. W 37 - 31
Sat 9/6 Citadel W 37 - 12
Sat 9/20 (22) Clemson W 23 - 17
Sat 9/27 @ N.C. State W 56 - 41
Sat 10/4 Wake Forest W 43 - 3
Sat 10/11 @ Syracuse W 38 - 20
Sat 10/18 (5) Notre Dame W 31 - 27
Thu 10/30 @ Louisville 7:30 pm ET
Sat 11/8 Virginia TBA
Sat 11/15 @ Miami (FL) TBA
Sat 11/22 Boston Coll. TBA
Sat 11/29 Florida TBA

I'm just looking at the big picture. If Oregon gets squeezed out of the playoffs by these teams I'd be furious. FSU would have earned the right to defend the title, crappy schedule or not, but Notre Dumb does NOT belong! If Oregon wins out they'll have a pretty good resume.
John 3:36
OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Florida State & Notre Dame Are BOTH Overrated

Post by OreDucks01284 »

i think Lousiville will give FSU a close game, thats if the refs decide to take on fsu side.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I too would be furious. Narrowly losing to the #1ish team in the country is a whole lot worse than demolishing a top ten team. Beyond that, our schedule is easily as tough as theirs. Notre Dame stealing our playoff spot would be the biggest robbery in program history.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

USC and ASU are pretty good teams. They both get to host ND. I have faith that one of them will win.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:USC and ASU are pretty good teams. They both get to host ND. I have faith that one of them will win.
And if they don't and ND does finish 11-1, they'll end up with a pretty darn good record. They won't get the benefit of a conf-champ, but they might take the spot of a 2-loss Big 10/12 team over and SEC team.

I don't see ND as a threat to Oregon, I see ND as a threat to SEC#2 and the other conf's.

I agree that FSU has a poor schedule and not that I'm looking it up, but I did make the point before the season that they shouldn't be an automatic lock because of that schedule.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Florida State has a great record and have definitely earned their spot in the playoffs thus far, but its true, their schedule is shockingly easy. Notre Dame and Clemson are the only two really difficult games on their schedule. I have no idea how good Louisville is, all I can do is look at who they beat:

Miami
Murray State
lost to Virginia
FIU
Wake Forest
Syracuse
lost to Clemson
NC State

Not very impressive resume. Nothing there leads me to believe they can beat the Seminoles. But assuming its at least competitive, thats is for them. The rest of their schedule is:
Virginia
Miami
Boston College
Florida

I don't see a single loss there. They are a shoo-in. Notre Dame has a tough schedule. We absolutely need ASU or USC to beat them to strengthen our argument for the strength of the Pac-12.