Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

Post by Zyme »

I would disagree with restrictions on waiver. Anytime during reg season (playoffs no due to normal restrictions on FAs)
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Craig wrote:
Oregon Ownage wrote:
The Bean Regime wrote:Business as usual meaning a typical cut? :)
Yes
The Bean Regime wrote:Also, will the team be able to ask for anything on the waiver? If it's only straight waivers and your prize is potentially getting rid of a contract, then I support it. I don't like waiver systems where a waiving team can ask for or give things with the player. Also don't like the "can only claim player x if you also claim player y" thing.
While you are ridding the contract, you still take the cut loss (I.E, cut a player on a 2.3 mil salary, you are still docked 2.3 mil. It doesnt magically disappear)
The Bean Regime wrote:ALSOOOOOOO, I propose if it is implemented, to only allow waivers between days 1-99 (as to say, none past the trade deadline, playoffs, or offseason).
Would work just like a trade deadline
so what is the point, then, exactly?
If you are waiving a player, you are in turn cutting/releasing him.

The point of the waiver is to allow teams the ability to claim without the randomness of being first to stake claim

Or I have it wrong on what waivers mean/how it is different from cutting a player.

I dont see this being executed all that much as the players being cut are normally garbage.
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
Craig wrote:
Oregon Ownage wrote:
The Bean Regime wrote:Business as usual meaning a typical cut? :)
Yes
The Bean Regime wrote:Also, will the team be able to ask for anything on the waiver? If it's only straight waivers and your prize is potentially getting rid of a contract, then I support it. I don't like waiver systems where a waiving team can ask for or give things with the player. Also don't like the "can only claim player x if you also claim player y" thing.
While you are ridding the contract, you still take the cut loss (I.E, cut a player on a 2.3 mil salary, you are still docked 2.3 mil. It doesnt magically disappear)
The Bean Regime wrote:ALSOOOOOOO, I propose if it is implemented, to only allow waivers between days 1-99 (as to say, none past the trade deadline, playoffs, or offseason).
Would work just like a trade deadline
so what is the point, then, exactly?
If you are waiving a player, you are in turn cutting/releasing him.

The point of the waiver is to allow teams the ability to claim without the randomness of being first to stake claim

Or I have it wrong on what waivers mean/how it is different from cutting a player.

I dont see this being executed all that much as the players being cut are normally garbage.
Oh, I see. That'd be fine. Exactly the same as cutting, but other teams get a more balanced opportunity to sign the player (if they're worth anything). Does the claiming team then get the player on a regular minimum?

I believe waivers work like this:
Team waives player
If team claims waived player, the player along with his current contract goes to team that claimed (unless there are multiple, then... something happens).
If the player is claimed, then the team who waived the player does not have to pay anything on the contract as it's now with the new team.
If player isn't claimed, then it acts like a regular cut and the player can sign with anyone.

Not sure if that's only how sim leagues tend to do it, or if that's actually how it works in the NBA.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

If we are to follow a more realistic system you inherit the existing contract. Min would only be if the player clears the waiver
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Zyme wrote:If we are to follow a more realistic system you inherit the existing contract. Min would only be if the player clears the waiver
Inheriting is what was suggested, but also the original team still has the money on the books. Also, it was said that a team could trade for the player while the 24-hour waiver claim is going.
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Zyme wrote:If we are to follow a more realistic system you inherit the existing contract. Min would only be if the player clears the waiver
Only if the team has the cap space, by real rule teams can only claim if they can absorb the entire contract through use of an exception or existing salary. So maybe if the guy is cheap and you have your MLE still?
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Oregon Ownage wrote:Can a GM remove an MLE extension on a player that another team put in place before the season starts?

I see both sides of this argument but want to hear what others have to say about it.
Only if the extension was not reflected on the rosters at time of trade posting
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Still no openings? C'mon! Me and EDUARDO are ready to GO!
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Still no openings? C'mon! Me and EDUARDO are ready to GO!
We have a great set of GMs right now and no one has gone missing
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

Hi all,

Wanted to readdress this whole situation where GMs don't respond to PMs.

While I completely understand that people have lives outside of DASL and all, if you are here and are a GM, I would hope that you would respect other people addressing you and respond to them in a timely manner, unless you are going away or on vacation or something, which is completely understandable.

For a GM to not respond, even to come at a later time and to apologize for the delay and all, is completely disrespectful. Please consider this in all conversations that take place. It would really help across the board. It does no good to simply ignore.

Thanks.
---

PistolPeteJR
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Honestly, even saying like "hey PM me again tomorrow or in a couple days, I'll think about it but I'm busy right now" is perfectly fine too.

Just something is better than nothing IMO. Completely agree.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

I do my best to reply to pm's. Sometimes I check on my phone when I'm out and it's a pain to reply until I sit down at my desk .
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

Same here but I do forget if I'm checking on my phone and don't get to it right away
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

It's been pretty quiet here the last few weeks. What can we do to vamp up activity?
---

PistolPeteJR
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

pistolpetejr wrote:It's been pretty quiet here the last few weeks. What can we do to vamp up activity?
Start of summer, happens every year.

I used to worry about the drop but having seen it now for 2 years, it is expected

Plus its playoffs right now and activity drops until draft