Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2018/19 Thread.

Post by StevensTechU »

Assuming that there is a range of possibilities (if the playoffs happened 100 times, it wouldn't go the exact same way every time), I think the Blazers could make the conference finals. My point is that doesn't really do it for me when it's all but determined that Golden State will beat us and anybody else. You (and Phalanx, I believe) may be tired of getting bounced in the first round and envy the Raptors for getting bounced in the 2nd or 3rd, but I bet you their fans don't feel any better than we do. The 3 levels of success really are missing the playoffs, making the playoffs, winning it all. I don't envy another team just because they went further in the playoffs before losing.

Totally fair to agree to disagree on this.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Assuming that there is a range of possibilities (if the playoffs happened 100 times, it wouldn't go the exact same way every time), I think the Blazers could make the conference finals. My point is that doesn't really do it for me when it's all but determined that Golden State will beat us and anybody else. You (and Phalanx, I believe) may be tired of getting bounced in the first round and envy the Raptors for getting bounced in the 2nd or 3rd, but I bet you their fans don't feel any better than we do. The 3 levels of success really are missing the playoffs, making the playoffs, winning it all. I don't envy another team just because they went further in the playoffs before losing.

Totally fair to agree to disagree on this.
This I agree with completely.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Not sure if you guys are old enough to remember the Drexler/Porter/ Kersey/ Williams teams. They never won a championship, but they were the talk of the town. They replaced the weather as the default conversation in Oregon. Yes, they finished each season by losing, but they made everyone feel like they could have won, and maybe they will next year. That is just a heck of a lot better situation for a fan to be in than the one we have now with this overpaid team. I don't find this current team compelling or entertaining at all.

I get that everyone will have a different opinion, but the one I just outline is the one held by the majority of fans. We would much rather go deep into the playoffs than watch this garbage.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phalanx wrote:Not sure if you guys are old enough to remember the Drexler/Porter/ Kersey/ Williams teams. They never won a championship, but they were the talk of the town. They replaced the weather as the default conversation in Oregon. Yes, they finished each season by losing, but they made everyone feel like they could have won, and maybe they will next year. That is just a heck of a lot better situation for a fan to be in than the one we have now with this overpaid team. I don't find this current team compelling or entertaining at all.

I get that everyone will have a different opinion, but the one I just outline is the one held by the majority of fans. We would much rather go deep into the playoffs than watch this garbage.
I'm with you for sure, I was around the Blazers before Walton, Dr. Jack and the gang, so I definitely remember, Clyde & Terry, Buck, Jerome & Duck, as Schonely used to call them,"The best starting 5 in the NBA" The battles with Utah, The Mailman & Stockton, Phoenix, Alvan Adams, Thunder Dan Majerle. Rip City was rockin' and it was because every year the Blazers had a chance, Every game was important.
I haven't been to any games in the Moda Center. But watching them on TV, it just isn't the same. Not even close, as the Blazers go through another empty season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

That was one of the ugliest Blazers games I've seen this year, yet somehow they get a win in Sacramento. McCollum should start losing minutes to Seth Curry until he remembers how to shoot. CJ went 8-19 from the field, 0-5 from three, while Curry knocked down 6-9, including 4-6 from three.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The Blazers looked good in the first half, but yeah, things fell apart quickly in the second half. Luckily there was a combination of the Kings going ice cold and the Blazers making some good defensive plays to finish the game. I think the Kings missed 19 shots in a row at one point, or something like that. Take the wins any way you can get them, especially on the road.

Nurkic stat line: 24 PTS, 23 REB, 7 AST, 5 STL, 5 BLK
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i fall into the group that understands its for the best for a franchise in our position to tank, but i have a whale of a time rooting against us and/or not becoming invested if i sit down to watch a particular game. i knew it would behoove us for dame to miss that shot in oakland last week, and to not complete the comeback last night in sac-town, but i'm there cheering like a dope anyway.

i've said it before, but it'd probably be best for dame to suffer a non-serious season-ending injury that prevents us from winning more than handful of games the rest of the way. a few 10-game losing streaks would help divest me from the team.

this off-season, most of our silly contracts become tradeable assets. landing in the lottery (even a dumb #10-14 pick) would help a CJ + expiring contract(s) package to bring help for dame and nurk.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Blazers trade Baldwin and Stauskas plus two future second-round picks to the Cavs for Rodney Hood. It increases team salary for Portland by about $360k. Did they need a back-up shooting guard? Seems like Seth Curry will be playing less going forward. Or maybe Hood will pick up minutes at small forward. It doesn't seem like Hood can fill the void for a possible Aminu trade, which seems like it needs to happen to alleviate the luxury tax situation.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I believe that either Aminu or Harkless will be gone before the trade deadline.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:I believe that either Aminu or Harkless will be gone before the trade deadline.
From a 'team needs' standpoint, Harkless is the logical choice to dump, but his contract still goes through next year at $11.5 million. I cringe at the idea of giving some team a first-round pick to take him, but that might be what it takes. Otherwise, Aminu seems like he could actually draw a taker on his own, so he seems the more likely to be traded, despite the fact that he would be missed more.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2019 ... eport.html

The Blazers will send Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin and second-round picks in 2021 and 2023 to Cleveland in exchange for Hood, per Wojnarowski. Both Stauskas and Baldwin are expiring contracts.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Merganzer wrote:https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2019 ... eport.html

The Blazers will send Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin and second-round picks in 2021 and 2023 to Cleveland in exchange for Hood, per Wojnarowski. Both Stauskas and Baldwin are expiring contracts.
Meh
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

There's speculation that this is 'the move before the move.' Harkless and Layman could get shopped now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ya I hope there's more to this, because nothing special about Hood except his outside shooting. But I'd argue Stauskas, Curry and Layman were plenty bench shooters.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Hood seems to be generally considered an improvement over Stauskas. It sounds like there were a number of potential suitors for his services, per Woj. He is also playing for a contract, so he should be pretty motivated.

I have no idea how trading Layman would help anything, especially when they have already freed up a roster spot by jettisoning Baldwin. His veteran's minimum salary won't make much luxury tax difference, and he is one of the few Blazers that has been playing above his pay.