Frost to Nebraska

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Frost to Nebraska

Post by greenyellow »

Being reported during the Memphis-UCF game by ESPN that Frost will be Nebraska's new HC. Not really a surprise but sort of an odd time to break that kind of news.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Frost to Nebraska

Post by Phalanx »

I feel sorry for UCF, having such a great season end negatively. Of course, they couldn't possibly have waited until after the bowl game to do all of this.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:I feel sorry for UCF, having such a great season end negatively. Of course, they couldn't possibly have waited until after the bowl game to do all of this.
No way they're waiting until after the bowl game, which is likely the Peach Bowl on January 1st.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

It's pretty standard to not wait until after the bowl game because there's too little time before signing day to put together a class. Tough for UCF but that's part of finding success as a small conference school.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Tray Dub wrote:It's pretty standard to not wait until after the bowl game because there's too little time before signing day to put together a class. Tough for UCF but that's part of finding success as a small conference school.
I love hearing how 'standard' it is to screw teams over. It's fine to steal a coach right before their best bowl game in school history. It's Standard! It's okay if Willie leaves the ducks holding the bag after one year and before a full recruiting cycle is consummated...totally standard. It's fine if they all lie to the recruits. Standard stuff, get with the times. Whatever, I can still mourn the loss of integrity.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:It's pretty standard to not wait until after the bowl game because there's too little time before signing day to put together a class. Tough for UCF but that's part of finding success as a small conference school.
I love hearing how 'standard' it is to screw teams over. It's fine to steal a coach right before their best bowl game in school history. It's Standard! It's okay if Willie leaves the ducks holding the bag after one year and before a full recruiting cycle is consummated...totally standard. It's fine if they all lie to the recruits. Standard stuff, get with the times. Whatever, I can still mourn the loss of integrity.
It's not really a new thing to have a coach leave before the bowl game as that's just how the timeline for all college teams works. There's really never a good time for a coach to leave so I don't see what the big complaint is.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Phalanx wrote:
Assuming Nebraska would not have let Frost postpone his decision until after their bowl game in January, do you think he had a moral obligation to pass on the job?

More broadly: let's say you were recently hired by a company you liked. They took a chance on you, they put resources into helping you be successful, and you know if you left it'd screw them. But you're offered a job that you like a lot more. It's better pay, it's closer to your extended family, and it's a step up in your industry. You know that if you turn this offer down, you might get another good job offer again soon, but you might not. You very likely won't get an offer from that specific company for a long time to come, if ever. What do you do? Are you a bad person if you take the job offer?

And to be clear, I'm genuinely asking. I feel like this is a tricky moral question, and I can see both sides. So I'm open to considering your opinion.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Phalanx A+ post

Integrity is a common casualty.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
It's not really a new thing to have a coach leave before the bowl game as that's just how the timeline for all college teams works. There's really never a good time for a coach to leave so I don't see what the big complaint is.
Did I say it was a new thing? What possible relevance does that comment have to do with my point? You're just rephrasing the 'It's Standard' argument. I get it.

Chip Kelly said that he wouldn't leave the 49ers for Oregon because he still had a job. So at least he stayed in San Francisco under the pretense of having something like integrity.

There actually is a good time for a coach to leave. After the season is done. No, that isn't as good for the new team, but the new team should wait if they want the old team's coach. That would be the polite, decent thing to do, and then, if they were decent like that, it would revisit them when they lost their coach. Instead, we get incredible selfishness, and screw the old team. I'm just feeling sorry for UCF because they had an awesome year. You don't have to get the complaint. It's cool.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I get the complaint but it's just too pie-in-the-sky thinking without taking into consideration the needs of the program hiring a new coach. The time crunch of the bowl season, the end of recruiting, and what it takes to get a new coaching staff in place make it an unfortunate necessity for programs to require coaches to start immediately.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's official:
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
While I agree with you about integrity, I much prefer them to leave before the signing period then after. I hate to see kids who commit to a coaching staff and then are stuck at a school. I really think all transfer penalties should be null and void if a coach leaves before you've ever played a game for them.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

UCF announced Frost will coach the bowl game.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

maxduck wrote:UCF announced Frost will coach the bowl game.

Good for them. Apparently, not quite as pie-in-the-sky as previously thought. They appear to have found a compromise that allows Frost to begin work with Nebraska while also coaching the bowl game in some capacity.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

greenyellow wrote:It's official:
Might wear red shoes, but this aint Kansas, Dorothy!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!