Terry Tyler (tradeback available)
Mark West
85 1st
86 2nd

Grizzlies Send:
Dan Issel
Robert Reid
84 2nd Hornets

I might be making a deal with the devil with all the moves the Grizzlies are making lol but I feel like since Wingate is likely not resigning I would rather trade for a big man.
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: Sonics/Grizzlies trade

Post by offtheheezy »

Accept, just stockpiling more draft picks. My division is getting strong :lol:
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

interesting.. Seattle looking good once they get Tyler back.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

GM speak: I wouldnt do this deal for many reasons: cap locked moving forward with English/Reid (Tyler is better value than Reid), dealing a future pick when this trade doesnt help too much esp if Sonics lose Wingate and at best Sonics will just be spinning tires around 7/8 seed with this roster core.

Commish speak: I cant allow this trade to be processed as currently constructed for the reasons outlined above as the deal can be a killer for the Sonics beyond the 1st next year with those deals just rising in cap and no young players around to grow with.
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

Oregon Ownage wrote:GM speak: I wouldnt do this deal for many reasons: cap locked moving forward with English/Reid (Tyler is better value than Reid), dealing a future pick when this trade doesnt help too much esp if Sonics lose Wingate and at best Sonics will just be spinning tires around 7/8 seed with this roster core.

Commish speak: I cant allow this trade to be processed as currently constructed for the reasons outlined above as the deal can be a killer for the Sonics beyond the 1st next year with those deals just rising in cap and no young players around to grow with.
Hm..I'm a bit confused here. I actually offered this deal for the 84 1st, but Sonics preferred the 85 1st. I don't think Reid would be the guy limiting them contractually, this is an issue they will have with English regardless of this deal or not. And Tyler will be traded back after day 30 for contract match. Given that they've extended English, I don't know if they will find a better deal that will help them actually make use of English for this cost.

Last year Issel was traded for 2 1sts alone for a chance to win. I guess you are saying you would almost rather have only Issel for a 1st than a long-term contract?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’m 50/50 and if Sonics had been around longer would allow it but I totally see why commish won’t allow it

Issel is good now, but this does lock in Sonics as a good, but not great team. I think as long as the 85 pick is top 8-10 protected it would be better
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I’m 50/50 and if Sonics had been around longer would allow it but I totally see why commish won’t allow it

Issel is good now, but this does lock in Sonics as a good, but not great team. I think as long as the 85 pick is top 8-10 protected it would be better
I do think the deal would look probably better if it was the 84 1st, since you guarantee Issel's presence and a probable guaranteed playoff position (they were 7th last year with this same core), which I leave up to the Sonics but seems like the issue is more the contracts by the commish than the 1st if I understand properly
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

Damn well ig I can sit on it a little, maybe I can revisit this after FA period.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

offtheheezy wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I’m 50/50 and if Sonics had been around longer would allow it but I totally see why commish won’t allow it

I do think the deal would look probably better if it was the 84 1st, since you guarantee Issel's presence and a probable guaranteed playoff position (they were 7th last year with this same core), which I leave up to the Sonics but seems like the issue is more the contracts by the commish than the 1st if I understand properly
Its that Vincent is new as Lukey mentioned plus dealing the future pick is fine if you are getting a player that will help for years and Issel is not that player. We dont know how Issel will fare in TC at age 35 and then Issel wont help propel the Sonics to anything more than a low end playoff team. When Issel was dealt last year, he was going to a team who could compete in the playoffs so its not fair to compare the two.

Its multifaceted and with new players I err on the side of caution. The last thing I want (for the better of the league) is a new GM to make a move that nukes the team and it kills their excitement and they leave and we are now stuck without a GM for a dead team.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Hmm interesting. I wouldn't personally do the deal, but don't think it's that bad. Good point about the cap not changing in the future. That does make a different. So ya, it doesn't bode well for Seattle long-term (as far as cap space). However, I do think they'd be a top 5/6 seed with Tyler back + Wingate, which isn't bad at all.

Offtheheezy soudns like he would do the deal for '84. Just change to that?
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Hmm interesting. I wouldn't personally do the deal, but don't think it's that bad. Good point about the cap not changing in the future. That does make a different. So ya, it doesn't bode well for Seattle long-term (as far as cap space). However, I do think they'd be a top 5/6 seed with Tyler back + Wingate, which isn't bad at all.

Offtheheezy soudns like he would do the deal for '84. Just change to that?
I'm ok with 84 1st but I don't know how exciting it would be from the Sonics side to take the deal after everyone said this is bad :lol:.
chipper
Four Star Recruit
GM: Indiana Pacers

Post by chipper »

I mean I LIKE Reid and Issel- I would have sent the Clippers an expiring Freeman Williams and another expiring for Reid honestly. But this is wow.

And to combat "well why didn't you"- work was busy the last couple of days and it slipped my mind.
Pacers GM.
chipper
Four Star Recruit
GM: Indiana Pacers

Re: Sonics/Grizzlies

Post by chipper »

Guessing trade is off since Issel already got re-dealt lol.
Pacers GM.
offtheheezy
Senior

Re: Sonics/Grizzlies

Post by offtheheezy »

Yeah, and salaries don't work anymore bc Sonics got Wingate back. Deal is dead