GM Rankings 2014 Edition

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

GM Rankings 2014 Edition

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Criteria
#1 - 50% Skill (The DCs you post, the FA Bids you send, the transactions you make, the picks you make, setting up your team for the future, for the present, the comments you make, etc)
#2 - 30% Performance (Winning)
#3 - 20% Activity (A good GM cares about the league)

1st ranking
2nd ranking
(Previous Rankings are in parenthesis)

Since the last rankings by TK, we have lost some great GM's and had turnover across the board. These rankings take into effect your whole league history with more weight for recent performances to break ties.

#1 (#13) Atlanta Hawks - Marzeial
While Marzeial just snuck into the top 10 in regular season wins he did pose back to back clean sweeps in the finals and followed that up with another finals win. The only other team to do that were the Bucks back in 95, 96, 97. Always a solid team that could never broke through finally broke through. They look to have another half decade of competitive teams all without a bonifide superstar, very impressive.

#2 (#12) Orlando Magic - pudgejeff
Third best record in the regular season in DASL coupled with back to back titles in 05 and 06 help propel Pudge to second. He is also very active in contributing to league discussion but ultimately why he is not in the top spot is that he only has two rings to Marzeials three.

#3 (#4) New York Knicks - Zyme
Owner of the most wins in DASL history and while the Knicks have not won a title since 93, he has only missed the playoffs 3 times in league history. The ability to build multiple teams and styles while still consistently getting to the playoffs is very impressive.

#4 (#5) Cleveland Cavaliers - dave
While Dave has not been here as long as other GM's all he has done is win and win at a high level. Capped by his title win in 07 and reaching the finals again in 09. He is very active and really has passion for improving this league. While controversial at times, he is also thought provoking which helps bring discussions to the forefront. His teams play this season however, has been a shock to many. Can he correct it or will father time catch up with his big names?

#5 (#21) Sacramento Kings - Satah
Satah has always produced quality teams built around LeBron James and Brandon Roy. He was able to win the title in 08, but hasn't been back since. His team is positioned well for a run this year and the next couple with Roy and James still in their primes. Can he D. Rose help pull everything together and get another ring?

#6 (#6) Denver Nuggets - Brophdog88
Broph has been here since the beginning and has the 8th best regular season record. He won his only title in 90 and went back to the finals in 99 and 2011. His teams are always consistently good and in contention even when he wants to tank except for this year. How long will he tank is the question moving forward.

#7 (#16) Philadelphia 76ers - Skyhooker
Sky finally broke through and recently won the Finals in 2013 while also coming close in 08 losing to Satah and the Kings. Coming into the league as a rookie, she picked up the game quickly and established very good teams that always competed deep into the playoffs. Like Broph, the Sixers looked destiny for the lottery in the foreseeable future but I expect a return to the playoffs shortly.

#8 (#15) Utah Jazz - bellsduck
Bells is another original member of DASL and has been to the Finals in 05, 07 and 10. Never having the team that could break through but the acquisitions of Cousins and Chandler this off-season could change that. He has a great mix of veterans and youth coming into their primes and in the next rankings you could see the Jazz break the top 5.

#9 (#3) Houston Rockets - Boom
Boom won the Finals in 03, while also appearing in 89, 95 and 02. Recently, the Rockets have fallen on hard times but their outlook looks very promising with multiple 1st round picks coming up and a youthful roster on his hands and a MidWest division in flux.

#10 (#8) Dallas Mavericks - Oregon Ownage
While Ownage owns the 4th most wins in the regular season, the postseason has been horrible to him. His only Finals appearance was in 06 but has been to the playoffs 20 times! He can build teams that get to the playoffs but always fall flat when it matters. He too has decided to tear down after losing Howard and Brooks in FA so it will interesting to see how long it takes for him to get back to the playoffs and lose again.

#11 (#10) Minnesota Timberwolves - FlDuckFan
The Twolves have the distinction of the most wins without a finals appearance. To say the Wolves have been unlucky come postseason is an understatement. They have build some very strong sides but injuries derail the dream everytime. Now he is stuck in the middle of tanking or competing so it will be interesting what direction they decide to take in the off season.

