Report: Chip being vetted by Gators

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Report: Chip being vetted by Gators

Post by greenyellow »

According to a report on SI.com, Florida has been vetting Chip Kelly for their open HC job. It still remains to be seen if there's mutual interest so they may have to look elsewhere, likely Frost or Dan Mullen.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... aching-job
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Report: Chip being vetted by Gators

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:According to a report on SI.com, Florida has been vetting Chip Kelly for their open HC job. It still remains to be seen if there's mutual interest so they may have to look elsewhere, likely Frost or Dan Mullen.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... aching-job
They wouldn't be vetting him if there wasn't mutual interest. I'm going to bet Chip is the new UF coach and soon.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

while it's entirely possible there is mutual interest (i do not know chip kelly) the chipster also has a fairly significant ncaa infraction against him so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities for florida to do a little due diligence on their part before blindly poking around in the dark.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

oregontrack wrote:while it's entirely possible there is mutual interest (i do not know chip kelly) the chipster also has a fairly significant ncaa infraction against him so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities for florida to do a little due diligence on their part before blindly poking around in the dark.
Without taking to time to look that up, morning coffee is more important, I think that was a two year penalty which would be long past. I might be wrong...seems like a two year ban from coaching announced by the NCAA after he left for Philly.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:
oregontrack wrote:while it's entirely possible there is mutual interest (i do not know chip kelly) the chipster also has a fairly significant ncaa infraction against him so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities for florida to do a little due diligence on their part before blindly poking around in the dark.
Without taking to time to look that up, morning coffee is more important, I think that was a two year penalty which would be long past. I might be wrong...seems like a two year ban from coaching announced by the NCAA after he left for Philly.
When I pondered that question a few posters came back saying that the show-cause penalty has expired. I thought it was contingent on him being in college for the clock to count but that was not the case apparently.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
When I pondered that question a few posters came back saying that the show-cause penalty has expired. I thought it was contingent on him being in college for the clock to count but that was not the case apparently.
I am almost positive that he has to be in a college program for the clock to be started. Otherwise there would be no penalty for the coach if he parked himself on a pro team for the duration of the penalty. I could be wrong though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
I am almost positive that he has to be in a college program for the clock to be started. Otherwise there would be no penalty for the coach if he parked himself on a pro team for the duration of the penalty. I could be wrong though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The show-cause penalty starts as soon as it's handed down so it has already expired. Only issue now is that the SEC requires schools to do extra scrutiny of coaches who've had penalties levied against them but even that likely wouldn't stop them from hiring someone like Chip.

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/w ... s-not-much
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I guess I'll have to become a quasi Florida fan if they hire him.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i figured the show-cause penalty WAS expired; my point about screening him was that it's a fairly serious infraction, and his dealings with lyles while at oregon certainly warrants a cursory glance before making inroads.
ImageImageImageImageImage
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

duckduckgoose wrote:
A show cause penalty ends up being a black ball (e.g. Jim Tressel 5 year) for a coach. If they had to return to college before the penalty "clock" started and no university would hire someone with a show cause penalty, the penalty would result effectively in a life-time ban no matter how long the penalty handed down.

USA today cites several examples on various coaches who have received show cause penalty.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... n/9632273/
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DuckNV wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
A show cause penalty ends up being a black ball (e.g. Jim Tressel 5 year) for a coach. If they had to return to college before the penalty "clock" started and no university would hire someone with a show cause penalty, the penalty would result effectively in a life-time ban no matter how long the penalty handed down.

USA today cites several examples on various coaches who have received show cause penalty.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... n/9632273/
Yet the Gators are "vetting" him.