"made in Oregon" sign

Here you can find announcements or post suggestions / questions regarding Chat 4 Quacks

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

05duck
Three Star Recruit

"made in Oregon" sign

Post by 05duck »

Hey all,
I think this has come up before, but its a hot topic right now!
anyone think this is getting out of hand. I could go both ways on this one. I think the UO should be able to do with it as they please, but then should they? The sign has changed before, and will probobly change again at some point. I really think both sides are handling this wrong. The UO is not talking to the city of portland and I've even read that the UO will turn the sign off if they dont get what they want.

I dont understand how this is hurting portland state... People say that the UO is walking on thier toes, I know they are advertising in downtown, but they always have! The UO's main campus is in eugene, but UO has held classes here in portland a lot longer than portland state. Just go up to OHSU, the buliding up there still say "University of Oregon Medical School" on them.

Just thought I would see what Duck Fans have to say about this one.
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Re: "made in Oregon" sign

Post by ducksvb6 »

The sign is not owned by UO. They have a lease with the sign company that owns the sign. While the University would like to alter the sign text it is the sign company that is pursuing the change. Regardless the change if approved will match the font and text size. The text has been changed in the past.

As far as Portland State's toes...

They have been trying to start an Architecture and Allied Arts program. That is a seriously threat to our program. It will compete for state funding and eventual local grants, internships, and many other benefits that local profession provide for the the UO program. PSU receives SIGNIFICANTLY more state funding than UO. Sorry no sympathy for PSU.

If the UO Portland campus is a threat to PSU they are fortunate not to be in an ultra competitive locale like San Diego - UCSD,USD, SDSU, UC San Marcos , National University, and Point Loma Naz,
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Its not like the proposed change is to be "PSU Sucks"...
My god, arent there more important issues to deal with?
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

All universities have to compete for students. But is a neon sign really going to make a kid go to eugene vs psu? No, i dont think so!! I say let the city just have the sign...its not that big of a deal. The UO can put up a new one next to it, or buy 100 billboards across the city
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck