5pt
58%

Total votes: 12
GoNy
Three Star Recruit
GM: Portland Trail Blazers

Trading....

Post by GoNy »

The league has had a number of blockbuster trades, but those are something more for the teams involved to take part in, sort of a reward for getting such a deal to work and be able to agree about it helping their teams out.

I kept waiting, and low and behold, the subject just kept getting to me, until it suddenly resonated enough to warrant the kind of in-depth study and focus worth writing an article.

Roster-me

First, we'll break down the types of trade blocks. The easiest and most popular, it seems is to just post your roster. A few variations might include listing their stats or their player contracts, but they are basically the same.

This is a low-input, low-output option that can result in a trade, but usually they are smaller in size. This is one of those you get what you pay for instances, but usually its exactly what the GM was looking for. Little time is spent actually focusing on anything but the roster.

Usually, the GM is relatively happy with their team and don't wish to make wholesale changes, instead looking for minor upgrades or small tweaks that could possibly pay off, but if they don't, it won't like hurt the team overall.

This method can and is used by any team in any situation, winning or losing, young or old, makes no difference. A happy GM is more than likely not going to do anything much that could upset whatever balance his team has found.

Over-rated

A slight step up from the quick-and-easy trade-block that simply lists a roster is the growing trend of GMs to list most or all of their players in some sort of order that attaches a corresponding value to each asset, grouping them together for easier comparison.

This is by far my favorite method, as it shows a bit more thought into what the GM is thinking and willing to do, but doesn't usually downgrade any player values unless you mistakenly list someone lower than you probably should have. In this case, you'll know it quickly as the trade block will be filled with offers for someone you've under-valued.

It doesn't always net results, but it at least gets others thinking about your team, reading how you rate them, and thinking about if they might value them a bit more and want to deal for them. The only drawback is that you have lost a bit of your advantage in the poker aspect of being a GM by somewhat giving away your hand.

Indecision/Attention

This is more of a general block than any of the others, not because of anything special, just the fact that it displays a luke-warm feel for the player. This usually features a very popular or very talented player name in the title that you'd normally not expect to see available very often.

Most often, this will encourage other teams to make offers, essentially starting a bidding war for said player's services. The worst part about this one is that it gives a lot of GMs false hope that they might actually attain this player.

The big name is there to bring in all of the other GMs to look at the thread, but unless a spectacular deal happens to come their way, the player likely won't be moving. It's no totally unproductive though, as it does bring to light a few other players that teams aren't looking to shop, but are most certainly willing to deal.

And it also generally adds to the activity of the league, in a very indirect way. I'd bet this form is more responsible for other teams making deals than the team that initially started a thread. GMs hate to hear that a player is untouchable, and just the mere mention of a stud being on the trade block drives the trade winds like few of these others can.

IAWTP

The 5 worst words ever posted on a message board: "I am willing to package". I know, they might look innocent enough, and they are not threatening or even that forceful. But anyone that's had control of a virtual team for any length of time at all has either posted or been replied to with this phrase.

I'd be curious to know if any real NBA (or other professional sports leagues) GMs has ever actually used this phrase when speaking to another GM. I mean, there have been some huge deals in the history of sports, and certainly hundreds of trades that could be considered packages, but I honestly doubt they've ever said those words. Anyway

This one perplexes me to no end though, as right off the bat one GM reveals that he has a few players that aren't great, but aren't bad either, and they would like to combine them to make some sort of upgrade. With only so many great players in leagues like this, there is a huge pool of talent that always ends up being the focus of said packages.

Granted, there is a market for this type of thing. Sometime teams get loaded in one aspect of the team, either a lot of frontcourt players, or a lot of guards, or maybe even tons of swingmen. The key to this type of trade is to be offering it to teams interested in making that type of move, and offering a lot of the same type of asset for a completely different type of asset.

For instance, a team rebuilding with youth and picks would have a lot of interest in adding multiple pieces, but they aren't going to be giving up a young, cheap, but better player in return. It totally goes against their plan. A team with a strong starting line-up and no bench also might look to make a package deal, but youth isn't going to help them as much as a few dependable vets might, and they would probably be looking to add them for cheap, rather than give up all that much in the deal.

All-in-all, this is one of those where you have to catch a GM/team in the right place at the right time to make it work. The offers might be totally different, but just about any team in the league has the pieces needed to make a package work, so there is so little demand it can be increasingly frustrating to find a way to make it work.

Desperation

This is the high-risk, possible high-reward method that can vary greatly on the type of deals that result. You have one GM that is totally upset with how his entire team or even an individual player is performing. The desperate GM is almost always going to take a hit in a deal like this. He's got something he doesn't like, he wants to change, and all you have to do is push him in the direction he is already going.

However, the high-reward pay-off isn't guaranteed, either. Sometimes you find out why the previous GM was so unhappy with that player's performance, and other times you find a solid contributor for cheap. This philosophy almost always results in some kind of deal even if it doesn't involve the player initially mentioned.

Anytime you start mentioning specific players you also run the risk of de-valuing the player to the point that you cannot possibly deal him for what is being offered. That puts you into a bit of a corner as well, seeing as how a player you really wanted to be rid of now is stuck on your roster.

Overkill

As bad as desperation is, there is one that's worse than almost all of the others combined, at least in my opinion. Seeing the same thing repeated again and again means that the GM has set his mind on who he wants so bad, that nothing else matters until they get it. It means that all other trade talk with that GM becomes secondary and almost pointless.

I most certainly applaud any GM that is that certain about the direction he wants to go with the franchise, and cannot fault them for it. But if the deal isn't out there immediately, changing your tactic to pursuing specific players instead of trying to make the deal come to you is much more likely to work in the long run.

And at the very least, once you've exhausted your search and either made a trade or were unable to find anything, you can move on to other ideas. Or revisit the trade with a few different players that might have been suggested by others.

The more you push a certain type of deal for a specific player like wanting only expiring contracts and draft picks or are focused only on adding youth, the more other GMS see that there just isn't a demand for that kind of deal to happen.

Older players are being shopped for a reason. Players with outrageous contracts are being dealt for a reason; they aren't in their plans and have outlived their usefulness. It's better to try to see what you can get for a player and then decide what to want in return, than to hopelessly wait around for a perfect deal that hasn't shown up before and likely won't ever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, patience and diligence are often the best way to go about improving your team through trades. Focusing too much on a certain player or type of trade is only going to limit the GMs interested in trading and will certainly hinder your ability to trade at all, quite often putting you in the precarious situation of having to deal with still having that player and having fewer options when making trades in the future..

Hope this helps guys... :D :lol: :D
Last edited by GoNy on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoNy
Three Star Recruit

Re: Trading....

Post by GoNy »

Guess this was too much to read!! I’ll keep it shorter next time!
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

GoNy wrote:Guess this was too much to read!! I’ll keep it shorter next time!
I appreciate your activity. Thanks for putting in the effort to demonstrate more interest in the league. (:
---

PistolPeteJR
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

I think I'm more of the "Indecision/Attention" guy
GoNy
Three Star Recruit

Post by GoNy »

FlDuckFan wrote:I think I'm more of the "Indecision/Attention" guy
You think?
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

GoNy wrote:
You think?
Eh.. Maybe..
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoNy wrote:
You think?
Ha

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoNy
Three Star Recruit

Post by GoNy »

can i get a poll please..
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

GoNy wrote:can i get a poll please..
You can add it yourself at the bottom of the edit screen. :)
GoNy
Three Star Recruit

Post by GoNy »

so when can I get these added to my team?
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Please vote, need 10 votes
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

Oregon Ownage wrote:Please vote, need 10 votes