Merganzer
Senior

Wittingham to USC?

Post by Merganzer »

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Wittingham to USC?

Post by wepto »

USC will probably hire somebody with ties to the university. Whittingham would be a nightmare.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I almost can't see Whittingham leaving now. He's been at Utah for 20+ seasons and had offers to leave but hasn't.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Whittingham has had issues with the AD there. I don’t think he’s glued to that program.

I have questions about the “fit” he would have at USC.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

My initial thought is that he wouldn’t be alluring to recruits...but clay Helton has gotten top 5-10 classes so it really doesn’t matter who’s coaching they’ll get star players.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Has USC fired Helton?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

USC has a lot of heritage, but outside of Heritage Hall it hasn't meant very much lately. Since John Robinson, former Oregon asst. coach retired for the second time, USC hasn't really had a good coach except for Carroll, who left amidst scandal & sanctions.
Along with the football coaches, AD's haven't done real well either, Lynn Swann is new having replaced Pat Hayden, who fired Kiffin at an airport.
For all the luster, USC had to hire Kiffin, Sarkesian, Helton, because elite coaches weren't interviewing for the job. Now Kelly is at UCLA, the basketball school. If the Trojans have to go with another Helton they're gonna be in trouble.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

A few names come to mind within the conference.

Kyle Whittingham
Mike Leach
David Shaw

USC, even though they've been mediocre for years, is still relevant nationally. Their brand is built in football. If I were them I'd hire a search committee and have them go nationally leaving no stone unturned. Put feelers out to Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, even Bob Stoops. Does anyone think that Peterson might leave UW for the talent rich southern California area? It's hard to say. Brian Kelly at Notre Dame is another name that could be a possibility.

All I know is that they CAN and SHOULD hire a proven winner. They have the cash to make the new coach the highest, or at least one of the highest paid in the country.
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’ve heard Petersen only wanted PNW and that uw and Oregon were only schools he would ever have taken the job at. He actually has already been offered the USC job at least once and turned it down.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I think Whittingham succeeds with the type of guy that goes to Utah. I don't think he would be a guarantee to dominate if he took over USC.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!