Grizzlies send:
Tony Campbell
1985 1st rounder next lowest to Sonics 1st rounder
1985 second highest 2nd rounder

Sonics send:
Brian Martin
Mark West
Vet FA
1985 1st rounder (if lower than all of Grizzlies 1st rounders add 1985 Nuggets 2nd rounder)

This is basically my last ditch attempt at competing and with the amount of picks the Grizzlies have trading one pick down shouldnt drop me too far down. And this helps clear some duds on my roster.
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: Sonics/Grizzlies

Post by offtheheezy »

Accept
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

8 for 2

I need to cut 6 since I already have 15 on my roster.

Pre-trade, cut:
Gar Heard

Post-trade, cut:
Trevor Buckner
Scott May
Vet FA
Vet FA
MLE
Last edited by offtheheezy on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

To clarify the terms of the draft, it's basically a pick swap.

I get the Sonics 85 1st, and he gets the pick closest to his position out of the 4 I have right now (Grizzlies, Lakers, Timberwolves, Knicks).

If Sonics end up lower than all of my picks, he keeps his pick and I just get the Nuggets 2nd rounder. I still send the second highest 2nd I have.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

vincent1469 wrote:First trade:

Grizzlies send:
Freeman Williams

Sonics send:
Trevor Buckner
Carl Nicks
Scott May
MLE
Vet FA

Second trade:

Grizzlies send:
Tony Campbell

Sonics send:
Brian Martin
Mark West
Vet FA
1985 1st rounder (if lower than all of Grizzlies 1st rounders add 1985 Nuggets 2nd rounder)

This is basically my last ditch attempt at competing and with the amount of picks the Grizzlies have trading one pick down shouldnt drop me too far down. And this helps clear some duds on my roster.
Ok many things here:

1. SuperSonics need 1 cut before I can sign the VET FA and MLE
2. Grizzlies need to cut 4 players before I can execute trade 1
3. Grizzlies will need another 2 cuts after trade 1
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
vincent1469 wrote:First trade:

Grizzlies send:
Freeman Williams

Sonics send:
Trevor Buckner
Carl Nicks
Scott May
MLE
Vet FA

Second trade:

Grizzlies send:
Tony Campbell

Sonics send:
Brian Martin
Mark West
Vet FA

Ok many things here:

1. SuperSonics need 1 cut before I can sign the VET FA and MLE
2. Grizzlies need to cut 4 players before I can execute trade 1
3. Grizzlies will need another 2 cuts after trade 1
Oh I see. Here's the way we can make it easier and Sonics don't have to cut anyone.

1. Grizzlies cut Gar Heard, Clayton Semjonova, Jonah Havlicek (leaving me with 12 players)
2. Sonics Sign Jim Chones (Vet FA) (leaving them with 15 players) & execute Trade 2 (leaving them with 13 players post trade execution, and me with 14 players)
3. Grizzlies cut Ken Bannister, Quinn Buckner, Jim Chones (Vet FA) from Trade 2 (leaving me with 11 players)
4. Sonics sign Louis McDermott (MLE), John Mengelt (Vet FA) (leaving them with 15 players) & execute Trade 1 (leaving me with 15 players, and Sonics 11 players)

That should leave Grizzlies with 15 spots after both trades.
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

yeah this is a bad idea right?
SUNS GM
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

Craig wrote:yeah this is a bad idea right?
Idk I’m moving a few picks down and throwing out alot of my duds from this year for two good bench players and a second rounder. Maybe theres something I missed? I havent been doing this for very long lmao
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

I think the best case scenario (that's somewhat realistic) is you're moving from like #7 to #15 for Williams, who isn't going to do much for you. Not great value. And there are other outcomes that look even worse that are far from unlikely. Also what's to stop the Grizz from trading that MIN pick and really screwing you?

The highest upside in the deal is you finish with a better pick than VAN and get to keep it, along with Williams. But the odds of that are pretty low.

I just don't think dealing your pick is a move you should be making. But hey maybe it works out.
SUNS GM
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

Craig wrote:I think the best case scenario (that's somewhat realistic) is you're moving from like #7 to #15 for Williams, who isn't going to do much for you. Not great value. And there are other outcomes that look even worse that are far from unlikely. Also what's to stop the Grizz from trading that MIN pick and really screwing you?

The highest upside in the deal is you finish with a better pick than VAN and get to keep it, along with Williams. But the odds of that are pretty low.

I just don't think dealing your pick is a move you should be making. But hey maybe it works out.
Alright fair enough. I mostly assumed the Grizzlies wouldnt trade their other picks since they were tanking but anything could happen. I think that I’ll still go through with it but I’ll try and keep note of stuff like this when making trades.
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

oh, my understanding as a part of this trade was that i wouldn't be able to trade my other picks without at least running it by Sonics first. i thought that was what pick swap implied so will restrict myself as well
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Craig wrote:I think the best case scenario (that's somewhat realistic) is you're moving from like #7 to #15 for Williams, who isn't going to do much for you. Not great value. And there are other outcomes that look even worse that are far from unlikely. Also what's to stop the Grizz from trading that MIN pick and really screwing you?

As a rule of thumb:

If you are top 10 lottery team - dont trade your 1st unless you are getting a stud (more likely than not this happens around draft time)

If you are top of lottery/fringe team - you can deal your first if you are getting a player who can help you the next season and will be better than what you draft

Playoff team - trade your first for a piece (5/6/7th type of player) in an area you are lacking for a playoff push
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Done

I dont see the point in this for the Sonics as Williams doesnt turn them any better to make the playoffs but rather makes them better than other lottery teams which hurts their pick swap

Better to just sit and let the tank happen

Added pick to futures thread
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

offtheheezy wrote:To clarify the terms of the draft, it's basically a pick swap.

I get the Sonics 85 1st, and he gets the pick closest to his position out of the 4 I have right now (Grizzlies, Lakers, Timberwolves, Knicks).

If Sonics end up lower than all of my picks, he keeps his pick and I just get the Nuggets 2nd rounder. I still send the second highest 2nd I have.
Want to make sure I understand this: Sonics are picking 3, Grizzles are 5 so the Sonics send the Nuggets 2nd?

With your wording, is his pick is lower (3 is lower than 5) or do you mean lower in terms of number picked (5 is lower than 3)?
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:To clarify the terms of the draft, it's basically a pick swap.

Want to make sure I understand this: Sonics are picking 3, Grizzles are 5 so the Sonics send the Nuggets 2nd?

With your wording, is his pick is lower (3 is lower than 5) or do you mean lower in terms of number picked (5 is lower than 3)?
Hey yeah it's the latter. So we pick swap so Grizzlies will pick 3, Sonics pick 5, and Sonics keep Nuggets 2nd.