NDSU/OREGON 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: NDSU/OREGON 2020

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:
JBB wrote:Good news. Ticket markets for the game are active serving as a good sign the game will be played.
Oh thank god!!! I really thought the Ducks would have to forfeit giving the mighty Bison another win and a very prestigious win over a highly ranked power five school! Why do I feel the Ducks dodged a bullet? Now to squeak by the Bison........ maybe a last second 89 yard field goal? ......... does this ever get old? Your relentless posting on a competitors message board?
Not if people keep taking the bait.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

DUCKS SEASON PREVIEW

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... eview-2020
Having a veteran backup should allow more freedom to run the QB. New coordinator Joe Moorhead says his previous offenses would employ 10 to 15 plays per game with a QB run option, a number he calls “just about right.”
The Bison were one of the best option teams in history, all types including QB run options There are probably books by Bison coaches on the option in your football library under the stands. Over the years they have been very good at shutting the option down. I think it’s better used sprinkled through out the game plan as the Ducks are doing than running it as the entire offensive scheme. The Bison will run it too.

The Bison defense should be very good as well. lots of experience size and speed will be on the field.
The UO defense lost its own “quarterback” in inside linebacker Troy Dye, but there’s every reason to think the unit can be even better in 2020 despite his loss.
NDSU lost its defensive QB when LB Jabril Cox transferred to LSU.

No doubt the Ducks defense is going to be good. How good? don’t know but expectations are high. The Bison with a mobile QB, good fast receivers, a great rotation of running backs, sure handed physical TE and a very competitive, experienced line might be able to give them a good test.
If the Ducks indeed take another step forward defensively — and there’s every reason to expect them to — that will ease the pressure on Shough as he steps into the enormous shadow cast by Herbert. Oregon has a bellwether game in Week 2 when Ohio State visits Eugene, so it won’t take long to learn a lot about the Ducks’ 2020 fortunes.
Maybe even sooner? Who knows?
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Ranking Oregon’s opponents:

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Lo ... 47420193_3

8: OREGON VS. NORTH DAKOTA STATE (SEPT. 5)

2019 record: 16-0, 8-0 MVFC

Explanation: The Bison have won 37 straight games. That includes three straight FCS national championships. This is not your run-of-the-mill mop-up season opener against a a lower division foe. The Bison are good. They're legit talented. Their quarterback Trey Lance is a projected first round draft pick in 2021. Last season as a redshirt freshman, Lance threw for 28 touchdowns with a single interception. He also ran for 1,100 yards and 14 more scores. The Ducks will have their hands full in this game. I couldn't in good faith put the next few Pac-12 road games ahead of this game, as a November road game with a division rival carries more weight. But this will be a tougher game than some expect it to be.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Go ahead and cast your vote for the winner

https://twitter.com/SidelinesOregon/sta ... 36609?s=19
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

JBB wrote:DUCKS SEASON PREVIEW

The Bison defense should be very good as well. lots of experience size and speed will be on the field.

good fast receivers, a great rotation of running backs,
Your defense will have experience but you lack size and speed. Your defense is slow and small. Your receivers are capable but I wouldn't call them fast. And your running backs are serviceable but far from great.

Your idea of your size and speed is skewed by the horrible division that you play in.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

**********COLLEGE FOOTBALL ALERT**********
GAM Publishing June 16, 2020
NDSU BISON @ OREGON DUCKS
September 5, 2020 Kickoff TBA
Eugene, Oregon Auzten Stadium
Capacity 54,000

WINNER/SPREAD: Oregon Ducks -6
OVER/UNDER: 58
MYTHICAL SCORE: Oregon 32 NDSU BISON 26
This is the how the GAM interprets the game. It is the OFFICIAL LINE.

HOW WE EXPECT IT TO UNFOLD:

We expect total score to go under 58. We feel the defenses will slow the offenses down in a manner the GAM cannot anticipate. In the end the relative strengths of the 2 teams should hold the spread to around 6. Each teams final score and over/under could vary significantly.

We don't think Oregon can cover the 6 point spread

We feel the Bison can win. The spread is less than seven the likely margin for an NDSU victory is 1 or 4.

We are looking for very good money line propositions. We hope to see a much larger spread setting up the BISON + points proposition.

Being within 7 on the GAM has indicated upset 100% of the time in the NDSU BISON FBS games.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

With so many things "different" than they were just six months ago, I'm finding this one a really tough game to predict. Originally, I was thinking that it would be a very close game with Oregon likely to win but the Bison capable of pulling the upset.

While I still think a Bison win is very much in the realm of possibility, I'm thinking that the loss of Jabril Cox to LSU may be enough to swing my prediction to a likely 7-10 point win for Oregon, making the Bison upset a bit less likely. (Edited to add: I think Jabril is the kind of impact player that would have stopped a breakaway TD run or sacked Shough instead of allowing him to throw a long TD pass. I think the rest of the Bison defense will still play hard, but they'll be missing enough to let a TD or so slip by them they wouldn't have with Jabril lining up.)

Assuming the game is played and they allow fans, I'll be there making some noise. Go Bison!
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

karlhungis wrote:
JBB wrote:DUCKS SEASON PREVIEW

good fast receivers, a great rotation of running backs,
Your defense will have experience but you lack size and speed. Your defense is slow and small. Your receivers are capable but I wouldn't call them fast. And your running backs are serviceable but far from great.

Your idea of your size and speed is skewed by the horrible division that you play in.
Actually, my view is skewed by the GAM. I’m not sure about speed, size and quality of the running backs, I go with the math. Good game plans can equalize a lot of things. The Montana/Ducks game is my favorite. If that is what Oregon brings it will be a good game.

