Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:That's a big honor for Lillard and Portland. He earned it though.
It also puts him in line to qualify for a super max extension if he finished all nba again next year. I saw AD is rumored to get like a 5/230 extension! :shock:
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:
oregontrack wrote:damian lillard, first team all nba.
Hopefully that makes him feel better as he watches Chris Paul and Steph Curry battling to see who gets to the NBA finals. Maybe it will take his mind off of getting his butt kicked by Jrue Holiday in the first-round playoff sweep.
CP and Steph would have likely had more votes if they didn’t miss so many games this year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Lillard reportedly asking for another meeting with Paul Allen. I'm guessing it is to restructure his contract and take a cut in pay so that they can sign a starting forward?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

that was reported by canzano, and lillard denied it and called canzano a clown.

it could still be true for all i know. the whole idea of these meetings being clandestine is sort of weird, too. it would be strange if the owner and the face of the franchise wouldn't have some sort of consistent dialogue, or avenues to communicate without the press getting involved.
ImageImageImageImageImage
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don't think I've ever heard of an NBA player restructuring their deal once it's signed. Even if they did, I doubt the NBAPA would want to open that door.

Even if he wanted to; the Blazers are nowhere near having cap space to sign a starting level player. They'd need to shed about 50-60 million to get to that level.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of an NBA player restructuring their deal once it's signed. Even if they did, I doubt the NBAPA would want to open that door.

Even if he wanted to; the Blazers are nowhere near having cap space to sign a starting level player. They'd need to shed about 50-60 million to get to that level.
I think that Shawn Kemp actually did restructure his deal with the Blazers before retiring, but of course, that is irrelevant because I was joking about Lillard wanting to take one for the team. If anything, he probably can't wait for another supermax contract. He may not be meeting with Allen at all, but if he is, it is likely to be for a reason that focuses on Lillard and his needs, rather than meeting in order to offer some kind of solution to help out the team.

An article on the Blazers being in one of the worst salary cap situations in the NBA:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776 ... son#slide9
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

alrighty, here’s my question for the long weekend: if lebron leaves cleveland and the cavs look for a rebuild, would you trade CJ to bring kevin love home? forgive me if the trade doesn’t work straight up and either team needs to add filler.

re-sign ed davis and draft chandler hutchison with the #24, and we could have a 2-deep of:

lillard/baldwin
turner/hutchison
aminu/harkless
love/swanigan
collins/davis

it would make for some funky floor spacing, as both big men shoot the 3 better than either starter at the 2 or 3.

this also assume stotts lets k-love play like the k-love from minnesota, and not the bit role player/standstill shooter the cavs have turned him into.

just a thought.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

oregontrack wrote:alrighty, here’s my question for the long weekend: if lebron leaves cleveland and the cavs look for a rebuild, would you trade CJ to bring kevin love home? forgive me if the trade doesn’t work straight up and either team needs to add filler.

re-sign ed davis and draft chandler hutchison with the #24, and we could have a 2-deep of:

lillard/baldwin
turner/hutchison
aminu/harkless
love/swanigan
collins/davis

it would make for some funky floor spacing, as both big men shoot the 3 better than either starter at the 2 or 3.

this also assume stotts lets k-love play like the k-love from minnesota, and not the bit role player/standstill shooter the cavs have turned him into.

just a thought.
I just put it into ESPN's trade machine, it works out cap-wise.

I think I might pull that trigger. We could use a shakeup, Love style complements Dame's because he can play off-ball, and he'd be a fan favorite. My only concern is that he'll be 30 next season, a few years older than CJ. But still, that seems like a fair, reasonable trade that probably makes us a bit better and gives us a fresh new look.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:alrighty, here’s my question for the long weekend: if lebron leaves cleveland and the cavs look for a rebuild, would you trade CJ to bring kevin love home? forgive me if the trade doesn’t work straight up and either team needs to add filler.

lillard/baldwin
turner/hutchison
aminu/harkless
love/swanigan
collins/davis

just a thought.

Blazers should be able to do better than Kevin Love for CJ
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

There was talk of CJ for Love and the Nets pick at the deadline but that the Blazers turned it down. They can for sure do better than just Love.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

I can't see them trading CJ unless they somehow got Kawhi Leonard or Anthony Davis in return. Blazers desperately need another scorer to pair up with the guards.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It feels like the fix for the Blazers is not trading one max contract for another. What they need are some guys on their rookie deals who can contribute and not add to the cap problems. I got a little excited last year when they accumulated three first-round picks, but then they basically struck out by trading two for one and drafting a couple of meh players instead of some of the real impact guys that ended up going to other teams. It's possible that Collins will pan out, but if it takes a few years, he won't be on his rookie deal anymore, and he wasn't a good return on three picks in any case.

I personally don't believe that Lillard is a once-in-a-generation talent, and I have no issue with going young and 'wasting his prime years'. If it takes a few years for young guys to develop, so be it. I don't believe a championship is just a matter of one trade. The Blazers simply don't have the assets to compete with the top teams, and as everyone has now learned, paying large contracts to end-of-the-bench type players doesn't turn them into assets, but rather, millstones around the team's neck.

If they do end up trading McCollum, one of the top scorers on a team with scoring issues, I would hope that whatever else they got, a draft pick or a very young player would be involved. That really seems like the only way out of this mess for the Blazers. Otherwise, it's probably a five-year fix at a minimum, waiting for contracts to expire and then rebuilding with terrible draft picks.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:It feels like the fix for the Blazers is not trading one max contract for another. What they need are some guys on their rookie deals who can contribute and not add to the cap problems. I got a little excited last year when they accumulated three first-round picks, but then they basically struck out by trading two for one and drafting a couple of meh players instead of some of the real impact guys that ended up going to other teams. It's possible that Collins will pan out, but if it takes a few years, he won't be on his rookie deal anymore, and he wasn't a good return on three picks in any case.

I personally don't believe that Lillard is a once-in-a-generation talent, and I have no issue with going young and 'wasting his prime years'. If it takes a few years for young guys to develop, so be it. I don't believe a championship is just a matter of one trade. The Blazers simply don't have the assets to compete with the top teams, and as everyone has now learned, paying large contracts to end-of-the-bench type players doesn't turn them into assets, but rather, millstones around the team's neck.

If they do end up trading McCollum, one of the top scorers on a team with scoring issues, I would hope that whatever else they got, a draft pick or a very young player would be involved. That really seems like the only way out of this mess for the Blazers. Otherwise, it's probably a five-year fix at a minimum, waiting for contracts to expire and then rebuilding with terrible draft picks.
I feel like what you don't realize is players don't want to be in Portland. I remember awhile back you talked about needing to be like the Spurs and signing a guy like Aldridge at a below max good contract, you do realize he took that contract with them at a smaller offer than Portland offered him to sign away from Portland. That should speak to you more about what the reality of what Portland can do than anything else. It is what it is, and the powers that be understand that.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/20 ... llum-trade

Good article with some hypothetical CJ trades at the end.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:It feels like the fix for the Blazers is not trading one max contract for another. What they need are some guys on their rookie deals who can contribute and not add to the cap problems. I got a little excited last year when they accumulated three first-round picks, but then they basically struck out by trading two for one and drafting a couple of meh players instead of some of the real impact guys that ended up going to other teams. It's possible that Collins will pan out, but if it takes a few years, he won't be on his rookie deal anymore, and he wasn't a good return on three picks in any case.

Ironically they had their chance in last years draft, but they selected two project bigs even though they already had Nurk, Davis, and Leonard on the books.

Its hard to see a player like Swanigan contributing in today’s NBA. Olshey blew it.