WTF did Helf not see in Tagovailoa?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

WTF did Helf not see in Tagovailoa?

Post by Everythingsducky »

Dude comes in and marches Bama down to a TD on his second series. Guy throws a great bomb, and all of his passes are on a rope, perfect spirals, elusive, fast, escapability...Don’t understand how he didn’t give the guy a sniff, when he could have been all UO. Huge, HUGE miss on his part. Don’t mean to be a hater, but this looks just plain stupid.
greenyellow

Re: WTF did Helf not see in Tagovailoa?

Post by greenyellow »

It really was. That should have been a slam dunk commitment there but instead, Helf stuck dogmatically to his stupid 12-point recruitment system and wound up with nothing.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Don't know but watching the coaches film room version of this game is way more entertaining. Can't believe i waited this long to try it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Helf destroyed the pipeline Marcus Mariota gifted us.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Like I said in the other thread, Scott Frost had Ryan Kelley as QB1 and got his commitment (ultimately flipped to ASU). This wasn’t Helf’s f*** up other than he let his position coach go get his guy.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

StevensTechU wrote:Like I said in the other thread, Scott Frost had Ryan Kelley as QB1 and got his commitment (ultimately flipped to ASU). This wasn’t Helf’s f*** up other than he let his position coach go get his guy.

So yeah, it was his f*** up.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sure, you can feel that way. But understand that coaches, including Cristobal, are often praised for letting their staff ‘go get their guys.’

I just don’t understand how this thread made no mention at all about how his position coach didn’t have him among his top prospects when that was what caused Oregon to “slow play” and ultimately lose tua.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The buck stops with the head coach, particularly when you are a head coach that specializes in quarterbacks. There is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately Helf deserves every bit of criticism he receives on this topic.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

gogreen55 wrote:The buck stops with the head coach, particularly when you are a head coach that specializes in quarterbacks. There is plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately Helf deserves every bit of criticism he receives on this topic.
Fair stance to have. But he’s also the guy who offered Manziel and Mariota when it was his position to recruit.

I’m all for criticizing people who deserve it. Just make sure you know the facts so you know who deserves the blame.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

StevensTechU wrote:Like I said in the other thread, Scott Frost had Ryan Kelley as QB1 and got his commitment (ultimately flipped to ASU). This wasn’t Helf’s f*** up other than he let his position coach go get his guy.
Wasn't there still plenty of time after Frost left? Tua still was a couple of months ahead of all the camps and The Opening that made him the number 1 quarterback recruit. When did Kelley de-commit?

Edit: Kelley left Oregon at the beginning of May. So the Ducks probably suspected they were losing him sometime in February. Long after Frost was gone. Honestly, I think Helf just didn't want to deal with Tua and his helicopter overbearing father.
Last edited by Groundswell on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Groundswell wrote:
Wasn't there still plenty of time after Frost left? Tua still was a couple of months ahead of all the camps and The Opening that made him the number 1 quarterback recruit. When did Kelley decommit?
Frost left in December of 2015; Tua committed on May 2, 2016; Kelley decommitted May 3, 2016 and then committed to ASU 3 days later. Oregon didn't offer Tua until June 11th.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

greenyellow wrote:
Groundswell wrote:
Wasn't there still plenty of time after Frost left? Tua still was a couple of months ahead of all the camps and The Opening that made him the number 1 quarterback recruit. When did Kelley decommit?
Frost left in December of 2015; Tua committed on May 2, 2016; Kelley decommitted May 3, 2016 and then committed to ASU 3 days later. Oregon didn't offer Tua until June 11th.
Ah, thanks. That's right. I remember people speculating that Tua committed to Bama because Kelley was de-committing. I'm sure that's bunk. But people thought that. Yeah, we had to be in on Tua probably the summer before. He might have committed even with Kelley committed.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:Fair stance to have. But he’s also the guy who offered Manziel and Mariota when it was his position to recruit.
Yeah, and Helf has often been given his share of the credit for that. Just like Chip gets credit for green lighting the offer to Mariota, since it is ultimately Chip's decision. If Chip had delayed the decision to offer Mariota since he (or Helfrich) preferred Manziel, and that resulted in Mariota choosing the Huskies, then Chip would have deserved his share of the blame for that. This isn't rocket science....the head coach makes the ultimate decision, thus they get their share of praise when they make the right call, and their share of blame when the ball is dropped. Helfrich screwed up in this case, period.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Well Tua made the right choice. Played in a championship game and won.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

It was f'ed up what ESPN did to Hurts after the game. Why would you interview him? He handled it extremely well, though. Wouldn't mind him transferring here, TBH.