Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by Phalanx »

I think George's point was that if he is guarding someone smaller and quicker, a shot from 37 feet has to be acceptable - it can't really be prevented. It's a 'bad shot' that you let someone take rather than a high-percentage shot. Like he said, if the guy makes the shot, you have to live with that, but at least you didn't let him in for a lay-up.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I was a terrible choice of shot! For 98% of nba players, Dame just happens to be in the 2% who can hit it with some consistency....... making it great shot, a cold blooded dagger to end it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:I was a terrible choice of shot! For 98% of nba players, Dame just happens to be in the 2% who can hit it with some consistency....... making it great shot, a cold blooded dagger to end it.
What’s crazy is 98% might be an understatement. Only 3 guys - Steph Curry, Lillard, and perhals Trae Young - is it a good look for. That’s under 1% of the league!

And I think Phalanx is being generous in his interpretation, haha. PG said it was a bad shot. Not a low percentage shot, not the shot he forced Lillard to take, but a bad shot. And for that he is wrong.

Lillard said post game that he felt like he wasn’t getting calls all night and thought that there was no way the refs would call a foul if he went to the basket and drew contact. One might say that his 44% shooting from long range is better than the odds of making a layup while getting mugged. That was his logic, at least
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
Alan wrote:I was a terrible choice of shot! For 98% of nba players, Dame just happens to be in the 2% who can hit it with some consistency....... making it great shot, a cold blooded dagger to end it.[/quote

What’s crazy is 98% might be an understatement. Only 3 guys - Steph Curry, Lillard, and perhals Trae Young - is it a good look for. That’s under 1% of the league!
Yeah I was just about to post the same thing. 420 players in the league and those 3 are the only ones above average and even then Dame and Curry are still about 3-4% points higher because of the volume of shots that Young takes. This year and playoffs Dame is now at 44% from 30-40 feet and he hit that shot twice in the 2nd half alone.

Dame from that distance is better than Paul George at the 3pt line this season.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

In other NBA action, I want to say that teams leading 3-1 playing Game 5 at Home were 165-3 before the Warriors game last night which would mean that this current iteration of the Warriors has lost 2 of those 4 games in NBA history.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Who do you want to play? Denver or San Antonio? Personally I prefer the Nuggets. San Antonio has been there before, historically, and Pop can game plan with the best of them. Denver is seeded higher of course but I'd rather take my chances against a team that hasn't been playoff battle tested and proven over the recent years.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Our guards' inability to play defense always makes Jamal Murray look like Kobe Bryant, so I'd rather play San Antonio. I don't see White locking down Dame.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

StevensTechU wrote:Our guards' inability to play defense always makes Jamal Murray look like Kobe Bryant, so I'd rather play San Antonio. I don't see White locking down Dame.
Yeah that is a good point, you may have already changed my mind.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

mrpd21 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Our guards' inability to play defense always makes Jamal Murray look like Kobe Bryant, so I'd rather play San Antonio. I don't see White locking down Dame.
Yeah that is a good point, you may have already changed my mind.
Give me home court with this team.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

100% San Antonio. Homecourt.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:And I think Phalanx is being generous in his interpretation, haha. PG said it was a bad shot. Not a low percentage shot, not the shot he forced Lillard to take, but a bad shot. And for that he is wrong.

Lillard said post game that he felt like he wasn’t getting calls all night and thought that there was no way the refs would call a foul if he went to the basket and drew contact. One might say that his 44% shooting from long range is better than the odds of making a layup while getting mugged. That was his logic, at least
I go with this. George was perpetuating the bad blood that was flowing through the series with his, "Bad shot" characterization, when in fact what was bad was his defense.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:100% San Antonio. Homecourt.
Yes, homecourt, and no Jokic.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Dame, Steph and Trey are far and away the best 3 point shooters in the Association from 30-45 feet. Something over 40% if memory serves. Everyone else is about 10%

NOT A BAD SHOT AT ALL
Last edited by nogerO on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Merganzer wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:And I think Phalanx is being generous in his interpretation, haha. PG said it was a bad shot. Not a low percentage shot, not the shot he forced Lillard to take, but a bad shot. And for that he is wrong.

I go with this. George was perpetuating the bad blood that was flowing through the series with his, "Bad shot" characterization, when in fact what was bad was his defense.
I thought his defense on that play was pretty good. You can't blanket a point guard in isolation clear back by the logo. Especially a guy that just burned you for a lay-up on the previous play. If he wants to shoot from out there, he gets that shot. If you want to stop him from a logo shot, it's going to take a double team.

George's statement was in response to a reporter asking a leading question about letting him have that shot rather than having Lillard blow past him. It's not like George was volunteering what a ridiculous shot it was. I really think he is just saying in terms of defensive strategy, that's a shot you are usually comfortable conceding. Obviously in Lillard's case, he makes a higher percentage than most. Still, none of us would be making as big a deal out of this if it was as routine a shot as some here are saying. That is universally considered a difficult shot.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:

I can't stand that bunch of cry babies for OKC...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine