Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Merganzer »

Got interesting at the end, but the Blazers fizzled out 10-40 from 3, lose to the Mavericks, 115-109. Up next: @ Houston Thursday.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Lillard apparently sustained an ankle injury vs. Dallas and had to be carted off after the game. San Antonio's loss means the Blazers are up three games on them and the Jazz for the 3rd seed with four to play. It's a big deal to stay in that position. They wouldn't face Houston until the conference finals, and it seems preferable to possibly face Golden State in round 2.

I will still be surprised if the Blazers make it past the first round; I just don't think they have that higher gear that the better teams hit in the playoffs. If they draw the Thunder as a first-round opponent, I think they will have a hard time with Westbrook and George, who are both strong playoff performers. Nurkic could be a real difference maker, but if he plays really well in the playoffs, he probably plays himself out of Portland. I think this is the year though - the roster buckles under the weight of all of those bad contracts starting this summer, so hopefully the Blazers can return to last month's form soon.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm of the opinion that portland wouldn't be able to beat houston or golden state in the second round, so in that regard i'm less about the 3-seed and more jazzed up about missing the spurs in the first round. if that means securing the 3-seed as well then all the better.

these injuries are getting me down. seems like we're just waiting for CJ to slip on a banana peel and nurk to step into an abandoned elevator shaft. assuming we still have 5 healthy bodies when the playoffs begin, i think OKC would be our dream scenario.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Lillard kept playing on that ankle, albeit with a bit less burst. I think he'll be okay.

We could give the Rockets or Warriors a series. At our best we should be able to pick up a couple wins, and if something flukey happens you never know.

We'll be favorites in the first round, and deservedly so. Phalanx, I don't see where you're coming from with the higher gear. Dame is one of the best crunch-time players in the league, and our offense can just dump points on the other team when we're hitting.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

You can call it a pessimistic view. I'm just not surprised that the end of the season brings injuries. The Blazers have a lot of eggs in a few baskets. It's what I have been railing on all year. You give two guys max deals and add to it the Turner, Leonard, and Harkless deals, it doesn't leave any room for a bench, and then you end up playing these guys high minutes every night. They are bound to break down. The NBA season is an ordeal anyway, lots of teams have injury issues. You just don't want your turn to be when the playoffs are about to start, and unfortunately, it looks like that is what is happening for the Blazers.

Lillard, even before the injury, has come back down to earth in terms of shooting; his fg% is .391 in the last 10 games. This also seemed inevitable to me. Teams that rely so heavily on guard play are bound to have their ups and downs. This is why Nurkic feels like the key for a playoff run in my mind. Hopefully he stays healthy, despite the increased minutes since Davis went down.

There is quite a difference in the way Houston and Golden State are playing right now. I think both teams are significantly better than the Blazers, but if I get to pick, I'm definitely going with the Warriors as a second-round opponent. I also like that Utah and San Antonio have to play each other if the Blazers can stay ahead of them. I agree that OKC is a good match-up in comparison, I just don't think an injured Blazer team would be able to prevail against Westbrook and George, who I expect to step it up in the playoffs. It may not matter anyway, since OKC would lose a tie-breaker with the next three teams in line behind them. There's a good chance the first-round opponent will be the Timberwolves, who may or may not have Butler back by then. Heck, it might even be Denver, if they can beat the Timberwolves a couple of times.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

[quote="Phalanx"]You can call it a pessimistic view. I'm just not surprised that the end of the season brings injuries. The Blazers have a lot of eggs in a few baskets. It's what I have been railing on all year. You give two guys max deals and add to it the Turner, Leonard, and Harkless deals, it doesn't leave any room for a bench, and then you end up playing these guys high minutes every night. They are bound to break down. The NBA season is an ordeal anyway, lots of teams have injury issues. You just don't want your turn to be when the playoffs are about to start, and unfortunately, it looks like that is what is happening for the Blazers.

We get it. Give it a rest.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I don't know what nogerO is upset about, I thought you were fine.

I share your pessimism if the Blazers are still banged up by the first round, but I think Lillard will very likely be fine within a week or so, Ed Davis looks like he'll be back soon. Harkless seems a bit iffier, but I'm still hoping we'll see him in the first round. With a healthy squad, I'd be confident in beating any first round opponent.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i may have to walk back my fear of the spurs. i didn't realize their home/road splits were as drastic as they are:

home 31-8
road 14-26

i was watching them lose to the lakers last night and nothing made sense, until their ridiculously bad road performances were mentioned.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

So, the Rockets don't care if they win by a lot, or a little. Last time they won by 4, this time, the Blazers have a 17-0 run, with a pair of missed free throws by Harden. Connaugton tied it up, but he did it with 6 seconds left. The Rockets used 5.2 of those to get a lay up by Paul to take the lead, Napier's shot was just off the mark as time ran out, Rockets 96 Blazers 94.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Merganzer wrote:So, the Rockets don't care if they win by a lot, or a little. Last time they won by 4, this time, the Blazers have a 17-0 run, with a pair of missed free throws by Harden. Connaugton tied it up, but he did it with 6 seconds left. The Rockets used 5.2 of those to get a lay up by Paul to take the lead, Napier's shot was just off the mark as time ran out, Rockets 96 Blazers 94.
It was a really good effort by the team without Dame and with CJ shooting poorly. The run at the end was really something.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Utah wins as well, so the lead is down to 2 games with three to play. The Jazz and Blazers play each other on the last game of the regular season, with the tie-breaker going to the winner of that game. It looks like that game might end up beign a must-win for the Blazers to stay in the #3 spot.

How about Wade Baldwin? He's looking like a really good signing through next season. Meanwhile, Napier continues to blow opportunities to shine.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Phalanx wrote:How about Wade Baldwin? He's looking like a really good signing through next season.
Yeah, it looks like another good find by Olshey. I guess it is possible these are a couple flash in the pan games, but the potential is certainly there for him to be a solid backup next season.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Tray Dub wrote:I don't know what nogerO is upset about, I thought you were fine.

I share your pessimism if the Blazers are still banged up by the first round, but I think Lillard will very likely be fine within a week or so, Ed Davis looks like he'll be back soon. Harkless seems a bit iffier, but I'm still hoping we'll see him in the first round. With a healthy squad, I'd be confident in beating any first round opponent.
I'm actually not upset. It just seems that everytime I click on this thread I see the same narrative. I don't disagree, next year will be a challenge to get better.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:
Merganzer wrote:So, the Rockets don't care if they win by a lot, or a little. Last time they won by 4, this time, the Blazers have a 17-0 run, with a pair of missed free throws by Harden. Connaugton tied it up, but he did it with 6 seconds left. The Rockets used 5.2 of those to get a lay up by Paul to take the lead, Napier's shot was just off the mark as time ran out, Rockets 96 Blazers 94.
It was a really good effort by the team without Dame and with CJ shooting poorly. The run at the end was really something.
Ya that was an incredible run to finish the game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Oh man I was so disgusted in that game early on, especially with Houston going 13-23 from 3 in the 1st half but I just knew they were going to eventually make it a close game but didn't expect that kind of run. Baldwin had no qualms standing up to Harden and Paul and mean muggin them during the process.