Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Ya I hope there's more to this, because nothing special about Hood except his outside shooting. But I'd argue Stauskas, Curry and Layman were plenty bench shooters.
He's also a decent driver and midrange shooter, something the Blazers doesn't really have coming off the bench.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

If anyone is interested, we run a basketball sim league on this board. (http://www.ducksattack.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22)

We have several opening if you would like to try your hands at being a GM against other human GMs. The league has been around for over 5 years now and still contains many duck fans. If you have any questions, let me know.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Layman has another monster game in the loss to Miami: 25 points, 8 rebounds. Credit to Olshey for re-signing him this year. It's nice to see him and Leonard making the bench a little more formidable.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Olshey is awful
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Seeing Mirotic go to the Bucks for next to nothing is frustrating to watch. That said, that’s gonna win it all for the blazers anyway.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

legit apologize to anyone i've ever argued w/ defending olshey. i try to be somewhat optimistic but he's broken me. i am broken.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Absolutely nothing got done, mainly because they have very little actual assets teams want and Olshey is clinging to all his first-round draft picks. From the 2017 NBA Draft, they only have Collins and Labissiere to show for after having 3 first rounders that year.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:legit apologize to anyone i've ever argued w/ defending olshey. i try to be somewhat optimistic but he's broken me. i am broken.
I don't know whether to accept your apology or question its timing. You have just now soured on Olshey because he traded Swanigan for a guy who also sucks, but at least has the height and length to play in the frontcourt and maybe block a few shots? Or maybe you saw a much bigger trade coming where the Blazers dumped some of their trash and got back a diamond?

It feels like the time to mourn the 2017 draft was in 2017. This trade deadline activity was probably a net positive for the Blazers, or at least switching out a few players who never played raises the possibility of unearthing another team's undiscovered talent.

The Mirotic thing was never going to happen. The dude makes $12.5 million, and the Blazers couldn't take on more salary, which is what the Pelicans were looking for - a salary dump. Renting him for a few months was not worth a first-round pick. Keeping first-rounders is how a team gets out of salary cap hell.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

today wasn't a straw that broke the camel's back moment. i'm just growing further and further disillusioned to the point i hardly post in this thread anymore.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:today wasn't a straw that broke the camel's back moment. i'm just growing further and further disillusioned to the point i hardly post in this thread anymore.
Well, having bottomed out myself a few years ago, it feels like there is nowhere to go but up. Given that reality, there have been a few positives recently. Leonard is at least contributing, and Layman is looking downright useful. Hood is about to join the mix and possibly provide scoring that has been lacking at the 3, at least until Layman's recent tear (At least some of Jake's minutes of late have been at the 4, so he might actually be able to play alongside Hood sometimes). I think the product on the court is at least slightly improving. I find myself actually hoping they are competitive in the first round of the playoffs this year.

Don't get me wrong - I still don't have any faith that Olshey is going to improve his contract negotiating skills. The only reason he did okay with Nurkic is because of the luxury tax. Also, I have no idea what the plan is with the tax this year, unless they are just planning to pay it. With Paul Allen gone, maybe Olshey felt like he didn't have to lower salary. So I guess one has to temper one's optimism. Somehow, I have never had a problem doing this. :lol:
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

hood had a very efficient first game, that was great to see.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If you listen to shows like the Dunc’d on podcast, they opine that Portland was offering their first with Leonard and or Harkless and teams just valued expirings exponentially more. So I bet we bid on mirotic but pelicans just didn’t want the extra salary. You can blame olshey for the crappy contracts but all the in the know sources said Portland was heavily shoppin their pick but there were no takers.
Last edited by lukeyrid13 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If you listen to shows like the Dunc’d on podcast, they opine that Portland was offering their first with Leonard and or Harkless and teams just valued expirings exponentially more. So I bet we bid on mirotic but pelicans just didn’t want the extra salary. You can blame planet for the crappy contracts but all the in the know sources said Portland was heavily shoppin their pick but there were no takers.
I was reading some stuff this morning saying exactly that. Teams with attractive assets were trying to dump salary more than actually trade to make themselves better this season. That left Portland out in the cold a bit since they don't have many expiring contracts. It does appear Portland will look to the buyout market to potentially fill their last roster spot, looking either for more bench scoring or more post depth.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2019/2/8/18 ... -ellington
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If you listen to shows like the Dunc’d on podcast, they opine that Portland was offering their first with Leonard and or Harkless and teams just valued expirings exponentially more. So I bet we bid on mirotic but pelicans just didn’t want the extra salary. You can blame planet for the crappy contracts but all the in the know sources said Portland was heavily shoppin their pick but there were no takers.
Leonard is below replacement level with a horrible contract. Blazers would/should have added Zach Collins in trade talks.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

two triple-doubles in the game last night!

unfortunately a blazer didn't get either of them.