Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Post by duckfan22 »

I liked Chip and will always remember how he got Oregon to the next level.
That being said he left just before sanctions hit. Took awhile to recover. I knew
he was never going to stay at Oregon. Now with him at UCLA his speed up offense
will not be a surprise to anybody. Everyone is doing it and defending against it.
I think he will have success there he's to good of a college coach not to. But as
soon as he butts heads with the athletic dept for more money for new facilities he will
bolt. Just see him still bitter about the pros and stubborn not giving up coaching in the pros.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:I liked Chip and will always remember how he got Oregon to the next level.
That being said he left just before sanctions hit. Took awhile to recover. I knew
he was never going to stay at Oregon. Now with him at UCLA his speed up offense
will not be a surprise to anybody. Everyone is doing it and defending against it.
I think he will have success there he's to good of a college coach not to. But as
soon as he butts heads with the athletic dept for more money for new facilities he will
bolt. Just see him still bitter about the pros and stubborn not giving up coaching in the pros.
UCLA just did a big upgrade to their facilities (finished in August) and the design was by the same group that designed the Hatfield- Dowlin complex.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So many thoughts about this move. My first one is that he choose UCLA for job security reasons. I'm not sure how much of that contract that Jed York will still be paying, but he's paying part of it.

UCLA can get good recruiting classes but it isn't going to recruit itself like SC does or Florida would have given him. He and his staff can change that but just like how people believed that Eugene can't get top classes, believing that he's going to get top classes without putting the work in will be a mirage. Do Bruin fans want Tosh? lol.

All the talk about the conference parity having risen will be put to the test. Next year doesn't look like fun either with a road game in Norman OK and games against Khalil Tate, Justin Herbert, jake browning and Sam Darnold. Chip had the benefit of 2.5 years with the team before taking over as HC. How much of that mystique is going to last if he doesn't get them off to a good start?

Who does he fill out his staff with? GY feels pretty confident that Ryan Day will be a part of the staff and that's probably a good call for one of the offensive positions. Does he give Helfrich or Riley a call as an OC? Matt Harper started in Philly with him, do any of those younger guys like Harper and Peele get a call? Does someone like LMJ try and take up a GA position?

Happy Birthday Chip.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Does Rosen come back? Who does he fill his staff with? You have to think Greatwoodand Azz will probably join him.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Chip finally got to the school he wanted after previously being considered for the job just before he got coach-in-waiting at Oregon. Looks like he chose ease of recruitment and quieter boosters in the Pac-12 versus the SEC. He'll likely be successful down there but I don't think he'll win like he did from 2009-2012 as the conference is in much better shape and there aren't as many pushovers.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

karlhungis wrote:Does Rosen come back? Who does he fill his staff with? You have to think Greatwoodand Azz will probably join him.
Azz yes, Greatwood not so sure. Heard some stories that Greatwood was not fond of Chip. LMJ as a head Asst., that’s a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

srduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:Does Rosen come back? Who does he fill his staff with? You have to think Greatwoodand Azz will probably join him.
Azz yes, Greatwood not so sure. Heard some stories that Greatwood was not fond of Chip. LMJ as a head Asst., that’s a stretch.

Would Nick Aliotti consider coming out of retirement to be DC for Chip again? Aliotti was the DC at UCLA in between stints at Oregon years ago.
John 3:36
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

srduck wrote:

meant LMJ as a grad Asst is s stretch.

Not sure what LMJ does now. Anyone know?

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

srduck wrote:
srduck wrote:

LMJ is an unsigned free agent.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

srduck wrote:
srduck wrote:

Works as a trainer down in TX.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow wrote:
srduck wrote:
srduck wrote:

Works as a trainer down in TX.
Wasn't Willie Lyles a Texas based trainer?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Lyles was more of a scout than trainer. I believe he had friends that he sent kids to train with and he got a kickback or two.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

We will out recruit chip as long as our staff is intact led by Willie.. If/when this staff gets dismantled with guys taking upgrade jobs we will be in trouble.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I do wonder how Chip will affect recruiting this year. Willie made a huge impact early on recruiting by himself but I'm not sure Chip is that type of recruiter. Glad we will sign a few guys early in mid December.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Phenom wrote:I do wonder how Chip will affect recruiting this year. Willie made a huge impact early on recruiting by himself but I'm not sure Chip is that type of recruiter. Glad we will sign a few guys early in mid December.
Sounds like will expects to sign most of his class in December.