Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:very happy to see collins get the post-game interview, kid deserves some pub. he was fantastic in the 4th quarter.

it's getting easier and easier for me to imagine the blazers re-upping nap and davis and letting nurk walk, especially if free agency gets wacky and someone comes in with a crazy, blazer-esqu offer. we may need to also bring in a cheap veteran big man (or, you know, play meyers leonard some) but collins' play has quietly been one of the best stories of this win streak. stotts really doesn't like playing rookies if he can help it, but collins has not only carved out a role but a 4th quarter role at that.

I think it is very interesting that Stotts is not playing Nurk as many minutes lately, and also not in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. It's almost as if he is telegraphing their plans when the season ends, or at least what their bargaining position will be. Of course, I think that, and then Olshey goes and signs garbage players for ridiculous contracts. So who knows? I agree that signing Davis and calling it a day is looking more and more likely. It's too bad they couldn't trade Nurk before the deadline if that is the case though. Maybe he is waiting to see how Nurk does in the playoffs before making up his mind. They are already well over the cap for next year without signing any of them, so if any can command big money on the free agent market, I think the Blazers will be forced to let them go.

It really is too bad that six players basically eat up the entire salary cap, especially when three of those players are Turner, Harkless, and Leonard. Really makes it hard to put together a good team with a good bench.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

basically my dream draft at this point would be trading our 1st rounder + moe for a second rounder, where we'd take boise state's chandler hutchison. if the cap expands just a little for '19 this would basically put us basically dead even.

shedding nurk and/or moe would also allow us (i believe) to use our full MLE, which in theory should be enough to re-sign both davis and nap unless, as mentioned, someone comes in with a huge offer we just couldn't afford to match.

this plan will be blown up when the spurs, ever the smartest team in the league, swoops in at the end of the 1st round to snag hutchison and destroys my dreams.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

108-103 Blazers over the Lakers for the 15th time in a row. It looked bad for Portland, trailed with 4 minutes to play in the 4t quarter, but Lillard hit 3 3 pointers in the row to take a 3 point lead, Lakers tied it up, so Lillard hit another 3, 19, in the 4th quarter, 39 in the game.. He is human and missed a free throw. With 7 seconds to go, Blazers led by 3. LA was inbounding, Blazers had a foul to give, but McCollum fouled new Laker, Isaiah Thomas before the ball was inbounded. That gave LA a free throw and possession. Thomas was short on the free throw. Down by 3 now, Lakers inbounded again, this time Napier stole the ball from Thomas, and finished the scoring from the free throw line. The win puts the Blazers at 38-26, 7 in a row,9-10. Home against the Knicks tomorrow night.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Merganzer wrote:108-103 Blazers over the Lakers for the 15th time in a row. It looked bad for Portland, trailed with 4 minutes to play in the 4t quarter, but Lillard hit 3 3 pointers in the row to take a 3 point lead, Lakers tied it up, so Lillard hit another 3, 19, in the 4th quarter, 39 in the game.. He is human and missed a free throw. With 7 seconds to go, Blazers led by 3. LA was inbounding, Blazers had a foul to give, but McCollum fouled new Laker, Isaiah Thomas before the ball was inbounded. That gave LA a free throw and possession. Thomas was short on the free throw. Down by 3 now, Lakers inbounded again, this time Napier stole the ball from Thomas, and finished the scoring from the free throw line. The win puts the Blazers at 38-26, 7 in a row,9-10. Home against the Knicks tomorrow night.
We didn't just trail by four, we trailed by ten with six minutes left. Awesome comeback.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Tray Dub wrote:
Merganzer wrote:108-103 Blazers over the Lakers for the 15th time in a row. It looked bad for Portland, trailed with 4 minutes to play in the 4t quarter, but Lillard hit 3 3 pointers in the row to take a 3 point lead, Lakers tied it up, so Lillard hit another 3, 19, in the 4th quarter, 39 in the game.. He is human and missed a free throw. With 7 seconds to go, Blazers led by 3. LA was inbounding, Blazers had a foul to give, but McCollum fouled new Laker, Isaiah Thomas before the ball was inbounded. That gave LA a free throw and possession. Thomas was short on the free throw. Down by 3 now, Lakers inbounded again, this time Napier stole the ball from Thomas, and finished the scoring from the free throw line. The win puts the Blazers at 38-26, 7 in a row,9-10. Home against the Knicks tomorrow night.
We didn't just trail by four, we trailed by ten with six minutes left. Awesome comeback.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:basically my dream draft at this point would be trading our 1st rounder + moe for a second rounder, where we'd take boise state's chandler hutchison. if the cap expands just a little for '19 this would basically put us basically dead even.

