Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Post by nogerO »

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Seems like a horrible fit. Not only from a player standpoint but from a personality standpoint. Getting a top player who is born and raised in New York to choose Portland is going to be almost impossible unless we just shower him with more money than anyone else is willing to. Even then, I doubt he chooses Portland.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
Seems like a horrible fit. Not only from a player standpoint but from a personality standpoint. Getting a top player who is born and raised in New York to choose Portland is going to be almost impossible unless we just shower him with more money than anyone else is willing to. Even then, I doubt he chooses Portland.
He won't be a boost on defense but a starting five with Dame, CJ, Melo and Nurk with whomever is left after a trade be it Moe, Chief, Crabbe or ET as the 5th option would be a nasty offensive line up. Melo is at his best as a stretch four and his iso game wouldn't be a big issue under Stotts. When is the last time Melo played with a starting backcourt as talented as Dame and CJ that wasn't with team USA? The problem for Portland is that they will never get Big name FAs to sign so trading for one and hoping he likes his teammates and the vibe playing with them is the biggest chance. I think if you can get him and get under the luxury tax, you do so. Though Neil might sell it to Paul that luxury tax with Melo is worth it. SPAM, lol.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

It all comes down to Carmelo waiving his no-trade clause. If for whatever reason he does, if you're Portland, you absolutely have to do this. The Knicks don't have great leverage because he very publicly let them know that he wants out, and to make the salaries match, the Knicks would have to take back at least one of Olshey's bad contracts. The kicker is that Carmelo is only signed for the next two years, so even if he doesn't work out, you've shaved a year of luxury tax from the books because everybody involved in Olshey's Summer of 2016 spending spree is all under contract for the next three years. It's a no-brainer.

But, the odds of Carmelo agreeing to it are slim. He's good buddies with Harden. He wants to go to Houston.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote: Again, there has been zero talk about Meyers being shopped or anyone not wanting him. This is just supposition from the blog, without any actual facts. Sorry that I don't base what I take for true on that. You enjoy though.

More nonexistent talk about Myers and his contract being the hold-up for the Knicks pulling the trigger on the Carmelo trade:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-tra ... 46882.html

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/18/rep ... ony-trade/

So much latching on happening on the internets. :lol:
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
pudgejeff wrote: Again, there has been zero talk about Meyers being shopped or anyone not wanting him. This is just supposition from the blog, without any actual facts. Sorry that I don't base what I take for true on that. You enjoy though.

More nonexistent talk about Myers and his contract being the hold-up for the Knicks pulling the trigger on the Carmelo trade:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-tra ... 46882.html

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/18/rep ... ony-trade/

So much latching on happening on the internets. :lol:
Haha, thanks for proving my point. Literally two sites with an identical article pulled from other sources. I'm enjoying this.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
Haha, thanks for proving my point. Literally two sites with an identical article pulled from other sources. I'm enjoying this.
Well, at least you are admitting there are sources now. I feel like we're making progress. I'm still not sure how I am proving your point that there is "zero talk about Meyers being shopped, or anyone not wanting him." It seems like the amount of talk about it is somewhat greater than zero.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying this. You can also enjoy it in French if you like.

http://basket-infos.com/2017/07/18/tran ... s-leonard/

....or Italian

http://www.pianetabasket.com/nba/nba-la ... ony-140250

:lol:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well watching Swanigan play in Summer League, I think Vonleh should start, but I could Swan closing games out. He really has a few known abilities and while I don't see him as an outside shooter, if he can continue to knock down 17 footers and pass out of the high post he should be able to play along Nurk just fine as a rookie. If Neil can't find someone willing to take Meyer's contract without absorbing another bad contract, then I think Meyers and Zach Collins will end up with the most DNP's of the big men. Collins shouldn't be counted on for anything except learning and scrub minutes this season but hopefully he has the mind for the game, which is where Meyers seems to be struggling the most.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Portland trades Allan Crabbe to Brooklyn for some PF who they will waive and stretch. This move saves Paul Allen roughly $40 million in luxury tax.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Now they need to dump Leonard.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Amazing.

Portland will see their current luxury tax bill drop from $48.3M to $4.4M with the Allen Crabbe trade to Brooklyn. The Trail Blazers now have $122.2M in salary and are $2.9M below the luxury tax. The Trail Blazers currently project to save $60M in salary and taxes for 2017-18.
Bobby Marks, ESPN

Not sure if he is taking into account the salary they have to take back. This trade is Olshey admitting he made a terrible mistake last summer. The damage is mitigated, but they will still have Nicholson's contract taking up cap space over the next five years. What a mess. Thank goodness the Nets still wanted him though. I wonder if they had to give up a pick as well. A straight across trade doesn't work, does it?
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I believe it works because Brooklyn can absorb the contract without hitting the cap. I haven't heard anything about a pick trading hands yet.

I've heard Portland is stretching Nicholson out for the next seven years at $2.7 mil/per. Which isn't jump-for-joy great news on its own, but a nice alternative to Crabbe's huge money on the books for the next three.

Portland also put itself in great position to join the ongoing New York/Houston/Cleveland trade quagmire, IF a deal comes back that makes sense. Just say no to Ryan Anderson... but I did see a potential deal where Portland brings back Iman Shumpert (and expendable trash) plus New York's first round pick that would cost Moe Harkless. Shumpert is cheaper than Moe and only has two years left on his deal, and a top ten New York pick would be mighty tempting.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This is likely the first of several moves to get them below the luxury tax cap and resign Nurkic. Portland still needs to find some other players besides Lillard and McCollum who can hit an outside shot with regularity as all their other SG/SF are absolute brick layers from three.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:This is likely the first of several moves to get them below the luxury tax cap and resign Nurkic. Portland still needs to find some other players besides Lillard and McCollum who can hit an outside shot with regularity as all their other SG/SF are absolute brick layers from three.
Naw, we'll just mine the Big 3 league for an outside shooter. :lol:
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Just saw this on the jump, it will be interesting to see what moves are next for the blazers.