Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Post by pudgejeff »

Have you looked at the rest of the NBA contracts? This is what players like that make now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pudgejeff wrote:Have you looked at the rest of the NBA contracts? This is what players like that make now.
Meh Crabbe making more than John Wall, Kyrie Irving, and Kawhi Leonard still gives me giggles. Also, I would have loved for the Blazers to trade for players on existing contracts to eat our cap space. Instead of overpaying pretty bad players in Turner or Crabbe. Aminu and Harkless' contract are perfectly fine. And there's enough guys like Crabbe and Turner that are making similar numbers to Aminu and Harkless.

You can make excuses, but these were very poor financial decisions. We could have used it wiser. Plus, Blazers have 2nd highest salary cap right now. :lol:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:Have you looked at the rest of the NBA contracts? This is what players like that make now.
Meh Crabbe making more than John Wall, Kyrie Irving, and Kawhi Leonard still gives me giggles. Also, I would have loved for the Blazers to trade for players on existing contracts to eat our cap space. Instead of overpaying pretty bad players in Turner or Crabbe. Aminu and Harkless' contract are perfectly fine. And there's enough guys like Crabbe and Turner that are making similar numbers to Aminu and Harkless.

You can make excuses, but these were very poor financial decisions. We could have used it wiser. Plus, Blazers have 2nd highest salary cap right now. :lol:
Turner was the bad decision IMO, everything else was fine. 2 years from not once everyone else's contracts are signed under these new cap numbers the contracts will be exactly where you'd expect them to be.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i agree with pudge. you can't compare players who inked deals this past summer with older contracts. the cap skyrocketed.

turner is the only deal i didn't like, too. people will get on crabbe, but he's young and fits in with this young nucleus. what people don't always get: NOBODY WANTS TO COME TO PORTLAND. it's not like we'd have taken the money we used to match crabbe's offer sheet and "spent it wisely elsewhere." we'd have lost a young, productive player and replaced him with nothing.
ImageImageImageImageImage
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Turner hasn't panned out so far, but I'm willing to wait to judge that move. I don't like the Crabbe or Leonard deals.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

oregontrack wrote:i agree with pudge. you can't compare players who inked deals this past summer with older contracts. the cap skyrocketed.

turner is the only deal i didn't like, too. people will get on crabbe, but he's young and fits in with this young nucleus. what people don't always get: NOBODY WANTS TO COME TO PORTLAND. it's not like we'd have taken the money we used to match crabbe's offer sheet and "spent it wisely elsewhere." we'd have lost a young, productive player and replaced him with nothing.
And you might have been better for it. Being stuck in mediocrity with no flexibility is the worst.

I was at the game last night and the team is really really mediocre. Terrible on defense and not fluid on offense.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Phenom wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i agree with pudge. you can't compare players who inked deals this past summer with older contracts. the cap skyrocketed.

And you might have been better for it. Being stuck in mediocrity with no flexibility is the worst.

I was at the game last night and the team is really really mediocre. Terrible on defense and not fluid on offense.

I was listening to The Lowe Post podcast today and he mentioned they could be using the contracts signed this off season as assets to land a better player to play alongside Lillard and also possibly move McCollum.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

My Magic stink, is it okay that the only time I watch the NBA is to watch Shaq and Charles go back and forth?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Blazers look bad, Ducks football sucked, my fantasy team sucks, the Ducks basketball team is under-performing..... 2016 has been very unkind to the sports fan in me.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

portland is almost sarcastically bad defensively.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

FlDuckFan wrote:My Magic stink, is it okay that the only time I watch the NBA is to watch Shaq and Charles go back and forth?
Right there with you, especially since I rarely get a Magic game on TV out here in Oregon.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

seeing fewer and fewer reasons not to come up with a package including crabbe for nerlens noel (and filler). philly's gotta be pretty motivated to move him at this point, and they need shooters. and we certainly need a defensive-minded big man.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Blazers are folding already. We definitely need some interior defensive help.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Some seriously embarrassing losses. I had no idea that the Blazers have the third highest salary in the NBA. Kind of embarrassing to pay that much money for these results.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i love CJ to death but a backcourt of dame and CJ will never, ever, ever be adequate defensively. the blazers are already poor interior defenders, and asking the bigs to pick up the slack of the perimeter guys is just too much.

an aminu and noel frontcourt is more intriguing defensively, but A.) they can't create offense for themselves, B.) we'd still need an ed davis to come off the bench and play big minutes.

i don't really see a downside in trading crabbe for noel (plus filler). philly wanted crabbe last offseason, just not at the price brooklyn offered and we matched. but they've got to get rid of noel, and they're desperate for shooters, so i think they'd jump at the opportunity now.

my other thought is to dangle CJ + filler/picks for demarcus cousins. obviously he's a headcase, but he could be our headcase. and a dame/cousins inside/outside duo would be lethal. it'd certainly shake up the dynamics of the team. on paper i doubt the kings go for it, but sometimes with stupid franchises you gotta dangle something shiny in front of them and see if they bite.

dame
crabbe/turner
moe/turner
aminu
cousins