Jalen Hurts To Redshirt This Season

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Per Paul Finnebaum's staff:

"Alabama’s too-many-quarterbacks problem has seemingly been solved. Per Pat Smith of “The Paul Finebaum Show” and Aaron Suttles of The Athletic, Hurts will reportedly redshirt the 2018 season."

That's unless Tua gets hurt.

That has the wheels turning in my head. Any chance he may become a Duck next season? Odds are against Herbert returning and unless a MAJOR transformation happens, I can't see BB being the best option at QB. He might transfer if Hurts was brought in OR he may take a "much needed" redshirt season and then battle it out with Tyler Shough in 2020.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Re: Jalen Hurts To Redshirt This Season

Post by Duck07 »

Saban is doing the right thing. Jalen will obviously be an emergency QB and that's why Saban kept them "equal" but this means Jalen is transferring in the off-season and by not playing him unless Tua does get hurt, it will preserve a year of playing for him wherever he goes.

I think the coaches will have a really good idea about Shough by the end of the season when recruiting will pick up again.

One thing we never ponder in the Tua what-if game is in relation to Justin. Though I suppose with his injury mid-season last year it's kind of moot because then Tua might be in Jalen's shoes albeit with Justin likely the 1st QB selected next year. (It's a lot of guaranteed money for Justin pass up to play with his brother when he can just buy him a truck and tell him to meet him in the league)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:Saban is doing the right thing. Jalen will obviously be an emergency QB and that's why Saban kept them "equal" but this means Jalen is transferring in the off-season and by not playing him unless Tua does get hurt, it will preserve a year of playing for him wherever he goes.

I think the coaches will have a really good idea about Shough by the end of the season when recruiting will pick up again.

One thing we never ponder in the Tua what-if game is in relation to Justin. Though I suppose with his injury mid-season last year it's kind of moot because then Tua might be in Jalen's shoes albeit with Justin likely the 1st QB selected next year. (It's a lot of guaranteed money for Justin pass up to play with his brother when he can just buy him a truck and tell him to meet him in the league)
It doesn't really save him any eligibility since he'd still have to sit out a year should he transfer to another FBS school, unless he somehow becomes a grad transfer.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Several articles say Hurts is scheduled to graduate in December so he would have two years eligibility.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Personally, don't want him. He has a noodle for an arm and is run first, pass second.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

TualatinDuck wrote:Personally, don't want him. He has a noodle for an arm and is run first, pass second.
I disagree. He has decent arm strength, though he's not as accurate as Tua, Herbert, etc. Still, he'll still be coached up the rest of this season and would have plenty of time with the Oregon staff to help him, too.

One thing he does have is a LOT of big game experience, and I'd take that over BB or Shough, at least at this point.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'd prefer for Herbert to stay his senior year, but assuming he leaves early; Hurts would probably be our best option and I'd gladly take him.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Hurt's reminds me a lot of Masoli on the field. He has hot and cold moments but excels when you let him be mobile. He seems to fit into the Oregon offense well he can run and he's got a good arm that can sling it deep. He's not that accurate on short and intermediate passes but there aren't a lot if any in the playbook. I'd prefer a battle between BB and Shough but you never know.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’d pass on him. He’s a great athlete playing QB. Shough and Millen are true QBs with more true passer upside. Let’s invest time in them, or whoever other stud QB recruit we land.

Hurt would feel like another bandaid QB to me.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UofDuck wrote:I’d pass on him. He’s a great athlete playing QB. Slaugh and Millen are true QBs with more true passer upside. Let’s invest time in them, or whoever other stud QB recruit we land.

Band-Aids come in pretty handy when you're bleeding. I'd much rather have Hurts than go through another 1-4 Burmeister scenario. If he came in we'd at least have 1-2 guys to develop while still maintaining continuity at the position.

The Ducks should be good, and possibly VERY good in the next 1-2 years, but not having a decent QB could wreck everything. It could also have a negative effect on recruiting. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

SuperDuck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I’d pass on him. He’s a great athlete playing QB. Slaugh and Millen are true QBs with more true passer upside. Let’s invest time in them, or whoever other stud QB recruit we land.

Band-Aids come in pretty handy when you're bleeding. I'd much rather have Hurts than go through another 1-4 Burmeister scenario. If he came in we'd at least have 1-2 guys to develop while still maintaining continuity at the position.

The Ducks should be good, and possibly VERY good in the next 1-2 years, but not having a decent QB could wreck everything. It could also have a negative effect on recruiting. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Right, Imagine if we didn't have Vernon Adams in 2015. He was worth 4-5 wins alone that season. Look at what happened in 2016 without him.

It's fairly clear that BB just isn't a Pac12 level QB. We are hoping that Shough is, but Hurts has shown an ability to be a really good QB. He wouldn't be a Heisman front runner, but he would be very good and almost assuredly better and more reliable than Shough who is a complete unknown.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

If getting Hurts is a possibility then we need to get him. It’s an insurance we can’t do without
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I wonder if Helf’s reliance on transfers hurt our recruiting image. If I was a young guy who saw a chance for playing time, would I be put off by a reputation of transfers? I think so.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UofDuck wrote:I wonder if Helf’s reliance on transfers hurt our recruiting image. If I was a young guy who saw a chance for playing time, would I be put off by a reputation of transfers? I think so.
I think Oregon not developing QBs after Marcus didn't help them either.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

But that ^ feeds my narrative, one and done QB transfers stall young QB development. The key is being good talent evaluators and then coach um up. If Shough or Millen are legit potential, I’d pass on Hurt.