Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Saban really cracking down

Post by Bud Lee »

Moving to other's guys
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

There's the right way and then there's the SEC way when it comes to disciplining football players. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

What a joke...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:What a joke...
Regular students can get kicked out of school for a DUI. Football players routinely see them dismissed when the cops don't show up to the trial.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

While I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, he definitely should be, you guys do realize he wasn't actually driving don't you. He was passed out at in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition. He's 21 years old so he's legally allowed to drink, and he made the decision not to drive. Carrington on the other hand ran into a McDonald's and it was at least his 3rd issue.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples here.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

alabamaduck wrote:While I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, he definitely should be, you guys do realize he wasn't actually driving don't you. He was passed out at in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition. He's 21 years old so he's legally allowed to drink, and he made the decision not to drive. Carrington on the other hand ran into a McDonald's and it was at least his 3rd issue.

I don't buy that reasoning as you are leaving out the fact that the car was ON. He had every intention of driving he was just too drunk to do so. The engine being turned ON while in the drivers seat says everything. This isn't a drunk kid passed out in the back of his car or even drunk in the passenger seat. Intent is pretty clear in this situation and this attitude is what allows Saban and so many others to continue acting like children instead of adults.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck07 wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:While I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, he definitely should be, you guys do realize he wasn't actually driving don't you. He was passed out at in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition. He's 21 years old so he's legally allowed to drink, and he made the decision not to drive. Carrington on the other hand ran into a McDonald's and it was at least his 3rd issue.

I don't buy that reasoning as you are leaving out the fact that the car was ON. He had every intention of driving he was just too drunk to do so. The engine being turned ON while in the drivers seat says everything. This isn't a drunk kid passed out in the back of his car or even drunk in the passenger seat. Intent is pretty clear in this situation and this attitude is what allows Saban and so many others to continue acting like children instead of adults.

I haven't seen anywhere that that ignition was on, just that the keys were in it. Either way it's not a good look and in no way am i excusing it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Hand was parked in a near-campus parking lot, sitting in the driver’s seat with the headlights on and the vehicle cranked, but was asleep with the car in park. The arresting officer found Hand at 4:30 a.m. at the 1100 block of University Blvd. Bars in Tuscaloosa close at 2 a.m.
That means that while the engine wasn't idling, the car and engine are now ON. Of course terminology can vary wildly depending on region/country, but we're not talking about a car with engine problems either though it likely has a battery problem now.

A person with the intent to drive would have the lights and car on.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Duck07 wrote:
Hand was parked in a near-campus parking lot, sitting in the driver’s seat with the headlights on and the vehicle cranked, but was asleep with the car in park. The arresting officer found Hand at 4:30 a.m. at the 1100 block of University Blvd. Bars in Tuscaloosa close at 2 a.m.
That means that while the engine wasn't idling, the car and engine are now ON. Of course terminology can vary wildly depending on region/country, but we're not talking about a car with engine problems either though it likely has a battery problem now.

Just to play devil's advocate, one looking to sleep off a drunk state in the south in their vehicle is going to crank that sucker up for the A/C about 9 months out of the year. If the vehicle is a newer model the chances are that the headlights might have a "auto" option that will turn them on while the engine is running if the sensors indicate that they should be on, thus his intent might of simply been to sleep it off despite evidence to the contrary.

With all of that said though in LA that would still get you a DUI as the courts have concluded that in such a situation you are operating a vehicle impaired even though you are not moving.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Also typical Saban bullshit in not suspending him.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck07 wrote:

I'm well aware of what what a vehicle being cranked means, what I said was that I haven't seen any stories that the engine or the lights were on, only that he was passed out with the keys in the ignition, not that I've tried to read many articles about this or anything.

Just out of curiosity, where did this quote come from? I haven't seen this in any of the stories on al.com (Alabama's version of oregonlive.com) and i would think it would have been included in at least one of them since they crank out multiple stories a day about Bama.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's from Tuscaloosa News, the original source that all of those other sites are using as the basis of their reports.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... dui-arrest

this one says;

Hand was deemed to be in "constructive possession" of the vehicle, according to Alabama state law. The keys being in the car triggered the arrest, even though Hand wasn't driving and the car was parked. Hand was reportedly sitting in the driver's seat with the headlights on and car cranked, but the car was in park and Hand was asleep.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, one looking to sleep off a drunk state in the south in their vehicle is going to crank that sucker up for the A/C about 9 months out of the year. If the vehicle is a newer model the chances are that the headlights might have a "auto" option that will turn them on while the engine is running if the sensors indicate that they should be on, thus his intent might of simply been to sleep it off despite evidence to the contrary.

With all of that said though in LA that would still get you a DUI as the courts have concluded that in such a situation you are operating a vehicle impaired even though you are not moving.
To keep playing DA, isn't that now illegal camping as well? And also, let's not forget - let's *not* forget, Dude - that keeping wildlife...uhm, an amphibious rodent, for...uhm, you know, domestic...within the city...that ain't legal either.