Husky logic?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Husky logic?

Post by Merganzer »

I was watching "Rip City Mornings" with Dan Shelton, and former Husky, Nigel Burton, and a story was brought up about a computer system that found Utah, after beating Alabama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl, and last season's UCF, were National Champions. Burton thought that these titles were ridiculous. When asked about Washington's shared '91 "Championship", he said the Huskies earned theirs because 2 years later Washington beat Miami...Huh? What a team did in '93 legitimizes its accomplishment in '91?
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Re: Husky logic?

Post by DuckNV »

This is no different than the statements during the years that Husky's were losing 12 times in a row. They claimed they were the better team because of their National Championship from 20+ years past. I always loved hearing them talk about how they were beat 12 times in a row by a terrible football team. Makes me think that the Logic courses at UW need to be overhauled.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The HL that is really bugging me lately is when my Husky cousins keep barking "70-21" , as though during the streak, the Ducks couldn't have punched 70 numerous times, but purposely did not.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

So does that mean we can replace our 2016 season with our 2014 season?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Yes, they suck like no other. That said, I hope they beat Auburn. That's for the sake of the conference and nothing else. Say an 11-1 UW team is trying to make the playoff and their only loss was to a 9-3 or 10-2 Auburn team that wasn't even the SEC champ. That would likely sink the conference's chances of getting back to the playoffs.

There'll be some good teams in the Pac-12 this year but they'll all likely beat each other up. I think UW has the best chance to pull it off, but we'll see.

Oh, another thing. We need UW to be ranked as high as possible so if we can beat both them and Stanford at home the conference, and national races, would be wide open.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Husky Logic. Similar to other ironic fallacies like Muffler Bearings, Double Shafted Sinkers, Sky Hooks, Jeramy Stevens Date Rape Awareness Camp, Billy Jo Hobert School of Sobriety and my favorite, I Can't Believe I Let Some Nerd Named Gates Steal My OS!
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

SuperDuck wrote:Yes, they suck like no other. That said, I hope they beat Auburn. That's for the sake of the conference and nothing else.
There is no way in hell I will be watching this game and be rooting for the Huskies in any way, shape or form. The team I root for will have absolutely no impact on the game anyway, so it doesn't really matter. If the Huskies do win, I will try to view it from a glass half full perspective for some of the reasons you hit on. But yeah...seeing the Huskies get absolutely curb stomped would do nothing but put a smile on my face.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

HL... sounds like the ultimate definition of "oxymoron". :-)
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I care far more about the Ducks than I do about our conference. It is in the best interest of the Ducks to see the Huskies be a poor team, for this season and for seasons down the line. If they lose, it hurts their perception with recruits as well and they will receive less media attention.
On the flip side, if they go 12-0 and make the playoffs, sure the University of Oregon will receive a small payout, but UW will get so much: media coverage, recruiting attention and national respect that will far outweigh an additional 5 million dollars for the University.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I care far more about the Ducks than I do about our conference. It is in the best interest of the Ducks to see the Huskies be a poor team, for this season and for seasons down the line. If they lose, it hurts their perception with recruits as well and they will receive less media attention.
On the flip side, if they go 12-0 and make the playoffs, sure the University of Oregon will receive a small payout, but UW will get so much: media coverage, recruiting attention and national respect that will far outweigh an additional 5 million dollars for the University.
ICAM with you and goGreen55. It's just not possible for me to cheer to any perceptible level for Washington. Huck the Fuskies!!!!!
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

One of the sports talk shows had Phyllis on this morning. Shes the one famous for calling Finebaum and yelling War Damned Eagle. Wish I could have heard it all, shes way off her rocker.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I'm completely in line with the strong anti-UW sentiment in this thread. To lukeyrid's very well-stated post I would just add that if -- some how, some way -- the Ducks were real close to gaining a CFP birth this year but just miss out due to the perception that the conference is weak, in large part due to UW losing to Auburn this week -- well . . . OH WELL. We should be completely ecstatic to be in such a position to begin with and we'd just have to cry about being in a top-tier bowl game with our program completely turned around for the good.

It's really hard for me to imagine ever rooting for UW football against any program you can name, whether it be Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, tOSU, FSU (that's slightly closer for the time being), etc.* The longer UW is considered a top 10 team nationally, the more it very likely hurts Oregon.

*I suppose one scenario where I could imagine rooting for UW is if they were having a bad to mediocre year and they rose up to beat some team whose losing helps the Ducks win the North or something.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Greenblood wrote: *I suppose one scenario where I could imagine rooting for UW is if they were having a bad to mediocre year and they rose up to beat some team whose losing helps the Ducks win the North or something.
This is the caveat: If somehow Washington beating Stanford helped the Ducks then hoping that Washington won would be acceptable, because even then the ultimate result would be Stanford losing, and Washington winning simply facilitated that.