New Hayward Field plans revealed

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

New Hayward Field plans revealed

Post by greenyellow »

The University of Oregon has finally released the plans for the renovation of Heyward Field. Instead of simply adding a few things, it looks like a completely new venue built from scratch. I can see a lot of people not liking how extensive the rebuild is going to be.

https://around.uoregon.edu/hayward
https://hayward.uoregon.edu/about?utm_s ... renovation
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: New Heyward Field plans revealed

Post by UOducksTK1 »

"The design team initially sought to preserve Hayward Field’s landmark east grandstand. Because of numerous factors—a failing structure, noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, tight seating, obstructed sightlines, and virtually no amenities—they asked, “What would Bowerman do?” While no one can know that for sure, it was a unanimous conclusion to look to the future and take a bold, innovative approach."

FWIW, it sounds like they wanted to keep some of its initial character, but that wasn't happening.

Looks nice though!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

People seem to really overlook all of the problems Hayward has because of all the memories they've built inside that stadium. It's an old stadium that has none of amenities or safety features that are needed for today's athletes and fans.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Looks awesome and fixes a lot of the current fields problems (North wind and getting the hammer inside the stadium). Doesn't take out any of the surrounding student rec fields so that's great. Adds classes and space for the human phys department, who currently have the worst facilities of any department on campus. Also looks like it turns 15th into a pedestrian street and adds some water features which is a very good change, that stretch of 15th is one of the uglier parts of campus.

It sucks to lose the old stadium, I love that place and will forever hold it close, but this looks better in every way and may be one of the best track and field facilities in the world. It's time and this is perfect.
burnsduck
High School Drop Out

Post by burnsduck »

It's beautiful!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I love Heyward field. In 1972 I spent everyday of the Olympic trials. Saw several world records set. Had finish line seats. And a program with autographs of most of the athletes. The best one is of Steve Prefontaine just after he won the 5000 race. I still have the program. Lots of memories. But it's time. Place will still be special as it's the fans that make it so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Simple! Love it!
Greenblood
Senior

Re: New Hayward Field plans revealed

Post by Greenblood »

I'm glad gy mentions "all the memories they've built inside that stadium." It's the great UO track and field tradition, started by Bill Hayward himself, brought to a new level by Bill Bowerman, and continued by Bill Dellinger and others that created that tradition in the first place. It had nothing to do with the stands. The East Grandstand, etc., just happened to be there as witnesses to that unfolding tradition.

I have been going to meets off and on at Hayward since the 1975 (I believe the first one I witnessed was Pre's last), always sitting in the "new" (at the time) West Grandstand because they had to tear down the old one in 1973. And yet the tradition went on. Believe me, I don't think I can describe how it feels for me to just walk by and look into Hayward Field when I'm visiting down there. It's just an intangible. And I am thrilled by this upgrade. Undoubtedly, I'll miss some of the old physical elements of it. But I think most would agree that the benefits of the new place will far outweigh what we lose.

Hayward Field (btw, gy, can you correct the spelling on your initial Subject line for this thread?) has gone through numerous changes throughout its life, as almost any heavily used outdoor athletic venue does; this will simply be by far the most extensive, and necessary for the World Championships in 2021.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Stunning!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
DuckfanQuigs
High School Drop Out

Post by DuckfanQuigs »

frogsnouts wrote:Looks awesome and fixes a lot of the current fields problems (North wind and getting the hammer inside the stadium). Doesn't take out any of the surrounding student rec fields so that's great. Adds classes and space for the human phys department, who currently have the worst facilities of any department on campus. Also looks like it turns 15th into a pedestrian street and adds some water features which is a very good change, that stretch of 15th is one of the uglier parts of campus.

It sucks to lose the old stadium, I love that place and will forever hold it close, but this looks better in every way and may be one of the best track and field facilities in the world. It's time and this is perfect.
I agree with some of this but other views seem to show that the north wind will still be a problem. I still wonder about the "Bowerman Boner" in the corner there...
BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

I preferred the design Tinker Hatfield provided in the earlier stages, the design kept the feel of the current Hayward field and those memories.
Growing up, competing and watching all of the past runners, not just the great distance runners but sprinter also. One of my favorites memories was Don Quarrie and Steve Williams coming off the corner in the 200, well probably the 220!
Will the new Hayward field loose the electricity like Matt vs Mac - or I’m just an old dude with old memories.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

They've made some more tweaks to the renderings of the new stadium. Main ones include, moving the tower closer to the east grandstands, making the north end more open, removing the water feature on the north end, and moving the Hayward Field museum under the east grandstands.