GM: Boston Celtics GM

Nets/Kings

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Nets Trade-
Kelly Olynyk

Kings Trade-
Buddy Hield
Wesley Matthews
Kings 2023 1st (All clauses removed, Nets have full rights to the pick)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Re: Nets/Kings

Post by Craig »

Um what?
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:Um what?
"Nets have the options to trade any 1st for Kings 23 1st"

Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Yeah any ‘23 1st... it’s a pick swap option lol it’s pretty standard. I dunno what this is
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:Yeah any ‘23 1st... it’s a pick swap option lol it’s pretty standard. I dunno what this is
That's not what I interpreted or posted. :|

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

So what's the decision on this? I assumed it meant swap with any pick. I posted it in that way, and that's the way I interpreted the PM as well (Which I can share with Craig's approval).

Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

LOL I dunno what to tell you man. Pick swap rights in ‘23 means you can swap your 1st with mine if you choose. I was nice and gave you the opening to switch with any pick you might have, not just yours. I don’t know where this “any year” part is coming from. That’s like...not a thing lol. I don’t really know why you would take something that, admittedly could’ve been more specific I suppose, and jump to a conclusion that nobody ever does. I would think that if something is perhaps a bit vague, you’d draw a conclusion that is closer to the more common scenario.
SUNS GM
Skyhooker
Junior
GM: Philadelphia 76ers

Post by Skyhooker »

I think we're gonna have to see the notes
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:LOL I dunno what to tell you man. Pick swap rights in ‘23 means you can swap your 1st with mine if you choose. I was nice and gave you the opening to switch with any pick you might have, not just yours. I don’t know where this “any year” part is coming from. That’s like...not a thing lol. I don’t really know why you would take something that, admittedly could’ve been more specific I suppose, and jump to a conclusion that nobody ever does. I would think that if something is perhaps a bit vague, you’d draw a conclusion that is closer to the more common scenario.
Have you seen some of the stipulations in trades in this league? You should never assume anything. I legit thought it meant any first I own. Never thought it was limited to a year. I'll let Ownage decide how to interpret that agreed to trade and we'll go from there.

Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

This one is out of my hands. I need you two to come to a resolution. Its not my job to interpret a deal based in wording, both parties need to come to an agreement
BucksGM
Five Star Recruit
GM: Milwaukee Bucks

Post by BucksGM »

If you guys can’t come to an agreement, post the notes and put up a poll? :?:
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Craig wrote:LOL I dunno what to tell you man. Pick swap rights in ‘23 means you can swap your 1st with mine if you choose. I was nice and gave you the opening to switch with any pick you might have, not just yours. I don’t know where this “any year” part is coming from. That’s like...not a thing lol. I don’t really know why you would take something that, admittedly could’ve been more specific I suppose, and jump to a conclusion that nobody ever does. I would think that if something is perhaps a bit vague, you’d draw a conclusion that is closer to the more common scenario.
Have you seen some of the stipulations in trades in this league? You should never assume anything. I legit thought it meant any first I own. Never thought it was limited to a year. I'll let Ownage decide how to interpret that agreed to trade and we'll go from there.
You can tell me not to assume, but you assumed just as much (more IMO) because I never said any year. Even as I meant it you could just sell off a bench player for the 1st of the team with the best record in ‘23 and bend me over that way.
SUNS GM
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I have no dog in this fight but from an outsiders perspective it seems if it wasn't specified then what Nets did is okay.

Having said that, I get where Craig might be a little perturbed if his "understanding" wasn't the same. To which I'd say unfortunately something similar happened to me many seasons ago and I have instituted a no trade clause with that team forever and always - lol.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think notes would probably be helpful to render a decision.....

Similar to bells, I have been burned in the past by not being very clear and concise in my wording in trades so I feel for Craig.

It does say 'Any 1st' though as opposed to pick swap option. IDK, I go back and forth on this. We need a lawyer.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

My only opinion is was how I read it originally when the trade was made and that was it would be any pick of that same year, cause that's how all of these swaps have ever worked.