College Football Playoffs Are Set. Did They Get It Right?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: College Football Playoffs Are Set. Did They Get It Right

Post by Bud Lee »

With this format I think they got it right.

However, I think we really need to go to 8 ASAP. All five Power five champions get a automatic bid and then give out three at large.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Bud Lee wrote:With this format I think they got it right.

However, I think we really need to go to 8 ASAP. All five Power five champions get a automatic bid and then give out three at large.
All 5 Power 5 and 1 Guaranteed spot to the highest ranked nonpower 5 unless they're ranked below 12.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I agree 100%. Some conference champs may have 2-3 losses some years but the conference itself could cannibalize each other, while others may not be nearly as good or just be top heavy.

I agree that Georgia should have gotten in, but only in an 8 team format. It wouldn't have been fair to Oklahoma or Ohio State in the current format.

That said, in an 8 team playoff this year it would be:

#1. Alabama vs #8. Washington
#2. Clemson vs #7. Michigan
#3. Notre Dame vs #6. Ohio State
#4. Oklahoma vs #5. Georgia

I think there'd be a great chance for upsets by Ohio State and Georgia. I'd still have Alabama vs Clemson in the championship game.
John 3:36
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

SuperDuck wrote:

I agree 100%. Some conference champs may have 2-3 losses some years but the conference itself could cannibalize each other, while others may not be nearly as good or just be top heavy.

I agree that Georgia should have gotten in, but only in an 8 team format. It wouldn't have been fair to Oklahoma or Ohio State in the current format.

I think there'd be a great chance for upsets by Ohio State and Georgia. I'd still have Alabama vs Clemson in the championship game.
Not sure I understand. How do you have UW in there? They finished at #9 in the final CFP rankings behind UCF.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Greenblood wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Not sure I understand. How do you have UW in there? They finished at #9 in the final CFP rankings behind UCF.
They would be a Power 5 champion. I think this would be the best way to handle it going forward. Then we don't need the argument of 8 or 9 conference games, because ultimately it wouldn't matter. Sure it could make a difference in the wild card spots, but the argument could always be made that if you won your conference, you wouldn't have had to worry about the extra game. You're on equal footing with the others in your conference.

Also, 8 teams would give non-Power 5 schools a shot at the title. I understand UCF isn't one of the top 4 schools in the nation right now, but what's the point of them playing all season with 0 chance of getting to win a national championship. They might as well put those conferences in a different division of football if they have no opportunity to win in this one.

The SEC commish's comments that laid blame on UCF were obnoxious, as well. Comparing their situation to the NCAA tournament when the SEC still got 3 teams in (and obviously got the automatic qualifier regardless) is asinine. Nobody wants to play these strong non-Power 5 schools, because there is high risk and little reward in the matchups, plus you have to schedule games out 5-10 years in advance. It's hard to tell which teams will be good in 5 years, so how do you schedule for that?