What If This Happened Today? (Playoff Chaos!!!)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

What If This Happened Today? (Playoff Chaos!!!)

Post by SuperDuck »

I've listed the Top-10 teams according to the College Football Playoff Committee this week. Notre Dame is a lock since they have no conference championship game. Here are some thoughts from today's conference championship games and how there "could" be complete chaos by the end of the day.

Alabama vs Georgia:

This game appears to be a simple solution, an Alabama win and they're in and seeded #1. A Georgia win would likely vault them to #2 and drop Alabama to #3 or #4. Either way, unless they're completely dominated today, Alabama is almost a lock, win or lose.

At least 2, likely 3, of the Top-4 are set.

Here's where the chaos could happen.

There are only a few teams that are either unbeaten or 1 loss. Those are Georgia (we've already looked at their game), Oklahoma, Ohio State and UCF.

Clemson vs Pitt:

This is where the potential for chaos begins. Clemson should almost certainly win. However, we've seen upsets before. Would a 12-1 Clemson team still get the nod over a potential Oklahoma or Ohio State, both 12-1, assuming they win their CG games today? Hmmm...

What would happen if:

Oklahoma vs Texas:

Oklahoma lost to Texas again? They'd almost certainly be eliminated. They'd have lost to a ranked team twice (the same team) and wouldn't even be a conference champion.

Ohio State vs Northwestern:

Ohio State lost to Northwestern? Hey, as good as the Buckeyes looked last week against Michigan, they were also routed by a 6-6 Purdue team earlier in the year.

UCF vs Memphis:

UCF would certainly be out if they lose to Memphis today, but what if they win? Would the selection committee take an undefeated UCF over 2 loss teams from other major conferences or would the committee disregard them and select from Ohio State or Georgia?

Note: I disqualified Oklahoma because of 2 potential losses to Texas. I also disqualified 2 loss Michigan because they were recently routed by Ohio State.

In a perfect world, everything will go as expected and none of this will play out. But if it were to happen, one of two things would happen that have never happened before in the College Football Playoff era; a 2 loss team would reach the semifinals for the first time OR a Mid-Major would make it for the first time.

Buckle up, folks. Today could not only end chaotic, but also be historic. Get your popcorn ready! ;)

I love college football. :)

1. Alabama 12-0
2. Clemson 12-0
3. Notre Dame 12-0
4. Georgia 11-1
5. Oklahoma 11-1
6. Ohio State 11-1
7. Michigan 10-2
8. UCF 11-0
9. Florida 9-3
10. LSU 9-3
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Re: What If This Happened Today? (Playoff Chaos!!!)

Post by Alan »

The only seniro I don't like is if Georgia beats bama. Both SEC teams are in, Norte Dame is in, Clemson is no doubt in, leaving three division champions out. 3 of 5 out! Not acceptable for a playoff but no fix for now, no chance of an expansion until contract is completed.

No non power 5 team will ever have a chance, they simply do not play the schedule...... I know UCF beat Auburn.......
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

Alan wrote:The only seniro I don't like is if Georgia beats bama. Both SEC teams are in, Norte Dame is in, Clemson is no doubt in, leaving three division champions out. 3 of 5 out! Not acceptable for a playoff but no fix for now, no chance of an expansion until contract is completed.

No non power 5 team will ever have a chance, they simply do not play the schedule...... I know UCF beat Auburn.......

Hopefully this will help push us towards a bigger playoff and less garbage bowl games so I say bring on the controversy. The Power 5 champs should all get an auto bid followed by 3 at large teams to start but I would love to see us grow it even more. Any team can win on any given day with a few lucky bounces or injuries.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Oklahoma 39 Texas 27: It looks good for the 12-1 Sooners. Except that its Georgia 14 Alabama 7 with 7:32 to go in the 2nd quarter.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alabama fumbles in the end zone, called a recovery by Georgia, but review says touchdown, Alabama. 21-14.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Memphis leading UCF...
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Memphis leading UCF...
I think the only thing that affects is who plays in fiesta, UCF or Boise.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

28-14 Georgia over Alabama, and what's really wrong with this is that based on all we know, Alabama has little incentive to win, since all they will lose is the #1 position. OK and Ohio St. are hating this.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Merganzer wrote:28-14 Georgia over Alabama, and what's really wrong with this is that based on all we know, Alabama has little incentive to win, since all they will lose is the #1 position. OK and Ohio St. are hating this.
I'm sure Saban will be in their ears about being complacent and that there are no guarantees, but I agree that OU and OSU are hating it for sure.

There's always a chance that Georgia could be better than Alabama. That, or they're super motivated for revenge after coming so close to beating them in recent years.

Personally, I hate it that Notre Dame appears to be a lock for a playoff spot. I also agree about needing an 8 team playoff.
John 3:36
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tua is having a tough day, 2 Int's, 0 TD's.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

SuperDuck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:28-14 Georgia over Alabama, and what's really wrong with this is that based on all we know, Alabama has little incentive to win, since all they will lose is the #1 position. OK and Ohio St. are hating this.
I'm sure Saban will be in their ears about being complacent and that there are no guarantees, but I agree that OU and OSU are hating it for sure.

There's always a chance that Georgia could be better than Alabama. That, or they're super motivated for revenge after coming so close to beating them in recent years.

Personally, I hate it that Notre Dame appears to be a lock for a playoff spot. I also agree about needing an 8 team playoff.
What is bad about this really is that should Georgia go on to win, they certainly deserve to be in the Playoffs, and despite the look it would have, 1 loss Alabama would have a better season than 1 loss Ohio State, 29 to Purdue, & OK, with a loss to Texas. Of course, maybe Alabama will win this, just got a TD to make it 28-21.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tua out, Hurts in.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Georgia missed a 30 yard FG, Hurts has Alabama fired up, 28-28, 5: 19 left.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

26 yard pass for Georgia, next play, lose 1 on a run, next, incomplete pass, 3rd & 11. Incomplete pass, Georgia fakes a punt, needs 11, doesn't get it. Alabama gets the ball on its 48.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Hurts runs it in for a touchdown, Alabama leads 35-28, 1:04 left. They're cheering in Oklahoma.