Mariners trading everybody!

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Mariners trading everybody!

Post by Merganzer »

Well, not really everybody. A couple of weeks ago, C Mike Zunino & OF Guilermo Hereddia were dealt to Tampa Bay for CF, Mallex Smith. In a move today, the Mariners traded P James Paxton for highly regarded, LHP, Justus Sheffield, RHP, Erik Swanson & OF, Dom Thompson Williams.

I think this might work out alright. Paxton is getting older, I think Gonzales will be the Ace of the staff next season, and the OF's in this one, and the earlier trade, fill a need. Could be more deals to come, and Cruz is a Free Agent. Is he going to end his career in Seattle? I think he would be attractive to several teams.
For some more: https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/marin ... -300933910
Last edited by Merganzer on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Mariners trading everybody!

Post by oregontrack »

ah, yet another rebuild. may this one be more fruitful than the previous six.
ImageImageImageImageImage
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

major rumblings of a diaz/cano deal to the mets for a pair of top prospects and bad (but much shorter than cano's) contracts.

if seattle can come away with kelenic, dunn, and mcneil that would be a major win for the farm system. i love me some edwin diaz, don't get me wrong, but the m's are going to be hot garbage until at least 2021 and obviously 50-win teams don't need elite closers.

read a blurb from a scout late last night that if the deal goes down as rumored, and segura and haniger also get flipped for a nice return, seattle very likely goes from a bottom three farm system (and let's be honest, it was the absolute worst) to a top 5 in baseball in one offseason, with the bulk of these kids all looking to make a splash starting in 2021 or 2022.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:major rumblings of a diaz/cano deal to the mets for a pair of top prospects and bad (but much shorter than cano's) contracts.

if seattle can come away with kelenic, dunn, and mcneil that would be a major win for the farm system. i love me some edwin diaz, don't get me wrong, but the m's are going to be hot garbage until at least 2021 and obviously 50-win teams don't need elite closers.

read a blurb from a scout late last night that if the deal goes down as rumored, and segura and haniger also get flipped for a nice return, seattle very likely goes from a bottom three farm system (and let's be honest, it was the absolute worst) to a top 5 in baseball in one offseason, with the bulk of these kids all looking to make a splash starting in 2021 or 2022.
I completely agree with this as to the Farm System. As great a closer as Diaz is, he doesn't mean much if you're out of the playoffs; and to further state, upgrading the farm system like these deals do, demonstrates that Dipoto is doing a great job as GM.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

White Sox acquired RHP Alex Colome from the Mariners for C Omar Narvaez. I don't know about Omar but guessing he's going to be Mike replacement with somebody else coming in too.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player

Narvaez Zunino
GP 97 | 113

AB 280 | 373

R 30 | 37

H 77 | 75

2B 14 | 18

3B 1 | 0

HR 9 | 20

RBI 30 | 44

BB 38 | 24

SO 65 | 150

SB 0 | 0

CS 2 | 0

AVG .275 | .201

OBP .366 | .259

SLG .429 | .410

OPS .794 | .669

Zunino showed more power, 20 HR to 9, but with 90 more Plate appearances, a much better average for Narvaez, .275 to .201, Zunino struck out a lot, 150 to 65.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Now Cano is a Met...and so is Edwin Diaz. https://www.mlb.com/news/robinson-cano- ... -301241814

The Mets and Mariners agreed to a blockbuster deal that would bring eight-time All-Star Robinson Cano and standout closer Edwin Diaz to Flushing(.)Late Thursday, the deal gained significant traction, as the Mets began informing players who would be in it. That group includes outfielder Jay Bruce, relievers Anthony Swarzak and Gerson Bautista and prospects Jarred Kelenic (No. 3) and Justin Dunn (No. 4), according to a source. The Mets will also receive $20 million from the Mariners to offset Cano's salary(.)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Even though the Mariners will suck in the majors, their farm system has gotten a major shot in the arm. Hopefully these prospects develop and can actually contribute in a few years.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:Even though the Mariners will suck in the majors, their farm system has gotten a major shot in the arm. Hopefully these prospects develop and can actually contribute in a few years.
I look at it as a really positive change. The Mariners have the longest non playoff appearance of any team in the MBL, NFL, NBA, NHL, since the 116 Win season in 2001. This last season they started off so well, that by the All Star break, people were really thinking they had a wild card locked up. But they fell apart in the 2nd half.
Having a league leading closer, Diaz, is nice, but on a team out of the playoffs, the saves didn't mean anything; being an asset in this deal, will be his most valuable contribution to the team
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Segura is next, with him likely going to the Phillies for top SS prospect JP Crawford and maybe a couple more lower-level prospects.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

the rumored segura deal to philly is not as enticing. from what's been reported, it sounds like we might have to take back carlos santana in order to get jp crawford. if we can flip santana and his contract to someone else, great. if not, losing a talent like segura (even if he no longer fits seattle's timeline) is a somewhat tough pill to swallow. crawford will have to be excellent down the line.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:the rumored segura deal to philly is not as enticing. from what's been reported, it sounds like we might have to take back carlos santana in order to get jp crawford. if we can flip santana and his contract to someone else, great. if not, losing a talent like segura (even if he no longer fits seattle's timeline) is a somewhat tough pill to swallow. crawford will have to be excellent down the line.
It's done. https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/marin ... -301368994

Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto dealt All-Star shortstop Jean Segura along with relievers Juan Nicasio and James Pazos to the Phillies for young shortstop J.P. Crawford and veteran first baseman Carlos Santana.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

That's a real one-sided trade just to get some cap relief and one younger prospect. Either Santana will be traded later on or they'll platoon him with Healy and Vogelbach at 1B depending on who's the best DH option that game. You basically have a roster consisting of a bunch of older vets with short-term deals and younger players still working on relatively cheap rookie or 2nd contracts. With really only Healy, Seager, Hanniger, and Gordon as the returning starters, it is going to be scary as to how bad this team will be the next couple seasons. There is no real big-name in this lineup that would really entice fans to want to show up for games.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I hope they trade Seager and Felix also.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i hope they don't trade felix. he has absolutely zero trade value so we wouldn't get a damn thing for him, might as well just have him retire as a career/top 5 all-time mariner.

the segura trade is disappointing. sounds like there just wasn't a market for him. if i read the report right, sounds like we tried to get one more quality prospect thrown in, philly balked, and then somehow we ended up throwing in pazos -- who might have fetched a decent return to a contender mid-season -- for absolutely no reason. IF seattle can flip santana, and IF crawford pans out then it'll be much easier to swallow but this was not a 'win' for the mariners. something we should all be used to by now, of course.