shedding nurk and/or moe would also allow us (i believe) to use our full MLE, which in theory should be enough to re-sign both davis and nap unless, as mentioned, someone comes in with a huge offer we just couldn't afford to match.

this plan will be blown up when the spurs, ever the smartest team in the league, swoops in at the end of the 1st round to snag hutchison and destroys my dreams.
If we are dreaming, I'd rather have Meyers Leonard or Evan Turner getting shipped out than Harkless, who at least has a prayer of punching his cap weight. If we have to give up a first round pick/rookie contract, it just makes all of these signings worse and worse.

Tremendous finish by Lillard tonight. It's concerning how the Blazers seem often to fall behind in the 3rd quarter against these non-playoff teams, but it sure is nice to have a guy who can close out a game the way Lillard does. If the ducks had someone like that this year, they would be an easy tournament team.

Also saw a lot of effort from Nurkic tonight. Still wondering how these guys will do in a playoff series.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Dame is playing his best I would say the last month or so, as for as Nurk I would say sign him 3 or 4 years for around 10 million a year. I got him on my fantasy team now and while he's frustrating to own night's like last night are what I think he's more capable of. I think during the offseason he'll hopefully really work on his post game and make more of the easy layups. Most the time when he gets the ball down low he just throws the ball up, and doesn't take his time like he should. Napier and Ed would both be nice to return too if blazers can get them at a reasonable price.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Phalanx wrote:
oregontrack wrote:basically my dream draft at this point would be trading our 1st rounder + moe for a second rounder, where we'd take boise state's chandler hutchison. if the cap expands just a little for '19 this would basically put us basically dead even.

If we are dreaming, I'd rather have Meyers Leonard or Evan Turner getting shipped out than Harkless, who at least has a prayer of punching his cap weight. If we have to give up a first round pick/rookie contract, it just makes all of these signings worse and worse.

Tremendous finish by Lillard tonight. It's concerning how the Blazers seem often to fall behind in the 3rd quarter against these non-playoff teams, but it sure is nice to have a guy who can close out a game the way Lillard does. If the ducks had someone like that this year, they would be an easy tournament team.

Also saw a lot of effort from Nurkic tonight. Still wondering how these guys will do in a playoff series.
same here, i just don't think we have a prayer of unloading either until they're on the final year of their respective deals. harkless (reportedly) had some trade buzz about him at the deadline. i should have started that sentence out with my *quasi-realistic* dream.

also agree on nurk. my big beef with nurk, outside of questionable effort on occasion, is his play around the rim. he gets so damn cute with these tiny little floaters and lay-ins when he could just dunk most of his attempts. aggressive, dunking nurk is the best nurk.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:
Awesome indeed, second time in the last 3 games that Lillard has scored 19 in a single quarter, Phoenix.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The Blazers have scored 108, the last three games.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

"It's a trap!" The Blazers just beat the Lakers in a thriller, then they get on their plane, come home, and have the second of a back to back against the Knicks, w/o Porzingas, and the Warriors looming on the horizon. The signs are all there. But this run the Blazers are on has me thinking that they will take care of the Knicks, and set up a game against the Warriors with a new dynamic in place.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Dame is amazing. You can't trade him if you're the Blazers.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Phenom wrote:Dame is amazing. You can't trade him if you're the Blazers.
It's an interesting discussion. His trade value has never been higher. If I were Olshey, I would at least be interested to see what teams offered. If you assume that Nurk and Napier will walk at season's end, the Blazers are going to get worse the next two years rather than better. Trading Lillard for a chance to reset might be worth it. Still, I can see why people would be worried that we'd never be able to replace him. The draft is the only way, and it's pretty risky.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Him and CJ are 26/27. Soo unless you are gonna start competing in the next couple years, by adding some more talent, now is the time to capitalize on their value.

Otherwise, we will wait two years, and they will be 28/29 and will be trending downward and their value will be shot.

It's hard for us to add pieces though. We really only win by drafting well.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13