Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Bob Stoops RETIRING?

Post by woundedknees »

Boom!

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... med-coach/

"OC Lincoln Riley named coach"

"Wild news out of Norman, Okla., as longtime Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has reportedly decided to step down from the top of his program and retire from coaching. Stoops has reportedly called a team meeting where he plans to announce the news to the team."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Bob Stoops RETIRING?

Post by Phenom »

Oof...what a blow for them. Let's steal their recruits. lol
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Did not expect that, wow.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Wow. That was unexpected. With him saying it's not health-related, I wonder if it's something that's going on in his personal life that's making him retire. It'll be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does as HC since Oklahoma is one of those schools that could easily chew on and spit out a young coach who isn't quite ready for that kind of pressure.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Chip Kelly to Oklahoma rumors starting in...3...2...1
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

There has to be a scandal brewing.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:Wow. That was unexpected. With him saying it's not health-related, I wonder if it's something that's going on in his personal life that's making him retire. It'll be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does as HC since Oklahoma is one of those schools that could easily chew on and spit out a young coach who isn't quite ready for that kind of pressure.
Completely unexpected, but curious to why? Not thinking a scandle, sometimes you have enough money and want to slow down and enjoy life
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Alan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Wow. That was unexpected. With him saying it's not health-related, I wonder if it's something that's going on in his personal life that's making him retire. It'll be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does as HC since Oklahoma is one of those schools that could easily chew on and spit out a young coach who isn't quite ready for that kind of pressure.
Completely unexpected, but curious to why? Not thinking a scandle, sometimes you have enough money and want to slow down and enjoy life
Thats what it is. His father died of a heart attack at age 54 while coaching.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
Alan wrote:
A coach at the top of his game, with a solid team, in good health doesn't just disappear like this. He would give a press conference, thank the fans, all the hero stuff. If he just up and quits out of the blue, it isn't because he just woke up and decided he wants to enjoy life. Or maybe it is, I guess we will all find out soon enough.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

karlhungis wrote:
Oregon Ownage wrote:
Alan wrote:
A coach at the top of his game, with a solid team, in good health doesn't just disappear like this. He would give a press conference, thank the fans, all the hero stuff. If he just up and quits out of the blue, it isn't because he just woke up and decided he wants to enjoy life. Or maybe it is, I guess we will all find out soon enough.
Some things are more important than coaching. He is staying in a consultant like role so he will still be associated with the university. If something was going on, they wouldnt keep him onboard in a role.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

He will be coaching somewhere else by the 2019-2020 season. He has a history at Florida so wonder if he ends up there when they inevitably dump McElwain.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Oregon Ownage wrote:Some things are more important than coaching. He is staying in a consultant like role so he will still be associated with the university. If something was going on, they wouldnt keep him onboard in a role.

Yeah I think he is just done and its time. Better to just get out then to drag it on. Like the Old Ball Coach did last year when he stepped down after four games.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Gotta remember, these guys are human. Maybe he just doesnt want to do it anymore. Who knows.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Or wifey and kids put their foot down and said "Stop"
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

18 years of doing that job with the pressure and time demands is like 30+ years in any other job. I don't blame him. Time to go fishin'!!!