The GAM did not predict the winner it showed the relative strength of the teams. Oregon is stronger. The only predictions to be made is the acceptance of any propositions offered by the sports betting groups. The GAM will guide you on what to do with the propositions. When the perception of the game shows a wide disparity with the GAMs result you have opportunity. That’s the case for this game.

Oregon is not helpless . The GAM shows 30 points plus 2 for home field. That 2 pts was a reluctant bump for the Ducks. Could it be a nod to their team speed an obvious characteristic of the Ducks.

The FCS Is horrible. The BISON dominate the division. NDSU is no Montana. This one is well within the upset parameters but advantage Oregon.

Checked five dimes again. No line on this game yet.
Last edited by JBB on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

thebootfitter wrote:With so many things "different" than they were just six months ago, I'm finding this one a really tough game to predict. Originally, I was thinking that it would be a very close game with Oregon likely to win but the Bison capable of pulling the upset.

While I still think a Bison win is very much in the realm of possibility, I'm thinking that the loss of Jabril Cox to LSU may be enough to swing my prediction to a likely 7-10 point win for Oregon, making the Bison upset a bit less likely. (Edited to add: I think Jabril is the kind of impact player that would have stopped a breakaway TD run or sacked Shough instead of allowing him to throw a long TD pass. I think the rest of the Bison defense will still play hard, but they'll be missing enough to let a TD or so slip by them they wouldn't have with Jabril lining up.)

Assuming the game is played and they allow fans, I'll be there making some noise. Go Bison!
With Jabril the GAM was flashing upset. Without +6 BISON.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

What the Bison defense has to do is slow down the Ducks enough so their offense, which is the leading strength of the Herd can move the ball, control the clock and score points.

From an earlier report coming out of Bison 247:
I know we said this about Iowa before that game, but this will be the best team North Dakota State has faced in Division I. We are likely yet to know who the Ducks QB is going to be and the offensive line has a lot of question marks, but Oregon's defense is going to be fast, experienced and athletic. Their matchup against this extremely gifted NDSU offense will be truly fascinating.
https://247sports.com/college/north-dak ... 142143974/

One of the best ways to combat a fast defense is play a short, physical pounding game. Rotate wide receivers and run their secondary. Start stacking the box and the Bison will start dinking and dunking over the top always with the outside threat. As soon as your downfield coverage breaks down the long ball will fall in place. Your speed may prevent the TD not the long gain.

Your speed will off-set the outside running game so miss-direction is one cure. Clear the cut-back ally for the big gain. If the Ducks keep it closed it’s one or two more defenders losing a couple steps neutralizing speed advantages.

Another key is up the middle. An effective dive or punishing off-tackle game should keep the defense tight to the center.

From all of this comes the endless variations and of course Lances extraordinary running ability.

Speed is important. The Ducks May be so good they overwhelm The Herd but I doubt it. The Montana game keeps that worry in check.

My on-going defense of The Bison has little to do with homerism rather it’s a defense of the GAM. If the GAMs conclusions are supported by real world insights it’s conclusions are actionable. So far so good.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ FYI Oregon is slated to have the best secondary in the country
- 1st team All-American Jevon Holland
- Freshman All-American Verone McKinley
- Freshman All-American Mykael Wright
- Rose Bowl MVP Brady Breeze
- All Pac-12 and 4 year starter Thomas Graham
- All Pac 12 and 3.5 year starter Deommodore Lenoir

That list doesn't include: 4 year starter Nick Pickett, 5 star Dontae Manning, DJ James, Jamal Hill etc. So please, plan to tire out our secondary
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

All I’m suggesting is those guys will have to stay with our receivers every play. If The Bison are able to break through the LBs with the running game the nations best secondary will have to break away from receivers to make tackles. That means a receiver is open. Formations and execution are key to creating those opportunities. The Bison will have to be effective at both.

I believe The Bison are effective enough to justify the GAMs 6 pt spread. Iowa had a 5 point spread. Physically The Bison outplayed both Kansas and Iowa. Both were gassed and getting up slow. Players were getting shaken up. Both Iowa and K State were faster. Because there isn’t a lot of continuity between the Bison teams that beat Iowa and K State and this years Bison squad it’s safe to assume the FBS success is a reflection of the system not a one off collection of outstanding players.

Arizona State, NDSU is also a state university, did a pretty good job against that secondary. The Bison are that good and have a better running game.
Last edited by JBB on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

JBB wrote: One of the best ways to combat a fast defense is play a short, physical pounding game. Rotate wide receivers and run their secondary. Start stacking the box and the Bison will start dinking and dunking over the top always with the outside threat. As soon as your downfield coverage breaks down the long ball will fall in place. Your speed may prevent the TD not the long gain.

Good luck implementing a physical pounding game. That strategy would be sound given comparable athletes on both sides of the ball.

NDSU's only chance is going to rely on the legs of your QB and misdirection.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

whatever puts a crack in the armor of the Ducks defense, whether it be miss direction or anything else is precisely what the NDSU game plan will be designed to expose. Even Montana scored and moved the ball.

I’m sure the NDSU coaches are glad to have Trey Lance, his legs, arm and over all athletic ability on the field. It’s a definite advantage to have an NFL quality QB. Don’t forget the NFL quality along the Bison O-Line including TEs.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

You should be using Arizona State and Auburn for your talent comparisons not Montana or Portland State.

Referring to how NDSU will replace graduating SRs from the 2019 squad Bison 247 had this to say about The Bison roster
I don't even know where to start with the offense. What concerns would you possibly have at this point. It's not that Zack Johnson and Ben Ellefson weren't useful players, they were. They can replace those two, they can replace Ty Brooks, they can replace Jimmy Kepouros, they can replace them all with really, really good players.