Weird Tua Story

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Weird Tua Story

Post by Duck24 »

Apparently his dad would beat him with a belt if he had a bad game or threw an interception. Read part 1 of the article linked in the tweet below if interested. Not here to judge parenting in the least but like the author of the article, surprised that nobody on ESPN pushed back or objected to what could easily be construed as excessive if not outright abuse.
maxduck
Senior

Re: Weird Tua Story

Post by maxduck »

I watched a replay of the interview and was shocked by the revelation. IMO there is never a reason to hit anyone or anything with a belt. Maybe Mark Helfrich was right in not pursuing a player with an abusive and domineering father who obviously intended to be around the football program at all times. I got the impression the father picked the school for Tua.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Saw a blurb that said Adrian Peterson still beats his son too.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tua's dad seemed proud of it. I would imagine that there was a lot of physical abuse in that household.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

The story is being taken out of context, college gameday ran interviews with Tua, his mom and dad last Saturday. They are a very loving family! He didn't beat him for an interception! Yes, his dad used a belt, my mom used the wire end of a fly swatter and I'm fine and love them dearly. It's simply was that Tua discipline was the belt he also had a reward for doing the right thing, he was never beaten for an interception. I am in no way supporting child abuse just saying a swat with a belt or fly swatter isn't going to hurt you. We have raised a "snowflake" generation which has create many young people to have no concept of respect or responsibility. For any of you that has had to endure the terrible 15 seconds in time out compare a belt to walking through the bushes and having a small branch come back and smal you in the arm or leg....stings for a second and then you move on.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I"m too lazy to dive into the details. I have no issue with spanking. Parents are responsible for raising moral and decent kids, and if other avenues don't work with a kid, it's a tool in the tool belt. But for underachieving in athletics, if true, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and definitely could be considered abuse.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

StevensTechU wrote:I"m too lazy to dive into the details. I have no issue with spanking. Parents are responsible for raising moral and decent kids, and if other avenues don't work with a kid, it's a tool in the tool belt. But for underachieving in athletics, if true, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and definitely could be considered abuse.
I’m with you. Discipline when warranted, I’m OK with. Discipline for errors in sports, which are supposed to be fun, has a Marv Marinovich feel to it. Don’t feel like this is a snowflake issue as Alan says it is but to each their own.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I"m too lazy to dive into the details. I have no issue with spanking. Parents are responsible for raising moral and decent kids, and if other avenues don't work with a kid, it's a tool in the tool belt. But for underachieving in athletics, if true, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and definitely could be considered abuse.
I’m with you. Discipline when warranted, I’m OK with. Discipline for errors in sports, which are supposed to be fun, has a Marv Marinovich feel to it. Don’t feel like this is a snowflake issue as Alan says it is but to each their own.
Reaction without knowledge is the way of many of those who belong to "millennial" generation".
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Reaction without knowledge is the way of many of those who are lazy.
Fixed that for you. To blame a generation for an issue that is prevalent in all of them proves the point.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, sadly I think flduck is right. Everyone from 10-70 tends to just read a headline and react to it. Context and retractions are ignored. It shows how ignorant we are and susceptible to clickbait and propaganda. But it also shows a problem with the media, who just try to create eye catching titles and be the first to report ‘something’ without vetting what they’re putting out there.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

FlDuckFan wrote:
Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Reaction without knowledge is the way of many of those who are lazy.
Fixed that for you. To blame a generation for an issue that is prevalent in all of them proves the point.
Flduck, I'm not going to push this issue, it seems enough on this board gets it. However you edited my post, which I don't mind, but I didn't blame a generation, so is why I used the words "many of those who belong".
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Watch the Gameday segment, what was taken out of context?

Direct quotes from the interview:

Tua: If I don’t perform well, perform the way I’m supposed to, I’m going to get it after.

Rinaldi: When you say “I’m going to get it”, just be clear what you mean there, Tua.

Tua: Well, just know the belt was involved, and other things were involved as well. It’s almost the same with school. If I don’t get this grade, I’m going to have to suffer the consequences.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OK he got to where he is now by being abused
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:
Reaction without knowledge is the way of many of those who belong to "millennial" generation".
From what I can tell, I don't think critical thinking is limited to any generation.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:OK he got to where he is now by being abused
Google Marv and Todd Marinovich.