#12 (#14) Phoenix Suns - DrBradBuss
Best youth setup in DASL history. Will it pay off? They were able to reach the Finals in 2013 and lost a heartbreaking Game 7 to the Sixers. Moving forward they will very competitive but that cap number will come into play this off season as Kawhi will be a FA and big decisions are abound. If they are able to keep their star players without losing key pieces then more Finals runs are in their future.

#13 (#18) Washington Bullets - rpmunn
The Bullets are the Wolves of the East. They own the 3rd most wins without finals appearance while having an all time great backcourt in Marbury and Iverson but was never able to reach the Finals. Currently they have pieces in McCollum and LaVine to build around and another lotto pick this year. Future looks bright in Washington.

#14 (#27) Los Angeles Clippers - nray30
I have always respected the Clips for always looking for ways to win but at what cost? Their next available 1st rounder will be in 2018 and are currently the 8 seed in a weak West. They have big money committed for next season so resigning the current squad is a must but unless they find the magic DC they look hampered the next 3 years.

#15 (#19) Chicago Bulls - jibbajabba614
Like the Clips, the Bulls went for it all and grabbed Bosh in the off season. Currently, it looks like a masterstroke. Sitting at the #2 seed in the East and the team is composed of under 30 year old players in their primes but escalating salaries could be their kryptonite to compete at a high level in upcoming seasons.

#16 (N/A) Portland Trail Blazers - EaZyE
The fortunes of the Trail Blazers changed in the off season of the 2011 when they got Louis Williams on a MLE. Since then they have consistently produced playoff teams and made the Finals in 2012 and took two games from the Hawks. The backcourt of Jennings and Williams might be best in DASL currently and they also have Klay Thompson coming off the bench! If they add another piece they could make another charge to the Finals.

#17 (N/A) Toronto Raptors - Dbray07
After many seasons of looking to move Al Jefferson the Raptors finally decided to pull the trigger. The results? They are the practically the same team from 3 years ago, stuck in the lottery but not bad enough to get a top 5 pick. They have pieces in Conley, Len and Randle but it just hasn't come together. Will the Raptors look add this offseason or continue to mire in obscurity?

#18 (#24) Indiana Pacers - dennocj
If it wasn't for the Nets, the Pacers would be the worst team in DASL. They own the 2nd worst record in DASL but that has changed since dennocj took over. Slowly moving out of the sewers and collecting assets. They have a very young team and had hopes of taking the next step this year but that has not exactly worked out. I still like their future mainly Greek freak and Wiggins but they need to add complimentary pieces around them before we seen any improvement.

#19 (N/A) Boston Celtics - verysilentone
Model of consistency. However that consistency has been very mediocre at best. The Celtics have the sixth worst record in DASL and despite getting Tony Parker in FA back in 05, the Celtics have not done anything to build a contender around Parker. They have their 1st rounders moving forward and Mirotic is a nice piece, however, there is no much else to work with.

#20 (#20) Detroit Pistons - Catch 922
Similar to the Clippers, the Pistons are not afraid of trading picks to acquire players. The problem is that it stunts their growth overall as they lose the players they traded for the next off season and dont resign anyone to fill that void. Currently sitting in the 8 seed in the East, it will be interesting to see what they do this year and in the off season to improve or turnover the roster.

#21 (N/A) Los Angeles Lakers - Briezy
Lakers own the 5th worst record in DASL but Briezy has built a nice young base of Lillard, Kanter and Favors. Currently sitting #7 in the West they have a great chance to grow together and be a constant in the top half of the West for many years. I expect the Lakers to see a significant jump in the next rankings.

#22 (N/A) New Jersey Nets - TK
TK, you wanted a challenge and the Nets are it. 26 seasons, 2 playoff appearances and 0 wins! Thats unreal, but I think it is safe to say that will change this season. Going all in trading their next three first rounders, the Nets are looking to win now and I dont blame them with John Wall hitting FA this off season possibly.

#23 (N/A) Milwaukee Bucks - BucksGM
I don't think any one team has had as worse a offseason as the Bucks had this past FA with Cousins and Al Jefferson deciding to skip town. That made their decision to tank that much easier. Getting a potential lottery pick for Batum was a great move and now looked primed to rebuild around Bledsoe and Adams along with a top 3 pick this year. The Bucks still own the most Finals wins with 5 and most playoff wins at 180.

