Poor Chris Petersen

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Poor Chris Petersen

Post by maxduck »

He is upset that schools continue to contact and recruit a committed player. To him that is a new phenomenon

“I think about three or four years ago, or certainly when I first got here, I felt zero (suspense),” Petersen said Wednesday afternoon. “Like the night before, I didn’t think about it twice. … And I think as the recruiting situation has — I’m trying to think of the right words — gotten worse, it can be painful. The vultures and the lowdown tactics that (are) going on behind closed doors — now I think about it a little bit more than I did.”

How much worse has it gotten?

“I don’t know,” he said. “We just operate such a different way, so when it happens to the guys that have been committed to us — why would you be calling those kids? They’ve been committed to us forever. But they do. And they’re sending texts and doing all this stuff just to see if there’s any slight change (of a change of heart), and if there is — look out. I think it’s hard. These are kids. And even the families that are going through this stuff for the first time. But it’s the nature of the beast.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... ecruiting/
woundedknees
All-American

Re: Poor Chris Petersen

Post by woundedknees »

maxduck wrote:He is upset that schools continue to contact and recruit a committed player. To him that is a new phenomenon

“I think about three or four years ago, or certainly when I first got here, I felt zero (suspense),” Petersen said Wednesday afternoon. “Like the night before, I didn’t think about it twice. … And I think as the recruiting situation has — I’m trying to think of the right words — gotten worse, it can be painful. The vultures and the lowdown tactics that (are) going on behind closed doors — now I think about it a little bit more than I did.”

How much worse has it gotten?

“I don’t know,” he said. “We just operate such a different way, so when it happens to the guys that have been committed to us — why would you be calling those kids? They’ve been committed to us forever. But they do. And they’re sending texts and doing all this stuff just to see if there’s any slight change (of a change of heart), and if there is — look out. I think it’s hard. These are kids. And even the families that are going through this stuff for the first time. But it’s the nature of the beast.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... ecruiting/
It was probably a lot easier being the opportunistic Poacher at a MWC program like BSU than being the gamekeeper at a D-1 program like UW...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Didn't Bellotti get accused of this with the recruitment of Haloti Ngata? It does seem like it has gotten more prevalent for various schools to try to flip committed players. I suspect that in reality, the bigger schools have been poaching all along, but just don't like it that everyone is doing it now. It seems like players can shut down recruiting if they actually are 'committed' though.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Phalanx wrote:Didn't Bellotti get accused of this with the recruitment of Haloti Ngata? It does seem like it has gotten more prevalent for various schools to try to flip committed players. I suspect that in reality, the bigger schools have been poaching all along, but just don't like it that everyone is doing it now. It seems like players can shut down recruiting if they actually are 'committed' though.
USC has been poaching every season for as long as most of us can remember... To insinuate that this is something new is ingenuous.

(I like big WORDS and I cannot lie... I'll use 'em til the day I die! Meh. It's a habit I developed because it drives my Mother-in-Law nutz! ;))
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

They've done this to us and vice-versa. It's part of the game. He's a whiner.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Would it be cool if people didn't go after committed players? Sure, but that's never going to happen.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

Phenom wrote:They've done this to us and vice-versa. It's part of the game. He's a whiner.
Gaining a reputation as a whiner is never a good thing. Hopefully he continues with that.