seattle mariners

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

seattle mariners

Post by oregontrack »

i'm not even sure if we've had a mariners thread the last few seasons. that about sums up the very existence of our beloved, misbegotten franchise.

anyway, the m's are staying afloat this year (32-33, 1.5 back in the WC) despite a triple a starting rotation. we were expected to have felix, kuma, paxton, smyly, and miranda on staff, but smyly hasn't pitched at all this year, felix and kuma have been on the DL for quite some time, and paxton only recently got back from a month-long stay on the shelf. so basically we've been using Tacoma's pitching staff, to various degrees of success. sam gaviglio has been a nice find. a nod to ariel miranda, who's pitched very well since the pitching staff has gone to hell.

though taijuan walker would undoubtedly help out considering we've started, i think, 13 different guys already this year, offensively the trade with arizona has been great for us. jean segura leads the AL in BA, and we just inked him to a 5 year extension. mitch haniger doesn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for league leader board, but he's hitting .348. RARE is it for seattle to actually get quality back in a trade. good work.

m's took evan white, 1B/OF, out of kentucky with the #17 overall last night. supposed to be an elite level defender at 1B w/ above average offensive tools and who is expected to grow into his power.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: seattle mariners

Post by UOducksTK1 »

We've been playing really well the last few weeks. Three starters hitting over .300? Lol that doesn't sound like the Ms.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I wonder if we make a trade at the deadline for starting pitching.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

we'll be getting felix back in about a week; i believe kuma is expected back mid-july. smyly is even throwing bullpen sessions now. once everybody comes back i'm sure they'll evaluate. just getting healthy may be the equivalent to a nice deadline deal.

mariners are in a weird position. they're both very young and yet kind of old. nelson only has one year left on his deal and i think he's 38 (?), cano isn't exactly getting younger, and felix has been showing signs of decline for a few years now. you know that's going to push the front office to try to win now, and the major's longest playoff drought (16 years...) is a bad albatross the franchise obviously wants to shake. but there's no chance we can catch houston for the division, so our best case scenario is a do-or-die one game wild card appearance. how much do you roll the dice in a mid-season deal to gear up for what could be a one-game postseason??

to answer my own question, i REALLY want to see felix pitch in a playoff game. he deserves it, after all the crap we've made him put up with. but our farm system isn't exactly deep, and raiding it for any kind of star to put us over the hump is a dangerous game.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

last night's 20-7 loss was a good example of the downside of pitching with a triple a rotation.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

going up today and tomorrow vs Tigers, always love watching games at Safeco. Zuinio is tearing it up since called back up, 2 more homers last night, 28 or so Rbi's this month.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it is the month of junino.

we are, almost unbelievably, 1.5 games back of the last wild card. it does help that most of the AL is a trash heap of .500 teams.

felix and kuma are back this weekend. smyly is supposedly back prior to the deadline.
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

MLB as a whole seems weak this year. NL West is stacked, and AL East is competitive, but other divisions aren't great right now. Astros killing it, but AL Central is meh and rest of AL West besides Houston is meh too. NL Central is meh, and NL East is just terrible.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

oh hello .500, how i've missed you.

37-37 w/ former north eugene and oregon state star (and current organizational #2 pitching prospect) andrew moore getting his first starting nod today. felix returns tomorrow, albeit against the astros.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

oregontrack wrote:oh hello .500, how i've missed you.

37-37 w/ former north eugene and oregon state star (and current organizational #2 pitching prospect) andrew moore getting his first starting nod today. felix returns tomorrow, albeit against the astros.
Hate that he is a beaver, but love that he is from North! Would be great if his success continues to translate at the next level.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ms have won 4 straight. Can't believe we are only 1.5 out of the wild card.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

7 innings 3 runs on 100 pitches and a win in his major league debut. Gamel is hitting 352 to go with Jean and Hangier, then Robbie, Nelson and Kyle as the rbi hitters.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

thomas time wrote:7 innings 3 runs on 100 pitches and a win in his major league debut. Gamel is hitting 352 to go with Jean and Hangier, then Robbie, Nelson and Kyle as the rbi hitters.
Ya, Kyle is struggling a bit this year. But if he can have that hot month and half or so he usually does at a good time and carry us when some others struggle could be a fun second half of the season.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

oregontrack wrote:i'm not even sure if we've had a mariners thread the last few seasons. that about sums up the very existence of our beloved, misbegotten franchise.

anyway, the m's are staying afloat this year (32-33, 1.5 back in the WC) despite a triple a starting rotation. we were expected to have felix, kuma, paxton, smyly, and miranda on staff, but smyly hasn't pitched at all this year, felix and kuma have been on the DL for quite some time, and paxton only recently got back from a month-long stay on the shelf. so basically we've been using Tacoma's pitching staff, to various degrees of success. sam gaviglio has been a nice find. a nod to ariel miranda, who's pitched very well since the pitching staff has gone to hell.

though taijuan walker would undoubtedly help out considering we've started, i think, 13 different guys already this year, offensively the trade with arizona has been great for us. jean segura leads the AL in BA, and we just inked him to a 5 year extension. mitch haniger doesn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for league leader board, but he's hitting .348. RARE is it for seattle to actually get quality back in a trade. good work.

m's took evan white, 1B/OF, out of kentucky with the #17 overall last night. supposed to be an elite level defender at 1B w/ above average offensive tools and who is expected to grow into his power.
Did the Mariners get both Segura and Haniger in the trade, or just Segura?