Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Chip New UCLA Head Coach

Post by Duck07 »

brich75 wrote:
Phenom wrote:I do wonder how Chip will affect recruiting this year. Willie made a huge impact early on recruiting by himself but I'm not sure Chip is that type of recruiter. Glad we will sign a few guys early in mid December.
Sounds like will expects to sign most of his class in December.
Which will help us continue our work on the next two classes if we pick up ~25 commitments and only a few to wait out. Also, let's not undersell the work the Asst Coaches have done as part of this recruiting class. It seems ALL of the coaches have really nailed it on that end.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

brich75 wrote:We will out recruit chip as long as our staff is intact led by Willie.. If/when this staff gets dismantled with guys taking upgrade jobs we will be in trouble.
I'll bet he gets more 5 stars in his classes, 3 to 6 a class. Supplemented by his "culture guys", 3 and 4 stars that pass his character criteria.

Scott Frost just went undefeated largely with Freshmen and Sophomores he recruited using the Chip like evaluation criteria and 95% were from Florida.

Chip will have a loads of those good student, multisport athlete with competitive siblings in his backyard wanting to stay in Southern Cal and he'll turn on his limited reserve of charm when needed for those 5 stars he wants.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:
brich75 wrote:
Phenom wrote:I do wonder how Chip will affect recruiting this year. Willie made a huge impact early on recruiting by himself but I'm not sure Chip is that type of recruiter. Glad we will sign a few guys early in mid December.
Sounds like will expects to sign most of his class in December.
Which will help us continue our work on the next two classes if we pick up ~25 commitments and only a few to wait out. Also, let's not undersell the work the Asst Coaches have done as part of this recruiting class. It seems ALL of the coaches have really nailed it on that end.
I was referring to Taggart last year when he was out on the recruiting trail by himself for about a month.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote: I was referring to Taggart last year when he was out on the recruiting trail by himself for about a month.
Gotcha. One thing Willy also had going for him was already being involved in that year's recruiting class and knowing who the players were. If Chip hasn't already been familiarizing himself with this class and next year's it will make it even more important for him to get a recruiting ace on staff.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

OK so let's say Frost goes to Nebraska and Taggart goes to Florida. Do the PKs reach into their wallets and pull out $17m each to pay Kelly's $9m buyout and enrich the contract he signed with UCLA. Knight gets his buddy back and gets to punk Adidas at the same time.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:Chip in L.A. where he doesn't have to go on a million recruiting trips. Great.

I'm just going to tell myself that he is biding his time until the ducks job comes open again, and setting up ties in L.A. for recruiting purposes.
Solid strategy. His wins will be done for our future. Our wins for our present. May I join your club?

And to anyone throwing shade at this, my fingers are in my ears and I'm singing NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH I CANT HEAR YOU NAH NAH NAH. (Grandkids came down for a holiday visit.)
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
brich75 wrote:We will out recruit chip as long as our staff is intact led by Willie.. If/when this staff gets dismantled with guys taking upgrade jobs we will be in trouble.
I'll bet he gets more 5 stars in his classes, 3 to 6 a class. Supplemented by his "culture guys", 3 and 4 stars that pass his character criteria.

Scott Frost just went undefeated largely with Freshmen and Sophomores he recruited using the Chip like evaluation criteria and 95% were from Florida.

Chip will have a loads of those good student, multisport athlete with competitive siblings in his backyard wanting to stay in Southern Cal and he'll turn on his limited reserve of charm when needed for those 5 stars he wants.
If he gets 6 5* a class then everyone is in big trouble including Alabama. I still think we will sign better classes with this staff intact. If Chip is out sign multiple 5*s all we can hope for is he bolts to be NFL after a few seasons.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

4 or 6 5*s? That's wild.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phenom wrote:4 or 6 5*s? That's wild.
It is. I'll backtrack on the number and just say, I think Chip will regularly be at the top of the conference in 5 stars.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

Goin to be interesting next season vs UCLA, both teams will get a lot of national tv exposure by the time they play each other. I wish nothing but the best for Chip Kelly.

How funny will it be for the next few years with UCLA win the South and Oregon get back to win the north then meet for pc 12 championship game. Take my money!
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I can't root for him at UCLA. He left us during the height of the program in 2012 after the Fiesta Bowl (and nearly the year before) for the NFL. It has been reported that he turned us down to return last year. And now he's returning in conference? Hell nah.

At Florida? Sure. But this feels pretty shitty to me. I know it is his life and he has every right in the world to make the decisions he's made. As a die-hard Duck fan, I'll always be thankful for the way he elevated the program but this just isn't sitting right with me.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I'm personally more worried about losing Willie than chip at UCLA. What Chip did at Oregon was unknown and nobody did it for some time. Now tons of coaches and teams have seen it for years. However Chip is a freak offensive mind so it may not matter that coaches have seen it.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

DmoneyDuck wrote:I can't root for him at UCLA. He left us during the height of the program in 2012 after the Fiesta Bowl (and nearly the year before) for the NFL. It has been reported that he turned us down to return last year. And now he's returning in conference? Hell nah.

At Florida? Sure. But this feels pretty shitty to me. I know it is his life and he has every right in the world to make the decisions he's made. As a die-hard Duck fan, I'll always be thankful for the way he elevated the program but this just isn't sitting right with me.
Weird, the way I hear it is he was coming back, had agreed to terms but wanted to finish up the season with the 49er’s. Oregon is the one who didn’t want to wait because of recruiting reasons, and went with WT. just like Chip could of left Oregon before the Fiesta Bowl but wouldn’t even take calls until after the game.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I never minded UCLA.. I always have hated USC and when I was a kid it was either USC or UCLA or UW winning the Pac 10 or Pac 8. UCLA probably because liked their colors and not as arrogant as the other two would be the one cheer for between those three. Oregon was never in the conversation.

Chip Kelly elevated the program to a consistent contender for the Pac 12 and forever changed the culture at Oregon. The conference has changed because of him largely. The whole landscape of football has changed because of what he did at Oregon. He is still a genius when it comes to play calling and that is scary with the talent will be able to get at UCLA.

I will not cheer for him per se. I will against USC and UW but I have always cheered for UCLA in those games. I will always respect what he did while at Oregon and the change of culture he brought to the program. Will never cheer for him when they play Oregon though.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

brich75 wrote:I'm personally more worried about losing Willie than chip at UCLA. What Chip did at Oregon was unknown and nobody did it for some time. Now tons of coaches and teams have seen it for years. However Chip is a freak offensive mind so it may not matter that coaches have seen it.
I'm with you about Willie, Chip was phenomenal, but the potential that Willie has instilled, with an emphasis on sustaining it with recruiting, is hard to imagine after things looked so bleak just a season ago.