Coaching salaries are out of control

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Coaching salaries are out of control

Post by maxduck »

Dabo Swinney just signed a 10 year, $93 million contract.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Coaching salaries are out of control

Post by StevensTechU »

I work in finance. I was an economics & finance student. I'm all for free markets. But it is truly insane.

I've thought about what kind of regulation you could put in place that would limit coach, staff, and athletic department salaries without simply pushing dollars to other places, including cheating. For instance, put a hard cap on head coach salary and you're going to see higher staff salaries, more investment in facilities, and payments to players & parents.

I think what you have to do is burden the departments with an additional expense proportionate to the amount of revenue, plus a rule that disallows athletic departments from receiving funds from the academic side of the institution except for in cases of small colleges. For instance, for every $1 the athletic department generates, $0.10 needs to go to the general scholarship fund. Alabama and Texas pay the most, Wazzu and Arizona pay the least.

Paired with this, you could then put a hard cap on coaching and AD salaries. Doing that alone would only push the dollars elsewhere, though.

Regulation is effectively whack-a-mole. Systems have to be very clever to work well.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Is Clemson a private school?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

FlDuckFan wrote:Is Clemson a private school?
Not a good one.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

FlDuckFan wrote:Is Clemson a private school?
No, Clemson is a public institution. But, even if it were private, most private institutions choose to accept federal funding, and the public has every right to question how those institutions that accept it spend their money.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I work in finance. I was an economics & finance student. I'm all for free markets. But it is truly insane.

I've thought about what kind of regulation you could put in place that would limit coach, staff, and athletic department salaries without simply pushing dollars to other places, including cheating. For instance, put a hard cap on head coach salary and you're going to see higher staff salaries, more investment in facilities, and payments to players & parents.

I think what you have to do is burden the departments with an additional expense proportionate to the amount of revenue, plus a rule that disallows athletic departments from receiving funds from the academic side of the institution except for in cases of small colleges. For instance, for every $1 the athletic department generates, $0.10 needs to go to the general scholarship fund. Alabama and Texas pay the most, Wazzu and Arizona pay the least.

Paired with this, you could then put a hard cap on coaching and AD salaries. Doing that alone would only push the dollars elsewhere, though.

Regulation is effectively whack-a-mole. Systems have to be very clever to work well.
The players should be paid. Divide these insane salaries up among the players who actually make the schools the money evenly, then you don't have to worry about cheating
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I like the idea of a commingled trust fund for the players. To abide by NCAA rules you can state that they don’t receive their cut until they graduate even but at least they make it on the back end. I’m also fine with doing revenue sharing. Alabama would likely get greater dividends than say UAB but if you’re part of the reason for the school having large revenue gains that it should be disproportionate.

To that end, if a sport like women’s tennis doesn’t make money then the player shouldn’t either IMO. It belies the capitalist structure of our country.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I like the idea of a commingled trust fund for the players. To abide by NCAA rules you can state that they don’t receive their cut until they graduate even but at least they make it on the back end. I’m also fine with doing revenue sharing. Alabama would likely get greater dividends than say UAB but if you’re part of the reason for the school having large revenue gains that it should be disproportionate.

To that end, if a sport like women’s tennis doesn’t make money then the player shouldn’t either IMO. It belies the capitalist structure of our country.
You want a organization like the NCAA in charge of a multi million dollar fund? Not me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk