Clemson is a fraud.

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: Clemson is a fraud.

Post by Merganzer »

Thurston wrote:I'm trying to think of an apt comparison. Closest I'm coming up with is 2014 Florida State, who were coming off a national championship and ran the table before meeting us in the Rose Bowl. They most certainly did not pass the eyeball test and just about everybody knew it, but it's not like you can leave an undefeated P5 team out of the CFP.

But, who knows. Clemson could just be bored. That's one mighty weak schedule.
The FSU result should be a warning sign to the committee about letting Clemson in this time. Bored? Maybe, but I feel its more a sense of entitlement. P5 undefeated, should be in the CFP? So far, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, Florida, who play each other this week, Wisconsin, Penn. St, Iowa, Wake Forest, haven't lost and all have played a more difficult schedule than has Clemson, and should be in front of them. Clemson is laughing.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Thurston wrote:I'm trying to think of an apt comparison. Closest I'm coming up with is 2014 Florida State, who were coming off a national championship and ran the table before meeting us in the Rose Bowl. They most certainly did not pass the eyeball test and just about everybody knew it, but it's not like you can leave an undefeated P5 team out of the CFP.

But, who knows. Clemson could just be bored. That's one mighty weak schedule.
But let's be real. Florida State beat themselves. ;)
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Heard beloved forever Duc, Anthony Newman spouting the nonsense... "They're the champ! Have they lost yet?" In that argument Newman & the others acknowledge that last season is not only a part of this season's CPF formula, but more important than other teams' performance this season. It's painful.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:Heard beloved forever Duc, Anthony Newman spouting the nonsense... "They're the champ! Have they lost yet?" In that argument Newman & the others acknowledge that last season is not only a part of this season's CPF formula, but more important than other teams' performance this season. It's painful.
Honestly I think this is one of those things that only applies to an undefeated defending champion. By seasons end if they are undefeated I don't see how anyone could rightly keep them out nor acknowledge that a 20+ game winning streak isn't relevant in a subjective ranking of teams.

Florida Women's College deserved to get into the Rose Bowl against us that season
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Heard beloved forever Duc, Anthony Newman spouting the nonsense... "They're the champ! Have they lost yet?" In that argument Newman & the others acknowledge that last season is not only a part of this season's CPF formula, but more important than other teams' performance this season. It's painful.
Honestly I think this is one of those things that only applies to an undefeated defending champion. By seasons end if they are undefeated I don't see how anyone could rightly keep them out nor acknowledge that a 20+ game winning streak isn't relevant in a subjective ranking of teams.

Florida Women's College deserved to get into the Rose Bowl against us that season
I can't go with that. Radical thinking perhaps, but I feel the only games that should matter at all in determining the polls now, and more importantly, this season's CPF, are games played this season. Clemson was ranked #1 in the pre-season, first week poll, and since they haven't lost, there was a reluctance, until finally, they were dropped to #2, in taking this seasons play in to consideration. Undefeated Oklahoma, LSU, Wisconsin, Florida, SMU, have all played better, against better competition this season, but are behind Clemson, because of last season. The toughest game Clemson will play this season is next week at FSU. So, by all means put them in the playoffs for surviving that gauntlet.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

"My eyes, my eyes!!" Not to mention my ears as Steven A Smith's show, "First Take" was @ Clemson before the "BIG" game against FSU, and it will be their toughest competition for the rest of the season. Aw shucks Dabo was there. How did "Gameday" miss this one?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I can't go with that. Radical thinking perhaps, but I feel the only games that should matter at all in determining the polls now, and more importantly, this season's CPF, are games played this season. Clemson was ranked #1 in the pre-season, first week poll, and since they haven't lost, there was a reluctance, until finally, they were dropped to #2, in taking this seasons play in to consideration. Undefeated Oklahoma, LSU, Wisconsin, Florida, SMU, have all played better, against better competition this season, but are behind Clemson, because of last season. The toughest game Clemson will play this season is next week at FSU. So, by all means put them in the playoffs for surviving that gauntlet.
The thing is...any undefeated team in a Power 5 conference should make the playoffs. There is 0 chance there will be 5 undefeated teams at season's end, so there's no reason to debate it. Ranking in the playoffs are meaningless in my opinion. I don't care much about rankings at this point in the year. These rankings aren't related to the playoff rankings anyway.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

The thing is...any undefeated team in a Power 5 conference should make the playoffs. There is 0 chance there will be 5 undefeated teams at season's end, so there's no reason to debate it. Ranking in the playoffs are meaningless in my opinion. I don't care much about rankings at this point in the year. These rankings aren't related to the playoff rankings anyway.
They may not technically have anything to do with the Playoffs, but the longer last season keeps Clemson in the top 4, the harder it will be to keep them out when this season really matters. Unless this season there are no undefeated teams besides Clemson, they should be no where near the playoffs.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

They may not technically have anything to do with the Playoffs, but the longer last season keeps Clemson in the top 4, the harder it will be to keep them out when this season really matters. Unless this season there are no undefeated teams besides Clemson, they should be no where near the playoffs.
So if there's only 1 other undefeated team, two 1 loss teams should jump Clemson? Sure, the ACC is garbage, but that's not something Clemson can control. Can you imagine if Oregon went undefeated and was left out, because of the perception of the Pac-12? Everyone here would riot. They can only play who is on their schedule. They played A&M out of conference, so we can't say they only scheduled cupcakes either. Yes, they barely beat UNC, but let's be real...they are 1 of the best 4 teams in the country. If they do lose to someone in ACC, then yes, leave them out due to the ACC being weak, but there's no way it's justified if they run the table.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

So if there's only 1 other undefeated team, two 1 loss teams should jump Clemson? Sure, the ACC is garbage, but that's not something Clemson can control. Can you imagine if Oregon went undefeated and was left out, because of the perception of the Pac-12? Everyone here would riot. They can only play who is on their schedule. They played A&M out of conference, so we can't say they only scheduled cupcakes either. Yes, they barely beat UNC, but let's be real...they are 1 of the best 4 teams in the country. If they do lose to someone in ACC, then yes, leave them out due to the ACC being weak, but there's no way it's justified if they run the table.
All good talking points... right up to the highlighted part. Based on what is Clemson one of the top 4 teams in the country? What is keeping OK, Wisconsin, LSU, Ohio State behind them?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote: All good talking points... right up to the highlighted part. Based on what is Clemson one of the top 4 teams in the country? What is keeping OK, Wisconsin, LSU, Ohio State behind them?
Based on talent, in my opinion. Their team is relatively the same team that rolled through everyone last year, especially the offense. Their defense just reloads with 5 star talent. They might be sleepwalking through their schedule right now, but there's 0 shortage of talent on that squad. I think they would wreck Wisconsin just based on the athletes they have in comparison. I know Wisconsin's D looks solid, but they haven't really played any offenses worth a damn. I think Clemson would shred them.

The other 3 teams, I think it's too early to tell. However, I really just think it's not a big deal, because it will work itself out over the season. Either they go undefeated, or slip up against a team they shouldn't. I still see a scenario where they possibly get in simply based on the eyeball test if they lose a game, and then I could see an argument for why they shouldn't be in.

However, I think we should let it play out first before making that judgment. I personally don't see any way that they lose to any of the teams on their schedule. They are so much more talented than those teams that they can probably actually sleepwalk through their schedule and make it to the playoffs. That is, of course, barring injuries to critical players. We'll see how it shapes up!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote: All good talking points... right up to the highlighted part. Based on what is Clemson one of the top 4 teams in the country? What is keeping OK, Wisconsin, LSU, Ohio State behind them?
Based on talent, in my opinion. Their team is relatively the same team that rolled through everyone last year, especially the offense. Their defense just reloads with 5 star talent. They might be sleepwalking through their schedule right now, but there's 0 shortage of talent on that squad. I think they would wreck Wisconsin just based on the athletes they have in comparison. I know Wisconsin's D looks solid, but they haven't really played any offenses worth a damn. I think Clemson would shred them.

The other 3 teams, I think it's too early to tell. However, I really just think it's not a big deal, because it will work itself out over the season. Either they go undefeated, or slip up against a team they shouldn't. I still see a scenario where they possibly get in simply based on the eyeball test if they lose a game, and then I could see an argument for why they shouldn't be in.

However, I think we should let it play out first before making that judgment. I personally don't see any way that they lose to any of the teams on their schedule. They are so much more talented than those teams that they can probably actually sleepwalk through their schedule and make it to the playoffs. That is, of course, barring injuries to critical players. We'll see how it shapes up!
That's the problem I'm having; sleepwalking to a chance at the championship? It will probably work itself out. Though FSU was a in the same situation, and look what happened to them. I also don't think the talent is that obvious this season. Lawrence was supposed to be All World. This season? Not so much, and a lot of Clemson's D is gone.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote:
droop10 wrote:

That's the problem I'm having; sleepwalking to a chance at the championship? It will probably work itself out. Though FSU was a in the same situation, and look what happened to them. I also don't think the talent is that obvious this season. Lawrence was supposed to be All World. This season? Not so much, and a lot of Clemson's D is gone.
Their D is a lot like Bama’s. With Venables as coordinator, it’s just plug and play the next 5 star. They’ve been a dominant defense for a while now. FSU might have been overhyped that season, but I don’t recall much debate about whether they should be in the playoff. If I recall, they were dropped below 1 loss teams in the rankings, but it’s been a while, so I’m not 100% sure about that.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

droop10 wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
droop10 wrote:

Their D is a lot like Bama’s. With Venables as coordinator, it’s just plug and play the next 5 star. They’ve been a dominant defense for a while now. FSU might have been overhyped that season, but I don’t recall much debate about whether they should be in the playoff. If I recall, they were dropped below 1 loss teams in the rankings, but it’s been a while, so I’m not 100% sure about that.
All that is probably true. But I don't care if Clemson has been a dominant defense for a while now. All that should matter for this season is this season. So far this season, even with the sleepwalkable schedule, their D has not been dominant. Perception should not get a team to the playoffs. Look at it from the point of view of the teams like OK, Ohio State and LSU that have been dominant, but are behind Clemson. Say LSU, with the schedule they have finishes the season with only a loss to Alabama, or Alabama to LSU? They should be out & sleepwalking Clemson in? The very least Clemson should do is go undefeated.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Slick Willie Taggart to the rescue in making Clemson look like a champ again! :lol: :lol: :lol: