Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by oregontrack »

and not to burst any bubbles here, but layman does suck.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I seem to recall Layman doing the same thing last year in summer league, and everyone thinking he was going to be the next great shooting wing on the Blazers, only to watch him resume his place on the end of the bench. I'm pretty sure if he was any good, Stotts would have played him more, because the Blazers aren't exactly tearing it up at small forward.

I find myself really hoping the Blazers pick up Baldwin, despite the glut of guards on the team. Signing him makes no sense unless a consolidation trade is in the works, but I really like his game and attitude, and I feel like he can do some damage in the league. I suspect that Curry will only be with the Blazers this year, so Baldwin could be the longer-term answer at back-up point guard (unless Simons ends up there).
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

agreed. and while i like the idea of seth curry, his career games played makes me assume we'll need baldwin more than we won't:

2013-14: 2
2014-15: 2
2015-16: 44
2016-17: 70
2017-18: 0
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers advance in the SL playoffs after beating Atlanta 95-69. Layman continues being in his recent SL groove by scoring 20 points while adding 5 rebounds, 2 steals, and actually playing some decent looking defense. Simons scored 20 points on 6-10 FG shooting in 18 minutes. Baldwin had 15 points, 6 rebounds, and 8 assists. Trent had a tough shooting night but offset that by playing some great defense. Collins was a beast defensively as he had 4 blocks and a total of 11 altered shots.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

BREAK UP THE SUMMER LEAGUE BLAZERS.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:BREAK UP THE SUMMER LEAGUE BLAZERS.
You can use cap's! (I kid).
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers are Summer League Champs!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

greenyellow wrote:Blazers are Summer League Champs!
HUSKIES are off season National Champs! (again)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Looks like Baldwin is on the team. Too many guards and not enough big men, but it is a good signing.

I was fascinated with Toronto being willing to trade away DeMar DeRozan and a 1st rounder for a one-year rental of a head case. It almost seemed like a veiled salary dump. It's too bad the Blazers could not have done that deal with the Spurs instead and gotten rid of McCollum, but the report is that C.J. wasn't on the table. Kevin Love might be available, but he has an option for 2019-2020, so there wouldn't be as much cap relief there.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i heard that olshey was the one to initiate talks with san antonio, too, inquiring about kawhi but as you said saying CJ (as well as lillard) were off-limits.

good god that must have been a short phone call.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It seems only Toronto was willing to deal with Leonard because they need the salary cap relief. Other than that, most don't want to deal with a malcontent who's likely only a one-year rental. That's what really depressed the market for him.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The interesting part to me is that DeRozan was the star of that team, and the Raptors cut him loose, presumably for salary reasons. He is a few years older, but a similar player to McCollum, and their contracts are very similar, with about $83 million left over the next three years. Toronto clearly feels they can do better by going in a different direction. In fact, they were willing to part with a 1st round draft pick to make it happen. So for those who say that it is a universal axiom that you don't let your All-Star max player go and that no GM would ever do this...well, here is evidence to the contrary, and from a team that regularly outpaces the Blazers.

Meanwhile, Olshey considers McCollum untouchable, and the Blazers continue to be stuck paying half their cap space to two guards who don't play defense.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if you're referring to what i said about lillard, the situations are quite different. i'm not positive derozan is an all star next year in the west, i consider him closer to CJ than dame on the talent spectrum. (just wanted to clarify, if that indeed was what you were referring to)

i like the trade for both sides. i hope leonard pulls his head out of his ass and participates at his usual high level this year, toronto could be quite good.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:i like the trade for both sides. i hope leonard pulls his head out of his ass and participates at his usual high level this year, toronto could be quite good.
I agree. Leonard wasn't going to be a Spur and they got a good player in DeRozan, Toronto probably only has Leonard for the one year, but I think they're solidly the 3rd best team in the East, behind Boston & Philly.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

With kawhi, the raptors have a solid chance at making the finals. Without him,they'd have a very slim chance. I think it's worth it, even if you know it's just a 1 year rental. Just like I thought it was worth it to try and get Paul George last year.

In the end, winning 47 games every year and being a good regular season team doesn't get you anywhere. I know raptors were a bit better than that this past year but no one saw them as a legit title threat.