2018 NBA Draft

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: 2018 NBA Draft

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:need some time in the G-League before contributing.
1st in the division last season and Olshey continues to draft for the wrong league.... smh
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

From his press conference, Olshey was looking at trading the 24th pick and their traded player exception but couldn't find a deal for a veteran that moved the needle. They opted to take the person they feel has the highest ceiling instead.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck24 wrote:Brandon McCoy went undradted. Yikes. Always crazy to look at the list of undrafted undergrads who were given bad advice. Below is a partial list of guys from this year. Some of guys are top of their class recruits. I believe Duval from Duke was consensus top 5 player in the 2017 class.
But Welsh gets picked.....LOL.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck24 wrote:Brandon McCoy went undradted. Yikes. Always crazy to look at the list of undrafted undergrads who were given bad advice. Below is a partial list of guys from this year. Some of guys are top of their class recruits. I believe Duval from Duke was consensus top 5 player in the 2017 class.
Ouch, two Arizona guys.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Blazers just got Gary Trent Jr from SAC for two future 2nd round picks. He's a likely 3&D guy that replaces Connaughton should he leave.
Sounds more like a 3-and-D minus the D.

I don't hate the pick, I just wish they didn't have to keep trading two picks to get one guy. I have a feeling those picks they traded are going to be higher than Olshey thinks. Especially if they can't re-sign Nurk.

They could have picked Trent with #24, so all in all it wasn't a horrible draft (like last year was). Hard to do much with pick 24 anyway. Seems like they are loading up at the wrong position, but maybe a trade will even things out.
Yeah it'll be nice to have a shooter on the outside, but if he can't play D, meh. Need someone who can help us guard the Jrue Holidays of the world.

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Yeah it'll be nice to have a shooter on the outside, but if he can't play D, meh. Need someone who can help us guard the Jrue Holidays of the world.
Isn't that sad, though? I mean, the Blazers are paying two guards max money, and neither of them can guard Holiday or anyone at that level. Something just seems very wrong with that.

Interesting that Oregon's players that all came out early last year got drafted, and this year Brown gets #15, while a couple of Arizona guys get passed over. Are the winds starting to blow in a northerly direction on the west coast? Once in awhile, it's nice to stop and realize what an outstanding hire Altman was.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Isn't that sad, though? I mean, the Blazers are paying two guards max money, and neither of them can guard Holiday or anyone at that level. Something just seems very wrong with that.

Interesting that Oregon's players that all came out early last year got drafted, and this year Brown gets #15, while a couple of Arizona guys get passed over. Are the winds starting to blow in a northerly direction on the west coast? Once in awhile, it's nice to stop and realize what an outstanding hire Altman was.
Brown's upside/age is a deadly combo. Plus his length and versatility make him a huge plus, especially on defense.

Worst case scenario, you get a guy who can play a bunch of positions and give you great effort on defense.

Whereas Trier is all maxed out on potential. He's not going to get better. And Alkins relies a lot on his bulky build and his athleticism. In terms of raw talent, it's not there. He could also be a guy that could play solid D for you though.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

But yes, that is sad. Lillard, especially, is an incredible liability on defense.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

It's funny, I hated the hire and I'm sure many here remember it. So I take every chance I get to eat crow, he truly was an amazing hire and has done more with this program than I ever thought possible.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pudgejeff wrote:It's funny, I hated the hire and I'm sure many here remember it. So I take every chance I get to eat crow, he truly was an amazing hire and has done more with this program than I ever thought possible.
I'm still positive you're Marcus Kent. :mrgreen: :lol: