Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Merganzer »

Well, Spurs 116-105, 10th win in a row at home for the Spurs. The Spurs "Insider" said that San Antonio needed the game more, and given their relative playoff situations he had a point. The good news is that Lillard had 33 points in his return. Next up, @ Denver, Monday.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.blazersedge.com/2018/4/8/17 ... rs-nuggets

Ed Davis expected to play against Nuggets.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Denver 88 Blazers 82. Blazers shot 33% Nuggets 37%, Jokic for Denver gets a triple double, 15 points, 10 assists, 20 Rebounds. Nurkic 20 points, one assist, 19 rebounds. Win keeps playoff hopes for Nuggets. Blazers are 48-33, Utah is 47-33, host Golden State tomorrow. Season ends with Utah @ Portland, Wednesday.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

33 points in the 2nd half. Really nice shooting performance by everyone tonight, should have just rested for the Utah game instead of that.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Four game losing streak now. If we beat Utah on Wednesday I'll feel okay (no better though) going into the playoffs, if we lose I'll be waiting for a first-round exit.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Napier goes 2-10 and Baldwin doesn't play a minute. I love Shabaz, but I feel like Wade has earned more run than that.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

McCollum is shooting 35% from the field over the last six games, while still average 18.5 shots per game. Lillard is slightly under 39% over that same span, on 19 shots/game. Hopefully they start shooting better soon.

Maybe someone can correct me, but as near as I can tell, if the Blazers lose to Utah, they lose a tie-breaker with San Antonio if the Spurs win vs. the Pelicans because the Spurs took the season series. If New Orleans wins, I think they win the tie-breaker too because they would have a better division record in that case. If that is true, then the Blazers will either get third with a win, or fifth and no home-court advantage with a loss. This has been quite a meltdown to end the season. On the other hand, during this losing streak a couple of Eastern teams have passed the Blazers in the standings. Maybe the last week has just been a strategic tank maneuver to improve draft position. :lol:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote: Maybe someone can correct me, but as near as I can tell, if the Blazers lose to Utah, they lose a tie-breaker with San Antonio if the Spurs win vs. the Pelicans because the Spurs took the season series. If New Orleans wins, I think they win the tie-breaker too because they would have a better division record in that case. If that is true, then the Blazers will either get third with a win, or fifth and no home-court advantage with a loss. This has been quite a meltdown to end the season. On the other hand, during this losing streak a couple of Eastern teams have passed the Blazers in the standings. Maybe the last week has just been a strategic tank maneuver to improve draft position. :lol:
So I believe that if GS beats Utah tonight and OKC beats Memphis, there would be a 3 way tie in the NW division that would be settled first if we did also lose to Utah. As a result, division record would set the Blazers up 1st whereas they would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker over just Utah. Obviously just beating Utah is the easiest one to figure out. Reading a little more about it, the NO/SA game is important because if SAS and PDX have the same record, SAS will be seeded higher due to the 2-1 series record which could likely put PDX at 5 facing SAS in the first round on the road.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: So I believe that if GS beats Utah tonight and OKC beats Memphis, there would be a 3 way tie in the NW division that would be settled first if we did also lose to Utah. As a result, division record would set the Blazers up 1st whereas they would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker over just Utah. Obviously just beating Utah is the easiest one to figure out. Reading a little more about it, the NO/SA game is important because if SAS and PDX have the same record, SAS will be seeded higher due to the 2-1 series record which could likely put PDX at 5 facing SAS in the first round on the road.
Yeah, I hadn't put the Utah/ Golden State game into the thinking. If somehow the Blazers lose, but still are deemed division champs, doesn't that remove the tiebreaker advantage with San Antonio (or New Orleans)? When I was reading about tiebreaker rules last night division champion was #1 and head-to-head was #2, but I didn't think it was relevant, since I assumed a loss to Utah would make the Jazz the division champs.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Never mind. It's way more complicated than I was thinking.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2018/4/10/1 ... akers-jazz
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:Never mind. It's way more complicated than I was thinking.

Just about to post the same link...To quote the late Al Davis, "Just win, baby" is the way to go for the Blazers. However, the work starts tonight with us hoping that the Warriors beat the Jazz.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:

Just about to post the same link...To quote the late Al Davis, "Just win, baby" is the way to go for the Blazers. However, the work starts tonight with us hoping that the Warriors beat the Jazz.
The one scenario where Portland can rest everyone before the Utah game starts is this:
GS beats Utah on the road today
NO beats SAS at home tomorrow
OKC beats Memphis at home tomorrow

Of course the question might also be with the cold streak which is better, another game to get ready and in sync or a day of rest?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:

The one scenario where Portland can rest everyone before the Utah game starts is this:
GS beats Utah on the road today
NO beats SAS at home tomorrow
OKC beats Memphis at home tomorrow

Of course the question might also be with the cold streak which is better, another game to get ready and in sync or a day of rest?
The good news is that it seems like what helps the Blazers the most in those games is what should happen, and I vote for the day of rest, the Blazers aren't exactly riding a hot streak right now.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Halftime: Jazz 62 Warriors 33
Final: Jazz 119 Warriors 79
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »