+5
90%

Total votes: 10
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Best 2nd Rounders of the 2024-2028 DASL Drafts

Post by The Bean Regime »

Note: I was going to wait until the season started to see where the players end up as many are currently free agents, but I’m impatient. I’m hoping this counts for the upcoming season and will put a poll for such, but it’s fine if it does not. Just let me know. I will assume it counts if I don't hear anything. ;)

The 2nd rounders making this list should be applauded regardless of their rank or lack thereof. Carving out at least 6 years in the DASL isn’t an easy achievement for these late draftees. Of the 143 players drafted in the second round during this period, only 13 players (9.09%) were on rosters for the 2034 season Here are the three draftees that didn’t quite make the top ten and their respective stats, in no particular order:

C Bryson Warren: 4 games, 3.5 MPG, 0.5/1.5/0.0/0.0/0.0, 0.3 TOPG and a 14.3 FG%
PG Jahseem Felton: 31 games, 7.7 MPG, 2.5/0.4/1.7/0.5/0.2, 0.9 TOPG and a 45.2 FG%
PF Julian Reed: 69 games, 12.5 MPG, 2.4/4.6/0.5/0.3/0.4, 0.8 TOPG and a 40.5 FG%

And for the top 10 ranking:

#10) SG JR Reid
Drafted #41 overall by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2027 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 21 C+ A- C C+ C B
Current ratings: 28 C+ A C- B+ C C
Season stats: 27 games, 11.3 MPG, 2.7/1.9/0.8/0.9/0.2, 0.6 TOPG and a 37.8 FG%
Despite an excellent shooting stroke (career 46.6 FG%, 95.6 FT%, 40.8 3PT%), Reid has never been able to translate the talent to a high PPG average. His highest total was 7.2 PPG in 22 MPG for the Suns in 2032. However, the aforementioned range and good defense has kept him on depth charts for contending teams. Throughout his career, he has played 342 games averaging 13.1 MPG, and has earned 3 championship rings for his troubles.

#9) SF Robert Dillingham
Drafted #33 overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2027 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 22 B- B+ C C+ C B
Current ratings: 29 B- A- C B C D
Season stats: 35 games, 17.9 MPG, 6.1/3.3/1.3/0.9/0.2, 0.9 TOPG and a 42.9 FG%
Dillingham is a similar situation to Reid. An excellent shooter (career 45.9 FG%, 86.3 FT%, 40.8 3PT%) that has never put it together fully. However, on a per-minute basis, he scores more than Reid while being a bigger presence in the post and on the boards, though that is to be expected for a forward. Much like Reid, he’s a career journeyman who has gotten himself 1 championship ring as a role player.

#8) SG Adrian Griffin Jr.
Drafted #37 overall by the Houston Rockets in the 2026 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 23 B C+ C A- C C
Current ratings: 31 B C+ C A C C
Season stats: 82 games, 15.2 MPG, 6.0/2.5/1.0/1.1/0.0, 1.0 TOPG and a 42.9 FG%
Griffin came into the league pretty much at his peak, and teams know what they are getting from him. Although his range is terrible (career 66.4 FT%, 31.8 3PT%), he brings a solid offense through slashing and post play while being an elite defender. In his one starting season, he averaged 12.8 PPG and 5.8 RPG, satisfactory numbers for a starting SG on a contender with other options. Much like those before him, he has a championship ring to his resume, and even a couple player of the game nominations. There seems to be a pattern so far.

#7) SG Bryce Harrison
Drafted #53 overall by the Charlotte Hornets in the 2026 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 20 C B C A C- C
Current ratings: 28 C+ A C A C- C
Season stats: 79 games, 13.7 MPG, 6.5/1.6/1.1/1.0/0.1, 0.9 TOPG and a 46.1 FG%
Although he looks pretty, Harrison has never had a starting season and only two seasons over 20 MPG. Despite the limited minutes, Harrison has shown excellent range and is likely the best at stealing the ball on this list. Unfortunately, outside of those stats he is a bit lackluster. He has two championship rings, 1 player of the game designation, and 3 double doubles. Even if he gets a starting season under his belt, it’d be hard seeing Harrison jump any slots on this list.

#6) PF Carl Parrish
Drafted #58 overall by the Vancouver Grizzlies in the 2026 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 22 C+ B- C C B+ B
Current ratings: 30 B B C B- A D
Season stats: 71 games, 20.8 MPG, 9.1/7.6/1.8/0.5/1.5, 1.5 TOPG and a 46.3 FG%
Being the last pick of the draft, Parrish has shown the most improvement by far out of the nominations mentioned so far. He is an elite rebounder and has a completely balanced game with solid rim protection to boot. Although he doesn’t shoot them often, his career 42.7 3PT% brings a threat to an offense that most PFs do not provide. In his only starting season, on the Kings 2032 squad, Parrish managed a very good statline of 14.6 PPG, 12.5 RPG, 3.6 APG, 0.8 SPG, 1.9 BPG, and a whopping 64.5 3PT% on nearly 1.7 3PA per game. However, he only played 37 games that season, though I’m not sure if he was replaced or injured. Although he is the first player listed with no championship rings, he dominates in player of the game nominations (11) and double doubles (84).

#5) SF Jackson Shelsted
Drafted #36 overall by the Dallas Mavericks in the 2027 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 22 C+ B B- B+ C C
Current ratings: 29 C+ A C B C+ D
Season stats: 72 games, 37.1 MPG, 15.3/7.0/2.7/1.8/0.2/2.0 on a 45.9 FG%
Although he quickly abandoned his point-forward ways, Shelsted has put together a quite good career so far. Being an absolutely lights-out 3PT shooter at a career 44 3PT% on nearly 4 3PA per game, he put up two seasons above 21 PPG for the Celtics. Like Parrish, Shelsted provides a good all-around game with above-average rebounding for his position. His defense isn’t quite good enough for a 3-and-d designation, but he’s a good starter that will fit in any team’s gameplan. He has one championship ring, 20 player of the game designations, and 54 double doubles.

#4) PG Robert Diaz
Drafted #32 overall by the Golden State Warriors in the 2027 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 22 C- C A A C B
Current ratings: 29 C- B A- A C- D
Season stats: 77 games, 11.9 MPG, 4.4/1.4/2.8/0.7/0.1, 0.7 TOPG and a 38.9 FG%
His Suns stint has been underwhelming, even on a per-minute basis, but Diaz has shown that he is a good starting PG. His starting seasons for the Warriors and Trailblazers have shown a very efficient PG that can rebound, play elite defense, and is among the best playmakers in the league. Particularly during his Trailblazers stint, Diaz showed just how good he can be with two seasons of 15+ PPG, 9+ APG, and one of those seasons averaging only 1.8 TOPG with a very high 39.7 MPG. He even developed a respectable 3PT shot during those seasons, shooting a 37.6 3PT% on nearly 3 3PA per game during those Trailblazers seasons. He is the first player listed with either player of the week designations (2) or triple doubles (7).

#3) C Cameron Barnes-Muhammad
Drafted #57 overall by the Sacramento Kings in the 2027 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 22 B- C D C+ B B
Current ratings: 29 B- C C- B+ A B
Season stats: 82 games, 31.1 MPG, 8.7/11.5/1.4/1.0/2.5, 1.0 TOPG and a 36.8 FG%
Other than his rookie season on the Hawks, Barnes-Muhammad has been a starter every season of his career and has found a place on the Pacers, having just finished his 5th season for them and being under contract for three more. It’s unusual for a 2nd rounder to stick with one team for so long, and that speaks to his talent. Barnes-Muhammad brings what every GM wants from their center: great rim protection and rebounding. Although he is lackluster scoring wise, with 3 seasons under 10 PPG and a 37.3 FG% or less in each, he has shown some scoring ability and is among the best when it comes to not turning the ball over. He has 17 player of the game designations and a leading 188 double doubles.

#2) SF Wyatt Salling
Drafted #41 overall by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2028 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 19 C B+ C B- C+ C
Current ratings: 25 C+ A- C B+ B- B
Season stats: 82 games, 34.0 MPG, 18.2/6.0/2.3/1.1/0.6, 3.0 TOPG and a 46.1 FG%
Entering the league at only 19, Salling is much younger than his peers on this list. Like Barnes-Muhammed, Salling spent 5 seasons with the Hawks before going to the Utah Jazz last season. Unlike Barnes-Muhammed, Salling has only started two of his six seasons, one being his rookie year. You could swap #3 and #2 here and I wouldn’t complain, but Salling has been able to score efficiently most of his career while providing another presence for opponents to watch on the offensive boards. If there’s one aspect of his game that prevents consideration for the #1 slot, it’s his turnovers. Although he started his first two seasons at reasonable numbers, his last 4 he has been far too turnover-prone for contenders to start him at SF. He has been at a <1 a/to ratio for the last 4 seasons and that is unacceptable for a player who is neither an elite scorer (though very capable) nor elite defender. Salling has 6 player of the game designations and 19 double doubles.

#1) SG DeMarcus Singleton
Drafted #44 overall by the Orlando Magic in the 2026 DASL draft
Drafted ratings: 21 B- B C B C C
Current ratings: 29 B- A- C B+ C D
Season stats: 77 games, 34.5 MPG, 17.5/5.3/2.4/1.7/0.2, 1.5 TOPG and a 44.4 FG%
Although Singleton isn’t a superstar by any measure, he is a complete player that is highly effective in every measure of the game. He is very efficient with a career 45.0 FG%, 80.5 FT%, and 39.6 3PT% with only 1.1 TOPG in 25.8 MPG. Although not quite as good of a scorer as Shelsted or Salling, he is no slouch when it comes to putting balls in baskets. He is a better defender than either Shelsted or Salling and is the best at forcing turnovers other than maybe Harrison. He is an above average rebounder for a guard and puts out a respectable a/to ratio. He has 11 player of the game designations and 27 double doubles.

Some notes for the draft classes:

No players from the 2025 or 2024 DASL drafts were on a roster at the end of the 2034 DASL season. If a player was on a roster but played 0 minutes, they would still show. While this may suggest the players don’t make it to their 9th seasons before fizzling out, it is much more likely it was just weak drafts as plenty of these players mentioned in this article will be around for many more years.

These picks were more evenly spread out, with 4 picked between 30-39, 3 picked 40-49, and 3 between 50-58. As opposed to the last article, where 6 were picked between 30-39, 4 between 40-49, and none past 50. The 2024-2028 classes show that good players are potentially available even at the end.

Both articles have shown that the second round has both projects and DASL-ready-types that go on to have good careers in the league. I was curious if one would be heavily favoured, and that does not seem to be the case. Although, I do think there is a slight favor to the more DASL-ready players.

Overall, this was a fun look into the later round and its potential. I might go back another 5, but that would just be a post to see who has made it that long if anybody, not a full-fledged article. Hell, I might as well make it 8 to really capture those potential oldies hanging around.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Re: Best 2nd Rounders of the 2024-2028 DASL Drafts

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Jackson Shelsted is too low at #5. He has played for playoff teams and contributed in the post season. The others ahead of him not so much other than Diaz and Singleton and thats a huge factor IMO
The Bean Regime
Senior

Oregon Ownage wrote:Jackson Shelsted is too low at #5. He has played for playoff teams and contributed in the post season. The others ahead of him not so much other than Diaz and Singleton and thats a huge factor IMO
If these were star players, I'd put more stock into team success. However, as the best of these guys are probably projected as the 4th or 5th best players on contenders, I weighed it less. Can you really blame Barnes-Muhammed for the Pacer's 7-game-series loss in the 1st round after putting up a very respectable performance against Goga Bitadze?

But I don't mind the sentiment. I think 2 through 5 are interchangeable without much argument, with a comfortable but not large gap between #2 and Singleton's #1 ranking.
The Bean Regime
Senior

I had forgotten about this. Hope 5 to 1 for +5 is good. If it's not, I can vote and make it 6 to 1. :lol:

Change it up a bit.

James Gottlieb
+5 jumpshot, inside, strength, jumping

If those don't work

Chris Paul II
+5 strength, perimeter D, quickness, defensive rebounding
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

The Bean Regime wrote:I had forgotten about this. Hope 5 to 1 for +5 is good. If it's not, I can vote and make it 6 to 1. :lol:

Change it up a bit.

James Gottlieb
+5 jumpshot, inside, strength, jumping

If those don't work

Chris Paul II
+5 strength, perimeter D, quickness, defensive rebounding
Done