#24 (N/A) Charlotte Hornets - Cellar-door
The Hornets were once a great franchise and fell on hard times before Cellar took over. Since taking over they have been able to build a youthful team centered around Anthony Davis and Ricky Rubio. I like what they have done but havent really tested the FA market yet to improve and take the next step. Hornets still own the 2nd most playoff wins at 142.

#25 (N/A) Seattle SuperSonics - Crowned
Seattle has been another franchise that fell off the map in the recent decade. Crowned took over a bare roster but recently in FA acquired Dwight Howard, Andre Iguodala and traded for Randy Foye. This propelled them to #6 in the West and with Kyrie Irving still improving, the SuperSonics can be good real fast. I like what I have seen from Crowned but a low ranking due to time in the league.

#26 (N/A) San Antonio Spurs - nh333
#27 (N/A) Miami Heat - DakQuack4
#28 (N/A) Golden State Warriors - TualatinDuck

All three joined us this year so not much to go off of. Spurs and Heat were already built to compete in the near term while the Warriors have some ways to go before getting to that level. It will be interesting to see what directions these GM's decide to take their teams in the coming years.

#29 (N/A) Vancouver Grizzlies - Mobruler
One DC posted in 4 years and not showing for the draft in 2 years and not participating in FA has the Grizzlies last in my rankings. This team is on the verge of being very good with some minor moves but the GM needs to be active to showcase the potential of this group of players.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Re: GM Rankings 2014 Edition

Post by Oregon Ownage »

12 new GM's since the last rankings. I had no idea it was that many :shock:

Agree with your spot? Disagree? Let me know your thoughts
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

3 of the top 5 from the initial rankings are not with the league anymore. Big jump for satah. It's cool to see guys like Marzeial and skyhooker in the top 10, who had some rough luck in the previous rankings. Marz on top is crazy to see.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ya Nets will be a playoffs team for the next few years at least, as long as Wall resigns.

And as long as Wade doesn't flop next TC, we should be contenders this year and next.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Bah I dropped out of the top 10! Curse my playoff flops .
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

This is weird to see. Didn't think I'd be on but this is crazy
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Marzeial wrote:This is weird to see. Didn't think I'd be on but this is crazy
UOducksTK1 wrote:3 of the top 5 from the initial rankings are not with the league anymore. Big jump for satah. It's cool to see guys like Marzeial and skyhooker in the top 10, who had some rough luck in the previous rankings. Marz on top is crazy to see.
Most "active" championships greatly help your case
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

2nd is pretty sweet! Wish I could have finished a few more playoff runs. Hoping I'm in the top 5 of all time GM's in the league but that's a tough spot to be in. Got to get at least one more ship and keep that playoff win % up.
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Can't really complain about my spot. Bulls were one of the worst franchises in the east when I started. Had some nice teams but nothing to win a championship with. So I can't complain about #15. I would rank Blazers ahead of me though because he built a great team and hasn't been in the league too long.
Marzeial
Freshman
GM: Atlanta Hawks

Post by Marzeial »

I'd be really interested to see an all-time list. That would be quite interesting
EaZyE
Four Star Recruit
GM: Toronto Raptors GM

Post by EaZyE »

gonna keep working to get my ranking up
Satah
Four Star Recruit
GM: Sacramento Kings

Post by Satah »

Nice article man

Wow, huge leap for me. I expected to be in top 10

I try my best to live up to my hype
2009 DASL Champions - LeBron James named Finals MVP
Bullets Roster
dave
Sophomore
GM: Cleveland Cavaliers

Post by dave »

Marz and Jeff deserve top 2 spots. They've delivered titles.

I think if I didn't lose Brian Grant I would have won another 1-2. Skyhooker probably most underrated on the list and Boom probably most overrated. He had his run with Chapman and since hasn't done a thing.
CLEVLAND CAVS
nray30
Four Star Recruit
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by nray30 »

I don't think my review could be more spot on lol. I struggle with patience, so I am constantly trying to make the most talented team I can. However, even with talented players they don't always mesh well together and that seems to be my biggest problem. Looking forward to these playoffs and the next few seasons. Doc Rivers will bring a title to L.A. eventually, it's only a matter of time.... Thanks again for the great article!
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Marzeial wrote:I'd be really interested to see an all-time list. That would be quite interesting
#1 dd10snoop28

#2 lukeyrid13

Everyone else hahaha