Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

5$
Five Star Recruit

Re: Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Post by 5$ »

ifuwant2 wrote:I might add that I had no idea that Prehm was responsible for the Rhule turned down Oregon rumors. I was reading those all over the web. No idea Matt was the origin source. I read, in many different places, that we offered Rhule and he said no. In fact, Matt is largely so slow on the take that I'm almost positive I read the Rhule said no narrative before Matt even commented. Hell, Matt was still trying to claim Helf wasn't getting fired when the search was already long underway. We were interviewing people and Matt was still saying Helf was coming back. Doesn't really matter now anyways, but I'm more than shocked to learn Matt was the first to report this. I am more than happy to accept that we never offered the job to Rhule. But I'm still skeptical that Matt made that story up. I'd bet he read it somewhere else too.
Rhule rejects Oregon due to recruiting - CBSSports.com
You're right Prehm didn't start it, Dennis Dodd did, but Prehm summarized in his own report immediately following and didn't do anything to verify or expand on what was said. I still think it's interesting to know that Baylor's new AD had a prior relationship to Rhule, too. As far as the Oregon recruiting disadvantage, why has Oregon always done better in recruiting rankings than Baylor? Never has Baylor exceeded Oregon in recruiting.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Re: Gotta give it up for Matt Rhule

Post by Groundswell »

5$ wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:I might add that I had no idea that Prehm was responsible for the Rhule turned down Oregon rumors. I was reading those all over the web. No idea Matt was the origin source. I read, in many different places, that we offered Rhule and he said no. In fact, Matt is largely so slow on the take that I'm almost positive I read the Rhule said no narrative before Matt even commented. Hell, Matt was still trying to claim Helf wasn't getting fired when the search was already long underway. We were interviewing people and Matt was still saying Helf was coming back. Doesn't really matter now anyways, but I'm more than shocked to learn Matt was the first to report this. I am more than happy to accept that we never offered the job to Rhule. But I'm still skeptical that Matt made that story up. I'd bet he read it somewhere else too.
Rhule rejects Oregon due to recruiting - CBSSports.com
You're right Prehm didn't start it, Dennis Dodd did, but Prehm summarized in his own report immediately following and didn't do anything to verify or expand on what was said. I still think it's interesting to know that Baylor's new AD had a prior relationship to Rhule, too. As far as the Oregon recruiting disadvantage, why has Oregon always done better in recruiting rankings than Baylor? Never has Baylor exceeded Oregon in recruiting.
No doubt there was something strange about that Dodd story. I thought I read elsewhere that "multiple sources" were reporting that Rhule turned down Oregon. Nonetheless, you are exactly right to point out that Rhule had worked with the new Baylor AD. That helps the situation make more sense to me. I could see why someone would make the recruiting advantage argument, even if the rankings weren't the best barometer. There are a lot of good 3 stars in Texas, and across the South, who would be 4 stars if playing in other parts of the country. Artis, who we lost to Baylor, is a pretty prime example. So, yes, there was clearly a more objectively crafted argument for why Rhule might have said no to Oregon. The Dodd deal felt like a hit piece. But there are some Oregon fans who are claiming we never offered Rhule in the first place. And I also don't know how many coaches we talked to--and missed on--before we got to Taggart. Chip, Patterson, Herman, probably Mullen, and we tested the waters with Franklin too. Basically, hard to say who all of the "real" candidates were, but Taggart was certainly not first choice. Pretty happy to have him though.