Maryland

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Maryland

Post by maxduck »

ESPN report on the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair and the general culture at Maryland. What is wrong with these people?

ESPN reported Friday that the workout in which McNair participated began at 4:15 p.m. on May 29, and he and other linemen were near the end of their sprint set when McNair started having difficulties, according to multiple sources. McNair family attorney Billy Murphy told ESPN on Thursday that McNair had a seizure at about 5 p.m., following a sprint.

"Our reading of the medical records and the 911 call Maryland made to the EMT to come to the field reveal that 45 minutes into the practice, he had convulsions and a seizure on the field," Murphy said, "and the 911 call reflects emergency personnel noted McNair had experienced a seizure."

A 911 call recording obtained by ESPN shows that at 5:58 p.m., an unidentified man described McNair as "hyperventilating after exercising and unable to control his breath."

Murphy called the one-hour time gap between McNair showing distress at about 5 p.m. and the 911 call being made "an utter disregard of the health of this player, and we are extraordinarily concerned that the coaches did not react appropriately to his injury."

McNair died at Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore on June 13.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -dj-durkin
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Maryland

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

The whole article is pretty damning. What an absolute mess. There’s a difference between pushing and demeaning. It seems like Cristobal is the kind of guy that gets it, but my insight is limited to what I’m “supposed to” see.

I wonder how this affects UnderArmour since they are synonymous with MD the same way Nike is with UO. If I’m Nike I would start randomly attending UO practices (all sports) as incognito as possible. Gotta protect the brand.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Based on everything that's been said, Oregon's new program direction is nowhere near the realm of what Maryland is doing. The coaches and S&C staff are demanding but are using everything at their disposal to make sure their players' health is not being compromised by the intense training. I can't remember which interview it was this week but Cristobal was saying they've told players who've gone a bit too hard to pull back and take a couple reps off because their tracking data was showing signs of fatigue. That's what a good coach staff and scientific performance team does.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

greenyellow wrote:Based on everything that's been said, Oregon's new program direction is nowhere near the realm of what Maryland is doing. The coaches and S&C staff are demanding but are using everything at their disposal to make sure their players' health is not being compromised by the intense training. I can't remember which interview it was this week but Cristobal was saying they've told players who've gone a bit too hard to pull back and take a couple reps off because their tracking data was showing signs of fatigue. That's what a good coach staff and scientific performance team does.
Awesome to hear! Thanks GW!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Based on everything that's been said, Oregon's new program direction is nowhere near the realm of what Maryland is doing. The coaches and S&C staff are demanding but are using everything at their disposal to make sure their players' health is not being compromised by the intense training. I can't remember which interview it was this week but Cristobal was saying they've told players who've gone a bit too hard to pull back and take a couple reps off because their tracking data was showing signs of fatigue. That's what a good coach staff and scientific performance team does.
Awesome to hear! Thanks GW!
Yes! I will be the first it....... a year ago Willie and crew sent three to the hospital....... this is ridiculous, children shouldn't die for football...... liking Mario a ton so far.