Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:I think the odd man out is Harkless. I could see him being traded for a potential PF and then they sign a vet or two for the minimum to provide depth.
Depends on if Bazemore will be playing any minutes at back-up point guard. If not, he is just as expendable as Harkless, and his $19.3 million means there would be room to export salary and possibly take back two players for one.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Please tell me he is talking about Kanter and not Hood.

And in other news, it is being reported that both Durant and Kyrie Irving are taking less than the max so that the Nets have cap space to sign DeAndre Jordan.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-jordan ... 20448.html

I know this must be fake news, because so many in this thread have told me that there are only two choices, to pay the supermax or the player will automatically leave. So this report is clearly impossible.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phalanx wrote:Please tell me he is talking about Kanter and not Hood.

And in other news, it is being reported that both Durant and Kyrie Irving are taking less than the max so that the Nets have cap space to sign DeAndre Jordan.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-jordan ... 20448.html

I know this must be fake news, because so many in this thread have told me that there are only two choices, to pay the supermax or the player will automatically leave. So this report is clearly impossible.
Yes, because Portland is clearly equal to New Jersey.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With the signing of SF/PF Mario Hezonja, I think it's clear that Harkless' time with the Blazers is coming to an end soon. It's probably now just a matter of who else goes with him to make a deal work.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The Knicks apparently tried this guy out at point guard for a few games last season. I don't think he is going to solve the problem in the post. In fact, I'm not sure what this accomplishes, other than a hedge against Layman not signing the Q.O. This dude seems more like someone who will be sitting next to Trent on the bench waving a towel. Is this the move Jaynes was telling us not to stay up all night for? I think he was right.

So Collins, Leonard, and Labissiere are the post players to start the season, and our only hope to change this reality is that another team might want to give up a rebounding, defending big man in exchange for Mo Harkless. Seems like a great plan. Maybe Olshey has a sign-and-trade for Kanter all set up. That is my current pipe dream.

P.S. I still think Bazemore is the extra guy on this team. I could see him playing to start the season, only long enough for Simons to find his footing, and then trading him at the deadline.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I don't buy the Kevin Love rumors, I think it's much more likely the team packages an expiring + a 1st and extends Kanter on a short 2-year (2nd year player option) deal. The conspiracy theorist in me reasons this is why Kanter hasn't already committed elsewhere, he's allowing a grace period for Olshey to try to come up with cap space.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phalanx wrote: I know this must be fake news, because so many in this thread have told me that there are only two choices, to pay the supermax or the player will automatically leave. So this report is clearly impossible.
So there are these things called endorsements...
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Whiteside! WOW
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Still leaves them a bit thin in the post but he should fill in adequately at C while Nurk recovers. He's also another expiring contract after next season.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Thurston wrote:Whiteside! WOW
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Not a Blazers fan...but I'm here to see how PhalanX spins this into a negative. :P
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

That is a great, great trade.

Now give me a reserve forward/big man who can rebound a little and not get absolutely torched defensively on a minimum deal and let's tie a bow on this thing.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Whiteside?? That is big time!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

droop10 wrote:Not a Blazers fan...but I'm here to see how PhalanX spins this into a negative. :P
Wow, you're not a Blazer fan, you're just here to read me. How flattering.

This is obviously the main trade that had been floated. My only issue is that they are just as thin in the post as they were yesterday, and they have added about $4.3 million in salary, which takes them over the apron. Whiteside is obviously a huge upgrade defensively, and since his contract is up at the end of the year, it will not affect the Blazers long term, except that they only need one more season for the repeater tax if the payroll stays as it is.

So, basically, the nightmare of 2016 is over. I still think the Lillard deal is ridiculous, but that's a worry for a couple of years from now.